Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
I would love to see him and Obama in a debate. Romney might match him, but I think Newt would make Obama look like an amateur.

I think either Romney or Newt can beat Obama in a debate and the ballot box.

Edited by mr_genius

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Newt's problem in a debate against anyone, where he's 1 on 1, is coming off as way too condescending. You can hear it in plenty of the clips from these debates, and in a 90 minute debate, each of them only gets like 10 minutes to talk. In 45-50 minutes, telling the viewers that "The elites won't tell you this" only works so many times.

that is a key for Newt Gingrich, he needs to avoid the times when he acts like a jackass. When he shows some restraint he is a very good debater.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
that is a key for Newt Gingrich, he needs to avoid the times when he acts like a jackass. When he shows some restraint he is a very good debater.

Newt has no shot in a general election. He's a lazy campaigner. And too much of an asshole. He'd be great at rallying his base, but independents would swing Dem in this kind of matchup.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Newt has no shot in a general election. He's a lazy campaigner. And too much of an asshole. He'd be great at rallying his base, but independents would swing Dem in this kind of matchup.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think Obama has much of a chance.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I'm not so sure about that. I don't think Obama has much of a chance.

Gallup has him rebounding 8 points this month in matchup with Generic Republican, which is where he's done the worst over the last few months. PPP has a poll out this week showing him comfortably ahead in Ohio this week. I think the momentum has changed in Obama's favor at the moment, and the GOP Presidential field is so weak this time around that Obama has a good shot at winning reelection. With the exception of Romney, there isn't a single person in the GOP field that can win with women or swing places like Ohio, Wisconsin and Minnesota into the Red column.

There are a lot of challenges for Obama to win reelection, but he's in a better spot than he's been in all year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Newt's problem in a debate against anyone, where he's 1 on 1, is coming off as way too condescending. You can hear it in plenty of the clips from these debates, and in a 90 minute debate, each of them only gets like 10 minutes to talk. In 45-50 minutes, telling the viewers that "The elites won't tell you this" only works so many times.

wait, Obama doesn't come off as condescending? lol.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 08:10 AM)
wait, Obama doesn't come off as condescending? lol.

It is interesting how ideology shades how we hear and react to things. I reacted like Balta, I don't see Obama even close to Newt on that scale. I also believe Newt is more of an intellectual than Obama. So far he's my #2 in the GOP field.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
You aren't watching the same Obama that I am apparently.

We aren't, we're watching someone we agree with much of the time and you are watching someone you disagree with most of the time.

I've been gone a bit, two quick things...

1. When I earlier ranted about the vitriol aimed at the supposed victims of Cain, to be clear, I was NOT saying that their backgrounds are not fair game. They are. What was appalling to me was the ASSUMPTIONS being made, that they were clearly jus going for money. That made me ill. I don't assume Cain's guilt, nor do I assume the victims are perpetrating some massive unfounded conspiracy. If you are one of the people who immediately fell into one of those camps early on, then you are not dealing in logic or reality.

2. Newt Gingrich's arrogance trumps not only Obama, but everyone in that GOP field, and that is something... but, I would suggest that if Gingrich wins the nomination, he'd have a better shot at beating Obama than Mittens would.

Gingrich has a unique pairing of build that no other GOP candidate has... he is seen as a true conservative AND has shown he can work both sides of the aisle at the national level to get things done. No other GOP candidate can pull that kind of support from both the right wing and the moderates/independents.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
I've been gone a bit, two quick things...

1. When I earlier ranted about the vitriol aimed at the supposed victims of Cain, to be clear, I was NOT saying that their backgrounds are not fair game. They are. What was appalling to me was the ASSUMPTIONS being made, that they were clearly jus going for money. That made me ill. I don't assume Cain's guilt, nor do I assume the victims are perpetrating some massive unfounded conspiracy. If you are one of the people who immediately fell into one of those camps early on, then you are not dealing in logic or reality.

2. Newt Gingrich's arrogance trumps not only Obama, but everyone in that GOP field, and that is something... but, I would suggest that if Gingrich wins the nomination, he'd have a better shot at beating Obama than Mittens would.

Gingrich has a unique pairing of build that no other GOP candidate has... he is seen as a true conservative AND has shown he can work both sides of the aisle at the national level to get things done. No other GOP candidate can pull that kind of support from both the right wing and the moderates/independents.

Please. It's entirely logical given the context. Maybe not all of the accusers, but certainly the one who wanted to become the face of it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Please. It's entirely logical given the context. Maybe not all of the accusers, but certainly the one who wanted to become the face of it.

It is entirely logical for you to be sure that someone accusing Cain of sexual harassment muxt be making it up... even though you have zero way of knowing whether or not its true? Seriously? That is the definition of an illogical, emotion/partisan driven judgment with no support in fact.

Now, if you are saying you are sketpical of the claim, or that her background is fair game as part of the discussion, or that you suspect some or all may be lying... that I can understand.

Saying you know for sure? Absurdity.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)

I do have to say, that the immediate response from the Cain campaign has been extremely disrespectful towards these women - and his behavior in reaction to the allegations does a lot to back up the claims that have come out IMO. His pattern of behavior means one of two things.

1. He's guilty of the claims expressed and avoiding admitting it.

2. He's such an incompetent of a candidate that he is unable to keep his story straight for more than a few hours, or able to see how his behavior and language after the allegations reflects on the allegations themselves.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
It is entirely logical for you to be sure that someone accusing Cain of sexual harassment muxt be making it up... even though you have zero way of knowing whether or not its true? Seriously? That is the definition of an illogical, emotion/partisan driven judgment with no support in fact.

Now, if you are saying you are sketpical of the claim, or that her background is fair game as part of the discussion, or that you suspect some or all may be lying... that I can understand.

Saying you know for sure? Absurdity.

This has nothing to do with my political beliefs. I think Cain is a moron and would never vote for him. I have no dog in this fight.

And have I ever said that I was 100 certain? I'm pretty sure i've said it's my belief that she's making a bulls*** claim here and she's doing it for an ulterior motive. I don't see how given the context of this whole thing that's so unreasonable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
2 national polls are out today showing the predicted Gingrich surge, coupled with a little bit of fading by Herman Cain. CNN has it Mittens 24-Newt22, PPP has Newt in the lead and Mittens back at 3rd (although that poll has shown him lower than some of the other national polls).

Well I guess it is Newt's turn. But I do think he has a better shot at some staying power than Bachmann, Perry or Cain had/have.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Well I guess it is Newt's turn. But I do think he has a better shot at some staying power than Bachmann, Perry or Cain had/have.

Here come the quotes about Newt's support of the DREAM act, a national health insurance mandate and cap and trade by the way.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
Here come the quotes about Newt's support of the DREAM act, a national health insurance mandate and cap and trade by the way.

And why don't they bring this up for Mittens? (let's see if you indeed do get it).

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
And why don't they bring this up for Mittens? (let's see if you indeed do get it).

It's true, no one ever mentions that Romney is a political weasel who oversaw a state-level template for ACA and who agreed AGW is a real problem that needs action at one point but now strongly opposes both because that's what will win him votes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
It's true, no one ever mentions that Romney is a political weasel who oversaw a state-level template for ACA and who agreed AGW is a real problem that needs action at one point but now strongly opposes both because that's what will win him votes.

Hmmmm. Well, isn't that shameful?