Favorite Chicago Food Spots

flippedoutpunk

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
Amazing Diner. Ingredients always made from scratch, never out of the freezer, quite possibly the highest quality 24 hour diner i have ever been to.

Went to high school just up the road at Ignatius, so we'd hit it up regularly if we weren't already blowing our money on Al's Beef or Mario's Italian Lemonade.

I've never had grilled hash browns as good anywhere else as White Palace.

I miss Chicago food so much right now.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 07:05 PM)
Just had some of the greatest texas style brisket ever at this place called "Smoque" over on addison and pulaski. Someone told me that the place was shown on the food network channel so I had to check it out and boy did they deliver. Its hard to find a place with good brisket in chicago but this place nailed it!

I live right by Smoque and the BBQ there is definitely awesome. If you want another good BBQ spot, Fat Willy's on Western, between Diversey & Fullerton is great too

Portillos is another great spot to hit up. There are so many locations, but the Italian beef is so good, and everything else on the menu hits the spot too

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
White Palace Grill on Canal and Roosevelt and Lawrence's Fish Market were first choice. Harold's Chicken or Rosie's Gyros worked as well. Fox's thin crust was not me favorite but it's right up there, and the one on Western used to be open late enough for a drunk pizza.

Oh hell yes. Great taste you have sir. :)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
Manny's Deli. End of discussion.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
ooo Mannys a longtime favorite of mine. Nothing like a corned beef sandwhich done right and a matzo ball soup, yummmmm!

The other day I told my friends we were gonna drive up to Chicago one of these days and I'd bring them there.

Also, is it just me, or does the Manny's in Midway kinda suck? It needs Gino-plate-flipping.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 02:24 AM)
The other day I told my friends we were gonna drive up to Chicago one of these days and I'd bring them there.

Also, is it just me, or does the Manny's in Midway kinda suck? It needs Gino-plate-flipping.

hmm, i was unaware of another Mannys being in existence! lol

Maza Lebanese restaurant on Lincoln (around Wrightwood, I think) is excellent fine dining for a not too high price. The raw kibbe is unbelievable.

Also, Tango Sur Argentinian steakhouse on Southport by the Music Box Theatre is a great steak place to go with a date or a group of friends, particularly in the summer time.

Margie's on Western and Armitage is a great old ice cream shoppe (not so great on the meal front, though). If you like Mexican, Arturo's across the street from there makes great authentic tacos with solid salsas as well.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Went to high school just up the road at Ignatius, so we'd hit it up regularly if we weren't already blowing our money on Al's Beef or Mario's Italian Lemonade.

I've never had grilled hash browns as good anywhere else as White Palace.

I miss Chicago food so much right now.

I hate Al's beef not the quality of the food but it always seemd very overpriced and not that good.

There was a joint further west down Taylor, the name escapes that had better beef I thought. I also liked the Great American Deli over Fontano's as well although both are really good.

Rosie still makes a great gyros from what I hear for some reason the place looks to creepy to me to actually have good food. Not sure why i think that.

Jansen's has really dropped off. Hickory Hills has two ofthe best rib joints around as well as the joint on 95th and Ridgeland. I am not sure why there are good /great rib places around there but maybe the Patio crowd started it. The Patio is good as well. There is als a great Mexican joint in Blue Island that I is authentic that I will try not to spell.

Fox's stays open late and has good pie. Good place to hit around midnight after a Sox game.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Jansen's has really dropped off. Hickory Hills has two ofthe best rib joints around as well as the joint on 95th and Ridgeland. I am not sure why there are good /great rib places around there but maybe the Patio crowd started it. The Patio is good as well. There is als a great Mexican joint in Blue Island that I is authentic that I will try not to spell.

Not crazy about the Patio.

Park Ribs on Archer just east of Harlem - now those are some ribs!!! Their sauce is the best - I need to stock up on some bottles of their sauce before grillin' season gets underway again!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 06:39 AM)
Glad to have you back home, and sincere thank you for your service to our nation.

Man, we all love these threads when they pop up. I'd probably be 400 pounds if I didn't move away from Chicago 20 years ago.

Many of my recommendations are from way back in the day, so others can jump in if places have gone downhill or disappeared altogether. For good lowbrow eats here are some of my favorites:

Burgers and Shakes: Top Notch on 95th St. in Beverly

Hotdogs: Fat Johnniies, 74th and Western

Crazy fast food joint with good dogs, burgers, banana shakes, cheese fries, fried ketchup tacos, etc.: Janson's Drive-In, 99th and Western.

Seafood, mostly fried with killer breading and hot sauce: Lawrence's Fisheries, 21st and Canal St.

Pizza: Everyone ha their favorites (See the current "Don't Like in Chicago" thread) , but Lou Malnati's seems to be a universal fave here.

My favorite burrito and gyro joints have closed, so someone else can fill in those gaps.

Lindy's Chili at 36th and Archer is worth a pilgrimage if you haven't been.

I'm a Harold's Chicken nut, but it's not everybody's cup of meat. Mmmm gizzards in hot sauce with white soppin' bread. . .

Athena or Greek Islands in Greektown if you've never been.

A must do Sox Fan pilgrimage to Miler's Pub on Wabash if you haven't.

Walking around the city with a big bag of hot caramel and chedder mixed popcorn from Garrett's popcorn on a cold day is something I miss.

That's al I got off the top of my head.

I am with you on Harold's, but my favorite is Mickey's on Clark St just south of the CBOT. Zues and Mr Greek are my spots in Greektown. For a burger, hit up Gold Coast for the Char Double Cheddar Bacon Burger, with melted cheddar cheese instead of that sliced crap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I am with you on Harold's, but my favorite is Mickey's on Clark St just south of the CBOT. Zues and Mr Greek are my spots in Greektown. For a burger, hit up Gold Coast for the Char Double Cheddar Bacon Burger, with melted cheddar cheese instead of that sliced crap.

They are not bad for late night greasy fare but I have to side with Jim on Greek Islands (not as high on Athena's food, although you can't beat outdoors there in the summertime) for traditional Greek food.

On that note, across Halsted, Nine Muses is a great spot for lunch. They make some really good grilled meats and a fantastic iced coffee called a frappe.

I have soured on one place a lot in recent years, but for very authentic and flavorful gyros, nothing could beat Parthenon in its day. I can't go in there anymore, though so I couldn't tell you if they still have the touch. The owner's daughter took it over and ruined just about everything that was great about that place.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
I hate Al's beef not the quality of the food but it always seemd very overpriced and not that good.

There was a joint further west down Taylor, the name escapes that had better beef I thought. I also liked the Great American Deli over Fontano's as well although both are really good.

Rosie still makes a great gyros from what I hear for some reason the place looks to creepy to me to actually have good food. Not sure why i think that.

Fox's stays open late and has good pie. Good place to hit around midnight after a Sox game.

You talking about Carm's beef just off Taylor? Its pretty fantastic.

I have to put Alpine in Forest Park in here for sub sandwiches.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
You talking about Carm's beef just off Taylor? Its pretty fantastic.

I have to put Alpine in Forest Park in here for sub sandwiches.

My bet is he's talking about Vittori's, on Taylor just east of Racine. It was another favorite for me to and every bit as good as Al's. Sadly I think it has closed recently. :crying

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
Sad to hear that about Parthenon — another place I really liked. First place I ever tried retsina. I found it to be quite vile way back then, but now that my palate has grown up I need to give it another spin.

It is too bad. They used to make the best vegetarian stuffed grape leaves that were oh so delicious. Retsina is an acquired taste but I think if you give it another try you might like it.

Giordano's

Also Ian's in Wrigleyville is a good spot for a late night slice.

Harold's Chicken Shack

Standing Room Only in the south loop.

There's this mexican joint right next to the Sheridan red line stop that I have no idea what the name is, but I know it's my favorite place to get tacos & chips & salsa.

My gosh i feel so slow. I ate at this place called Fat Willys Rib Shack which happens to be a block away from my house in avondale (western & elston), and it has quite possibly the best BBQ ive ever had in chicago! I cant believe i never thought to enter this establishment during my time of living in this neighborhood! I like it a little bit more than Smoque, and thats saying something! A must have for any BBQ lover.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
Al's Beef on Taylor

Tufanos on Vernon Park for cash-only italian

Birdsnest on southport for wings

Salernos on grand

Vinnie's on grand for the city's best tuna salad sandwich

Brunch: Wishbone, Palace Grill, Hashbrowns, Lou Mitchells

Best dives to get blacked out and nobody cares: Marquis Lounge, Dugans, Cody's, Underground Wunderbar, Richards, Boss Bar

I'm an Italian food freak so I could list a few: Rosals, La Scarola, Cafe Bionda, Mart Anthony's to name a few.

THE BEST, another GREAT spot is XOCO on Clark and Illinois. Run by Rick Bayless of Fronter and Topo (next door) but nowhere near as expensive - basically Mexican street food and Tortas that are unreal. Don't be afraid to order a soup as they are big enough to be a meal. Oh, and the best churros and guacamole youll ever have

Edited by Chi Town Sox

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
Macku sushi on clybourn, simply SPECTACULAR!!! easily the top sushi place ive been to in Chicago, and ive been to toro, sushi samba, japonaise etc... my gosh, i can really die happy now :headbang :headbang

23756_533856821525_203400190_311645.jpg

UGH... you have great taste in food, then you go ahead and make this post... :lol: I hate seafood. :ph34r: