Favorite Chicago Food Spots

flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
Because they ONLY take cash is what I derived. Its funny to see how shocked people are at cash only places these days, people get downright ANGRY.

I know...i get pissed sometimes because I hate carrying cash around with me for some reason

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
I know...i get pissed sometimes because I hate carrying cash around with me for some reason

Plastic has conditioned us to avoid cash. Living where I do, I have to carry cash whether its for a cab, valet, dinner, convenience store visit, its all cash all the time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Plastic has conditioned us to avoid cash. Living where I do, I have to carry cash whether its for a cab, valet, dinner, convenience store visit, its all cash all the time.

I hate carrying cash. I used the debit card as much as possible.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)

My g/f lives in around west loop, when we need a cab we tell them we only have debit card so take it or leave it. We haven't had any deny us recently

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Nice, I'll have to check that out...do you mean a lot of cash because it's expense, or a lot of cash to try a bunch of things? They have no website to check so I just want to make sure

i meant bring lots of cash because you're going to want to buy A LOT :)

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
I used to frequent pasta palazzo quite often and yes i highly recommend it as well. My favorite pasta place bar none is Pasta Fresh over on Harlem and Roscoe. I was told about this place by this couple that lives next door to me that fairly recently moved to the States from Italy and they completely swear by this place having the most authentic dishes in the city. The place only accepts cash and its only the husband and wife making the pasta on the spot for you so i recommend taking a lot of cash if you ever go there.

I've lived near this area for a good 20 years, and have passed Pasta Fresh hundreds of times, but I've never heard of any reviews or anyone ever talk about it. But, thanks to your recommendation, I'll give it a try.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
I've lived near this area for a good 20 years, and have passed Pasta Fresh hundreds of times, but I've never heard of any reviews or anyone ever talk about it. But, thanks to your recommendation, I'll give it a try.

you wont regret it! if you're confused as to what to order, just ask what they highly recommend and you will NOT be let down :)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
I'm going to lunch at Portillos today. First time. What should I get? GO...

like everyone says, italian beef sammich with peppers and maybe mozzarella cheese if youre a dairy fan. also another important step is to get it dipped! after that, welcome to chicago :ph34r:

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
like everyone says, italian beef sammich with peppers and maybe mozzarella cheese if youre a dairy fan. also another important step is to get it dipped! after that, welcome to chicago :ph34r:

I was born and raised in Chicago.

Anyway, I got a hot dog and a burger, cheese fries and a banana smoothie. Awesome.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
I was born and raised in Chicago.

Anyway, I got a hot dog and a burger, cheese fries and a banana smoothie. Awesome.

i was just poking a little fun, sort of like a guy from philly never having a philly cheesesteak but this is a guy from chicago first-timing at portillos :D

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
Finally got to Kuma's Corner last night. There was a two hour wait for the two of us, but we got spots at the bar 45 minutes in. Got the Metallica burger and it was pretty f***ing good.

I bet it tasted much better in 1986.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
que?

Obviously you have never had the pleasure of being in the company of drunk metalheads who can argue incessantly over exactly when Metallica sold out, jumped the shark etc. All said metalheads will say 1986 was still high water for the band.

Not being a huge Megadeth fan nor a metalhead of any kind, I cannot chime in with any authority. But I can enjoy the drunken conversations.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Smith and Wolinsky's best aged steak you can get in the city IMO, beautiful location on the river off of State St.

Shaws Crab house has great king crab legs and cakes. Which is also on north State St.

David Burke's Primehouse @ the James Hotel is the best steakhouse in Chicago in my opinion. Arguably my favorite restaurant in the city as well.

Other spots I've enjoyed:

Rose Angelis (no reservations - very good italian though)

Chilam Balam (no reservations on the weekends past 6pm, BYOB though!)

The Publican (didn't think it was all that great originally, but have enjoyed it the couple times I've been back)

Follia (another good italian spot)

Hub 51 (best way I can describe it is higher quality bar food, it's a cool space as well)

and if you're one to ridiculously spoil yourself every now and then:

L20

Edited by Fotop

QUOTE (Fotop @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 02:06 AM)

L20

lol L20 is pretty ridiculous, almost as much as Alinea where it will cost you at the very least $400 per person. If you go there you better take someone you reeeaaaaaaaaalllyyyyy love :lolhitting

QUOTE (Fotop @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 02:06 AM)
David Burke's Primehouse @ the James Hotel is the best steakhouse in Chicago in my opinion. Arguably my favorite restaurant in the city as well.

Other spots I've enjoyed:

Rose Angelis (no reservations - very good italian though)

Chilam Balam (no reservations on the weekends past 6pm, BYOB though!)

The Publican (didn't think it was all that great originally, but have enjoyed it the couple times I've been back)

Follia (another good italian spot)

Hub 51 (best way I can describe it is higher quality bar food, it's a cool space as well)

L20

Best damn chicken nachos you will EVER eat

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
lol L20 is pretty ridiculous, almost as much as Alinea where it will cost you at the very least $400 per person. If you go there you better take someone you reeeaaaaaaaaalllyyyyy love :lolhitting

I had a $100 gift card when I went there, which helped....only slightly. :P

I think all in it was $500 for two (incl tax/tip), for the full tasting menu and that included a reasonably priced bottle of wine. So yeah, like I said ridiculously expensive. At the same time I think it was well worth it - probably the best dinner I've ever had in the city, great food, great service, and great memories due to the interesting dishes/surroundings/tour of the kitchen and such afterward. In my opinion, it's worth the money on special occasions, and I think the next time my choice would be Alinea if only because I've yet to go there.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 01:54 AM)
The Garlic Noodles and Beef Lollipops at Sunda are fantastic...love it.

Ahhh forgot Sunda. That's a good spot too - only issue I had there was the service. We had a reservation, but it still took them 45 mins to seat us. Pretty silly, in my opinion.

The food is damn tasty though - once you get to the table.