Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
And is it coming across to anyone else like Romney is basically officiating this debate? Earlier he mentioned that time was up for another candidate even though he wasn't even mentioned, and just now he said it's OK for Santorum to take longer than 30 seconds.

Looking Presidential

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
It's so disheartening to see Americans just embrace warmongering so openly after what we should have learned from Iraq. It honestly embarrasses me.

To expect the general populace to have a coherent, thoughtful point of view on issues in this country is pointless. Just sit back and wait for the next person to make no difference take over.

Governor Perry's statements last night provoked an official statement from the Turkish Ambassador.

Namik Tan, Turkey's Ambassador to the United States, issued this statement in response to comments about Turkey during the January 16 Republican presidential candidates' debate in South Carolina:

"I am disappointed and concerned that Turkey and its time-tested ties of alliance, partnership and friendship with the United States became the object of misplaced and ill-advised criticism during last night's Republican candidates' debate. Needless to say, the Turkey described in the debate simply does not exist.

"Turkey is a secular democracy that has for decades been an essential and trusted partner of the U.S. Our bilateral relations are based on the common values of democracy and respect for human rights, rule of law, and free market economy. Whether in the fight against terrorism or violent extremism, in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria or against the proliferation of WMD, we stand side by side to tackle the many common threats and challenges of our times. Through NATO and bilaterally, Turkey and the U.S. will continue to cooperate day in day out to establish peace, security and prosperity around the world. Contrary to statements during the debate, Turkey receives no significant sums of foreign aid dollars from the U.S. Indeed, Turkey is a strong and growing trading partner with the U.S. in general, and with Texas in particular creating thousands of jobs throughout that state.

"Turkey is obviously not the same country that Governor Perry visited in the 1970s. As an accession country to the European Union and a founding member of the Council of Europe, Turkey has been continuously reviewing and enhancing the rights of all its citizens irrespective of their ethnic or religious background. Moreover, Turkey is now the 16th largest economy in the world, and the 6th biggest economy in Europe enjoying one of the most robust growth rates in its region and beyond. Its democratic standards, its economic strength, and its secular nature make Turkey an inspiration at a time when the Middle East and North Africa are undergoing a major transformation.

"While it was unfortunate, we do hope this episode in last night's debate leads to a better informed foreign policy discussion among the Republican Party candidates, one where long-standing allies are treated with respect not disdain."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Governor Perry's statements last night provoked an official statement from the Turkish Ambassador.

Fortunately, Perry has zero chance. It has become plainly obvious to even the most evangelical and ultra-conservative types that the guy just isn't cut out for the job.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Quasi-GOP pollster Rasmussen has a national poll out today showing a big move for the Gingrich, jumping 11 points from 2 weeks ago. Mittens 30%, Gingrich 27%. That isn't a Carolina poll and Ras doesn't have the greatest reputation, but it is the first poll showing any sort of non-Mittmentum since Iowa.

Is Rasmussen's GOP-only polling suspect?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Is Rasmussen's GOP-only polling suspect?

I sorta take everything from them with a grain of salt, they haven't had the most accurate record in the last few years and they also clearly try to set narratives by flooding the market with polls, but an 11 point swing over 2 weeks is something that ought to start screaming out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
Perry, Bachmann, Cain and Santorum? Yes, ridiculous nuts.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
I'd like to add that, once you rightfully add Gingrich into that list, the Republican base seems insistent on nominating one of these nuts.

further justification:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
Newt: Palin Will 'Play A Major Role' In My Administration

via

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
further justification:

hmph.

He's getting there now, he's rocketing for the far right as fast as he can. Sort of bizarre to watch. Because honestly, I don't think he's the believer he is trying to act like, I think he is much more pragmatic.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
hmph.

He's getting there now, he's rocketing for the far right as fast as he can. Sort of bizarre to watch. Because honestly, I don't think he's the believer he is trying to act like, I think he is much more pragmatic.

He's had a wide range of crazy insane nonsense from the start. What has led you to believe that Gingrich is pragmatic?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
Fortunately, Perry has zero chance. It has become plainly obvious to even the most evangelical and ultra-conservative types that the guy just isn't cut out for the job.

He was trying to be something he was not. I wish he would have been himself, much more to the center and less, less, well less everything.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
He was trying to be something he was not. I wish he would have been himself, much more to the center and less, less, well less everything.

You realize the first thing that he really started to get hammered on was him actually defending one of the only centrist positions he's taken, on allowing children of illegal immigrants into schools?

Adam Serwer takes on the race-baiting comments featured in Gingrich's new ad (seen above and highlighted in today's Ad War Update):

The ad i
s
betting that Republican
s
are longing to
s
ee Gingrich lecture the fir
s
t blac
k
pre
s
ident on how there'
s
nothing raci
s
t about
s
ugge
s
ting blac
k
people would rather be on public a
s
s
i
s
tance than wor
k
for a living. It indulge
s
two long
s
tanding Republican fanta
s
ie
s
: That Obama i
s
an intellectual lightweight dependent on hi
s
teleprompter who would be ea
s
ily di
s
patched by a
k
nowledgeable con
s
ervative opponent, and that raci
s
m on the right i
s
entirely an invention of liberal
s
, who are the real raci
s
t
s

Fallows, meanwhile, is debating with readers about how to interpret Gingrich's goals. Jim's view:

Newt Gingrich
k
now
s
exactly what he i
s
doing when he call
s
Obama the "food
s
tamp" pre
s
ident, ju
s
t a
s
Ronald Reagan
k
new exactly what he wa
s
doing when tal
k
ing about "welfare Cadillac
s
."

There are lot
s
of other way
s
to ma
k
e the point about economic hard time
s
-- entirely apart from which per
s
on and which policie
s
are to blame for today'
s
mammoth joble
s
s
ne
s
s
, and apart from the fact that Congre
s
s
s
et
s
food
s
tamp policie
s
. You could call him the "pin
k
s
lip pre
s
ident," the "foreclo
s
ure pre
s
ident," the "Walmart pre
s
ident," the "Wall
S
treet pre
s
ident," the "Citiban
k
pre
s
ident," the "bailout pre
s
ident," or any of a dozen other image
s
that convey di
s
tre
s
s
. You decide to go with "the food
s
tamp pre
s
ident," and you're doing it on purpo
s
e.

via

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
You realize the first thing that he really started to get hammered on was him actually defending one of the only centrist positions he's taken, on allowing children of illegal immigrants into schools?

Yes, but those were not the blunders and the weird image he was projecting.