Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
I've been saying for a while now, to the disagreement of almost everyone here, that the general election boils down to this... the GOP doesn't need to worry about their base, because their base is far more focused on getting Obama out, than on who they vote in. All they have to focus on in the general is getting some support among swing/moderate voters. Obama's camp, on the other hand, while also needing to get this middle of the road voters, has a second and larger problem - the base is unhappy and may not show up.

You want proof? CNN's latest poll has the proof right there. Consider these numbers... Only 30% of GOP respondents have settled on a candidate. But 65% of them are very enthusiastic about supporting their candidate. What does that tell you? Furthermore, only about 35% of Dem voters are energized for the upcoming election.

Everyone likes to talk about the GOP base coming out. To me, that is a complete non-issue for this cycle. The keys are two: moderate voters (which way they go), and the Dem base. That is the election right there.

Isn't it sad that people get so upset with "the other guy" that they just ignore the credentials of the people they'll be voting for? This two party system we have needs to be destroyed.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
I agree. I frankly don't see how Obama gets reelected.

It's a tough push, but at the same time - in my mind the GOP path to electability starts and ends at Mittens.

I do think Obama has a shot, but he has to hold onto some states that would be pretty tenuous for him this time around (PA, NC, NH, FL)

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
It's a tough push, but at the same time - in my mind the GOP path to electability starts and ends at Mittens.

I do think Obama has a shot, but he has to hold onto some states that would be pretty tenuous for him this time around (PA, NC, NH, FL)

I think he has basically zero chance at NC this time around. If he gets NC, then he is winning very big. I also think he almost assuredly wins NH.

The states to watch, IMO, are of course the big swing three (OH, FL, PA), and also NV, OR, CO, NM, WI, MO, VA. Those are the ones truly up in the air right now.

Forgot to record this one, damn. Read through the live blog of it. Seems like Cain is living outside of reality, doesn't understand how people think his tax plan will raise taxes on anyone. Says it is a simple plan, then says no on understands it. Figured this would happen, he is drowning it appears.

Also sounded like Michelle Bachmann doubled down on the crazy. Instead of just a border fence, she wants a DOUBLE walled border fence, LOL. And apparently spent a lot of time screaming to get attention, literally screaming. She is so toast.

Some praise for Gingrich though, and Romney and Santorum. Perry sounds like he's treading water.

That sound about right, mr g?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
Forgot to record this one, damn. Read through the live blog of it. Seems like Cain is living outside of reality, doesn't understand how people think his tax plan will raise taxes on anyone. Says it is a simple plan, then says no on understands it. Figured this would happen, he is drowning it appears.

Also sounded like Michelle Bachmann doubled down on the crazy. Instead of just a border fence, she wants a DOUBLE walled border fence, LOL. And apparently spent a lot of time screaming to get attention, literally screaming. She is so toast.

Some praise for Gingrich though, and Romney and Santorum. Perry sounds like he's treading water.

That sound about right, mr g?

Romney did ok, the usual Mitt Romney debate.

Perry spent most of the time flailing away at Romney and looked like an idiot. Got booed a lot.

Cain did ok, I don't see any big drop coming from him. People either hate his tax plan or think it's a step in the right direction of simplifying the tax code. It will increase taxes on some people, and he has kind of admitted that but dances around the answer. His supporters are already sold on the tax plan, so they aren't leaving over that.

Ron Paul was there. Did his usual bit. Said to bring all the troops home and stop wasting money, everyone cheered.

Gingrich was irrelevant. I almost forgot he was there.

I was doing some work during the debate, and every time Bachmann gave an answer I didn't really pay attention. I have no idea what she said about anything. Same with Santorum.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 06:47 AM)
Did Bachmann call Africa a country?

From what I read, it was more that she didn't seem to know Libya was in Africa. She said something like, Obama took us into Libya, now he wants to take us into Africa.

As Balta said, with Bachmann, that is pretty far down the list of scary for her.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
From what I read, it was more that she didn't seem to know Libya was in Africa. She said something like, Obama took us into Libya, now he wants to take us into Africa.

As Balta said, with Bachmann, that is pretty far down the list of scary for her.

If that's the case, that means she just didn't know which country the LRA is located in. I'll admit, I'd have to check myself.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 06:05 AM)
"some people"=pretty much everyone but the very wealthy

i would come out ahead big time under 999. but i don't have a bunch of kids and I am super rich. that low 9% income tax would way more than make up for the 9% sales tax.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
i would come out ahead big time under 999. but i don't have a bunch of kids and I am super rich. that low 9% income tax would way more than make up for the 9% sales tax.

I'd be shopping a bit more in Mexico for big ticket items.

Sounds like Perry is going to go with a flat tax pitch, not sure how thatll fly with the masses. Even Adam Smith in Wealth of Nations proposed a progressive tax as necessary.

Book V, Chapter II, Part II (Of Taxes) V.2.24- V.2.25 http://www.econlib.org/library/Smith/smWN21.html#V.2.25

V.2.24

"Before I enter upon the examination of particular taxes, it is necessary to premise the four following maxims with regard to taxes in general.

V.2.25

I. The subjects of every state ought to contribute towards the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities; that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state. The expence of government to the individuals of a great nation is like the expence of management to the joint tenants of a great estate, who are all obliged to contribute in proportion to their respective interests in the estate. In the observation or neglect of this maxim consists what is called the equality or inequality of taxation. Every tax, it must be observed once for all, which falls finally upon one only of the three sorts of revenue above mentioned, is necessarily unequal in so far as it does not affect the other two. In the following examination of different taxes I shall seldom take much further notice of this sort of inequality, but shall, in most cases, confine my observations to that inequality which is occasioned by a particular tax falling unequally even upon that particular sort of private revenue which is affected by it.

I just cant believe how hard these candidates are trying to alienate average people.