Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Go for it. I don't know why you feel a thread about the Republican nomination should be a safe haven.

lol @ safe haven. I made a negative comment about Obama in a thread about the Republican nomination and people flipped out. Think about that for a second.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
Either that or start a Democratic nomination thread and post every slam I can find about Obama.

Well there is no nomination, really, because it isn't contested. But if you want to just bash Obama... well, first of all, most of the GOP'ers in here do that in every thread anyway. But you also have the Republican thread for such things. If you want to create a brand new one that is something like "Obama Campaign for Re-election Thread", feel free!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
lol @ safe haven. I made a negative comment about Obama in a thread about the Republican nomination and people flipped out. Think about that for a second.

Well I would agree with you about it not being a "safe haven".

But seriously, the Republican NOMINATION thread, for the Presidency, isn't and shouldn't be considered some sort of safe zone in any case. And if you want that Dem Nomination thread we just discussed, same goes there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)

If by "people" you mean "balta" and "flipped out" you mean "contested the factual basis of your claims," then ok.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Well there is no nomination, really, because it isn't contested. But if you want to just bash Obama... well, first of all, most of the GOP'ers in here do that in every thread anyway. But you also have the Republican thread for such things. If you want to create a brand new one that is something like "Obama Campaign for Re-election Thread", feel free!

I'm going to do that, and I'm going to fill it with articles critical of Obama.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)

I'll just make sure not do it in the Republican nomination thread or anything because then it will hit the fan!

This thread is to discuss the campaign and nomination of the GOP candidate for President. It is NOT a GOP-only zone.

Now, if you want to, we can start being strict in the Dem and GOP pinned threads about content. But here is the problem... what about me? Or anyone else that isn't clearly one or the other?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
I'm going to do that, and I'm going to fill it with articles critical of Obama.

That actually makes sense, as I know you aren't that happy with him either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
I'll just make sure not do it in the Republican nomination thread or anything because then it will hit the fan!

I don't understand this post.

Are you saying you expect to be able to post stuff and not have discussion come from it? Sort of defeats the purpose of the forum, no?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
That actually makes sense, as I know you aren't that happy with him either.

I don't understand this post.

Are you saying you expect to be able to post stuff and not have discussion come from it? Sort of defeats the purpose of the forum, no?

If this thread were really about some honest discussion, I'd be fine with it. This thread has never been about an honest exchange of information, which as I have constantly said, defeats the purpose of this forum just as much, if not more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
If this thread were really about some honest discussion, I'd be fine with it. This thread has never been about an honest exchange of information, which as I have constantly said, defeats the purpose of this forum just as much, if not more.

Then do something about it, instead of playing the victim card.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Of course they would. Don't you remember Obama vs. Hillary? That was a bloodbath! However, that didn't hurt as much because the race was open... the Republicans were destroying each other, too. By the time the general election came around, both sides had already made excuses or figured out the lesser of two evils, then it was just Obama's massive social media/younger voter push that made it a no-brainer. Plus, it was change I actually made the mistake of believing in, not realizing that politics are at such a f***ing standstill in this country that hardly anything can get done no matter who is in charge.

But yes, with an incumbent, it really makes what the Republicans are doing this year, and to the extent they are doing, about as short-sighted as I've ever seen in politics.

All of this, Steve :notworthy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)

At this point it has come down to two candidate, both GOP standouts. Why don't we show the same level of honest discussion that the candidates are having?

Seriously, I believe this forum is at least better than what the actual candidates are flinging. So if this forum merely discussed the crap that they are slinging, how will it ever be much better?

There's pretty logical reasons why campaigns are always negative. I tried to explain this before but it works better in a graph.

So you have 2 candidates. Candidate A has true facts about him that are positive and true facts that are negative. Candidate B does too.

Candidate A is going to say positive things about himself that are true, but in most cases he's not going to say anything negative. He's going to say negative things about Candidate B, who is doing the same thing, to undermine the positive things Candidate B is saying about himself. Candidate B is doing a mirror of everything Candidate A is doing. No matter how long they try to stay away from negatives they always end up defaulting to it, and when one does it the other has to follow or he'll lose.

This starts to get REALLY messy when you have False Positive and False Negative factored in.

So how to have a positive conversation about the negative facts that the candidates are bringing up? I tried three things with my favorite candidate, to bring up his positives, try to explain the negatives, and ah, ah, I can't remember the third (is lasting legacy).

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
CNN.com posted "breaking news" earlier this am that Trump was to endorse Romney, while the WSJ was tweeting that he'd endorse Newt. The CNN blurb now looks to be down.

I'm sure Trump is loving that.

It amazes me that anyone gives a s*** what that jackass thinks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
I'm sure Trump is loving that.

It amazes me that anyone gives a s*** what that jackass thinks.

I do have to give Trump credit for one thing, he has worked the American system better than anyone. From real estate to entertainment. Divorce, bankruptcy, and still living the dream.