Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Actually, like the NBA lockout, neither party has the American people behind them. The fans / people are 90% of the mind they are both being stupid.

I bet if you polled people and asked would you want drastic spending cuts or a mix of tax/fee increases and smaller cuts, the vast majority would go with option 1. Might not like how the owners/republicans are going about it, but the end result is what they agree with.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
I bet if you polled people and asked would you want drastic spending cuts or a mix of tax/fee increases and smaller cuts, the vast majority would go with option 1. Might not like how the owners/republicans are going about it, but the end result is what they agree with.

Those polls have been done repeatedly over the past year(s) and the results have been heavily in favor of a mixed approach. Even among Republicans there's decent support for a mixed approach.

This is from the summer but a good indication:

http://www.capitalgainsandgames.com/blog/b...er-taxes-really

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
Those polls have been done repeatedly over the past year(s) and the results have been heavily in favor of a mixed approach. Even among Republicans there's decent support for a mixed approach.

This is from the summer but a good indication:

http://www.capitalgainsandgames.com/blog/b...er-taxes-really

I've seen multiple of these polls, people heavily favor a mix, which of course is the only thing that makes sense if you really want to dent the deficit.

Watched most of the debate. It was actually one of the stronger debates overall, there were even a few very good policy exchanges between some folks. This one is worth watching.

Basically, as far as I can see, this crew of 8 falls into two distinct camps.

Camp 1 is basically the island of misfit morons. It is also mostly made up of former flavors of the month in the race, who shot up the polls because they were loud and discordant, then people realized they were terrible, and they crashed back down. Those four basically did what they always do: Perry continues to bumble his way through debates looking clearly overmatched... Cain continues to not actually answer any questions asked of him unless it deals with tax policy... Bachmann continues to show her dual personality, being diplomatic at times, then without changing facial expression suddenly stammering out hate and anger... and then there's Santorum, who is basically MacCarthy (except replace communists with A-Rabs). Seriously, that whole crowd is embarrassing.

Camp 2 are the people with brains. Romney as usual looked Presidential, but his policy points keep fluctuating. Gingrich looking very strong again, 90% of his words were policy wonk stuff and made him look highly intelligent. Huntsman with his best performance to date, actually had a pretty big slam on Romney about CinC authority. And then Ron Paul was his usual stuff, occasionally veering into tinfoil hat territory, but mostly sticking to his guns on libertarianism. The four of them had some great exchanges, particularly the early one between Paul and Gingrich, where I thought they both made some great points.

Again, if you recorded it, I'd watch this one, it wasn't nearly as bumbling as some of the earlier ones have been.

My grades for the debate:

Gingrich A-

Huntsman A-

Romney B

Paul B-

Bachmann C-

Santorum C-

Perry D+

Cain D

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
I've never understood why you depose him so much.

He's trying to troll me, I think. also, pretty sure you meant despise, not depose. Or not?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
Huntsman said something about wanting more drone strikes and decreasing troop presence. So, basically the exact same policy of the Obama Administration for the last 3 years? Okay I guess.

Pretty much, yes. I fail to see why that's bad, but I am sure in the Heritage Foundation crowd that was unpopular.

Bachmann may have leaked classified information last night, or if may have just been more crazy rants. But she does sit on an intelligence committee I believe so...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/23/bach...ing-gop-debate/

“We have to recognize that 15 of the sites, nuclear sites, are available or are potentially penetrable by jihadist,” Bachmann explained. “Six attempts have already been made on nuclear sites. This is more than an existential threat.”

“At this point, I would continue that aid,” she added. “Pakistan is a nation that it’s kind of like, too nuclear to fail.”

A National Journal fact check found that the U.S. had never publicly admitted that 15 of Pakistan’s sites were vulnerable to attack, or that six of them had already been attacked.

Oops.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
Bachmann may have leaked classified information last night, or if may have just been more crazy rants. But she does sit on an intelligence committee I believe so...

Oops.

And yet totally not surprising. Terror is still brewing around us, even if no one is telling us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
And yet totally not surprising. Terror is still brewing around us, even if no one is telling us.

It's not surprising that they'd be trying to gain access, but Bachmann still may have leaked classified information.

On the other hand, as the article notes, she also claimed that Hezbollah is trying to build missiles in Cuba, so maybe we should take her claims with the usual grain of salt.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
It's not surprising that they'd be trying to gain access, but Bachmann still may have leaked classified information.

On the other hand, as the article notes, she also claimed that Hezbollah is trying to build missiles in Cuba, so maybe we should take her claims with the usual grain of salt.

Honestly she should be charged if she did. That doesn't bother me at all.

Then again she could have just leaked the documents anonymously and everyone would care.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)

Oops.

Yeah I saw her do that. She managed to leak potentially confidential information, and in the same sentence, say something fully nonsensical (what does "penetrable by jihadists" even mean? Wouldn't that be true of all of them? It is a completely subjective assessment). She probably saw some documents about the sites, the researchers pointed out 15 sites with higher vulnerability, and she turned it into what she wanted it to be.

She also said the CIA can no longer interrogate people (LOL), the ACLU is handling CIA operations (LOLOLOL), the US money going to Pakistan was a blank check (no, a substantial part goes directly to helping keep those nukes secure, which is how you even know about those 15 sites), Hezbollah is putting missles in Venezuela, Obama's every action has been to prevent energy independence (no, he has moved against your particular choice of path that direction - remember Solyndra?), and a number of other outright lies. And that was in just one debate. She is seriously a lying machine, even compared to the other candidates.

She really is a Class A moron.

it will be interesting to see the polls after last nights debate. one major thing that came up:

1) Newt Gingrich said he supported some type of amnesty program

2) Romney took a hard line against any type of amnesty

also, Ron Paul did pretty well. he could win Iowa.