Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Bob Dole trending on Twitter, he says a Gingrich nomination would be a landslide for Obama, and that Newt cost him in '96.

Dole would know something about landslides though

The conservative base believes that nominating moderate Republicans like Dole and McCain are what cost them the elections in 96 and 08. They seem much more willing to "go down fighting" with someone like Newt or Perry than losing with another moderate Republican.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Remember when I told you he was crazy?

Its all relative. That is politically crazy, but not Palin/Perry/Cain/Bachmann certifiable. Its stupid and make him look like he isn't a "real conservative", but not so much crazy. More in the way of dumb.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
So... Newt wants to massively cut programs like infrastructure, energy and medicine... but he wants a base on the moon by 2020? WTF?

If he was actually going to put the money behind it he'd have my vote.

I'm serious. That kind of money would guarantee me a career. I'd vote for that out of selfishness.

Sadly, last guy from that party said the same thing, and put zero funds behind it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Bob Dole trending on Twitter, he says a Gingrich nomination would be a landslide for Obama, and that Newt cost him in '96.

Dole would know something about landslides though

This is the early phase of the establishment Republicans lining up against Newt. I'm traveling, but apparently there's been a lot of it today.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
So... Newt wants to massively cut programs like infrastructure, energy and medicine... but he wants a base on the moon by 2020? WTF?

but the moon base will have solar panels, so you can support it.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
but the moon base will have solar panels, so you can support it.

Actually, that'd be a pretty terrible way to power a moon base, since it would only have sunlight 50% of the time. And go 14 days without.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
Everything must be made into black and white, polar arguments in the current political environment. Not sure if you noticed. Next we will hear about radical moderation.

Well Newt recently reiterated the growing threat from the radical islamofascist secularists, lending more credibility to my hypothesis!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Well Newt recently reiterated the growing threat from the radical islamofascist secularists, lending more credibility to my hypothesis!

that's like 2 or 3 oxymorons in one.

More coming out that Ron Paul absolutely knew what was in those racist newsletters.

A person involved in Paul’s businesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid criticizing a former employer, said Paul and his associates decided in the late 1980s to try to increase sales by making the newsletters more provocative. They discussed adding controversial material, including racial statements, to help the business, the person said.

“It was playing on a growing racial tension, economic tension, fear of government,’’ said the person, who supports Paul’s economic policies but is not backing him for president. “I’m not saying Ron believed this stuff. It was good copy. Ron Paul is a shrewd businessman.’’

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
:lolhitting

Ron Paul, well known as a physician, congressman and libertarian , has also been a businessman who pursued a marketing strategy that included publishing provocative, racially charged newsletters to make money and spread his ideas, according to three people with direct knowledge of Paul’s businesses.

“It was his newsletter, and it was under his name, so he always got to see the final product. . . . He would proof it,’’ said Renae Hathway, a former secretary in Paul’s company and a supporter of the Texas congressman.