Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
1) How exactly does society benefit from two people being married instead of single?

2) With the divorce rate what it is, if there really is a societal benefit to being married, the tax breaks don't seem to be enough of an incentive.

Married workers tend to take less sick days, invest more, own homes, have higher incomes, are more involved in their communities, commit less crimes, to name just a few.

Agreed

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
The theory that I have read is along this line: gays are saying, if we can't marry, then no one can marry. Eliminate the institute of marriage.

Just trying to add some clarity.

There is a segment of the gay population that does in fact support this concept. I may or may not be one of them.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
There is a segment of the gay population that does in fact support this concept. I may or may not be one of them.

There is a segment of the straight population that does in fact support this concept. I may or may not be one of them.

I tend to prefer it to what we have today in most states.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
I support equality. Either all consenting adults should be allowed to marry, or no consenting adults should be allowed to marry. I think I'm ok with both options.

If you would agree that people could participate in a non government sanctioned marriage ceremony or similar event to mark their union, I'll join you.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 04:21 AM)
If you would agree that people could participate in a non government sanctioned marriage ceremony or similar event to mark their union, I'll join you.

I don't see what would stop them. A wedding is just a particular kind of social gathering/party.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Really though, how often will a President have to debate? I'm wondering if it is that good of a tool to use in evaluating candidates.

What in the nominating process is a good tool to evaluate candidates? Does a candidate who visits every county in Iowa have an advantage in deciding whether to launch a risky military venture to kill public enemy number 1? Does the guy who raises the most money have an advantage on handling the economy, or is he or she just more likely to sell out in order to raise funds for the next campaign?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
What in the nominating process is a good tool to evaluate candidates?

What indeed? I'll toss this out there.

The candidates vision for America the world and the likelihood they have the tools to get somewhere down that road. No candidate will accomplish all they want to as President. If they can get three or four middle level policies going, that's a pretty good term. So look at what the campaign puts out, decide if you share that vision.

I'm just tossing that out as a start. My idea was to focus not on any one candidate. I understand there are some holes in the idea.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
What indeed? I'll toss this out there.

The candidates vision for America the world and the likelihood they have the tools to get somewhere down that road. No candidate will accomplish all they want to as President. If they can get three or four middle level policies going, that's a pretty good term. So look at what the campaign puts out, decide if you share that vision.

I'm just tossing that out as a start. My idea was to focus not on any one candidate. I understand there are some holes in the idea.

The wierd thing is, that doesn't necessarily tell you anything.

Give you an example. The Obama campaign came down hard on the fact that Hillary Clinton's health care plan concept included an individual mandate. That was probably the biggest difference between their 2 campaign concepts. Once in office, we saw how that worked out.