Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see states come up with a national plan for Presidential races instead of the state by state method. I understand it will cause some small states to receive even less attention from campaigns, but this always seems too random.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
I would like to see states come up with a national plan for Presidential races instead of the state by state method. I understand it will cause some small states to receive even less attention from campaigns, but this always seems too random.

We don't actually have a national election. We have 50 state elections.

Right, and if those 50 states could agree on the same requirements, I believe it would be a nice step forward. We know who the main candidates are for the two major parties well in advance. Wouldn't it be nice if the top six or eight are on every ballot? What would it hurt? It seems like it hurts that, for example, in Virginia they will not have the same choices as someone in the next state over.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
Right, and if those 50 states could agree on the same requirements, I believe it would be a nice step forward. We know who the main candidates are for the two major parties well in advance. Wouldn't it be nice if the top six or eight are on every ballot? What would it hurt? It seems like it hurts that, for example, in Virginia they will not have the same choices as someone in the next state over.

I think you could also make the same argument in reverse. That the people in Virginia may be better served by Presidential candidates who actually take the time and effort to reach out to 10,000 registered voters in a state of several million. In a state wide election in a state that size, .10000 signatures requires mostly a campaign presence and some organization. If you can't cobble together a petition signing campaign over several months, why should you deserve the ballot access you seek?

I agree for the parties knowing which candidates have a campaign presence is a good thing, I don't believe it is as valuable to the voters. In a prequel to a national election, isn't it valuable to know how every candidate performs in every state? In the general election everyone will have the same choice, shouldn't that also hold true in the primary?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 25, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
I think you could also make the same argument in reverse. That the people in Virginia may be better served by Presidential candidates who actually take the time and effort to reach out to 10,000 registered voters in a state of several million. In a state wide election in a state that size, .10000 signatures requires mostly a campaign presence and some organization. If you can't cobble together a petition signing campaign over several months, why should you deserve the ballot access you seek?

That almost looks like a states rights argument.

SS I am certainly conflicted here, but shouldn't voters in every state have the option to vote for any of that party's candidates? Why should one state be given the choice of nine candidates and another state only two? I see Rex's point that a candidate should show some organization in a state, but if someone can win a stae without much organization,doesn't that say a lot about that candidate?

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 27, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
SS I am certainly conflicted here, but shouldn't voters in every state have the option to vote for any of that party's candidates? Why should one state be given the choice of nine candidates and another state only two? I see Rex's point that a candidate should show some organization in a state, but if someone can win a stae without much organization,doesn't that say a lot about that candidate?

the point is that it's the states decision how they want to make the rules, and all y'all federalists should be happy that it works that way!

listen, if Newt and Perry's organizations were SO BADLY run that they didn't realize they needed more signatures to get on the ballot that's just too bad for them. The other candidates knew. This is a safeguard against badly run campaigns - which is the hallmark of a candidate that doesn't deserve to be in office.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
the point is that it's the states decision how they want to make the rules, and all y'all federalists should be happy that it works that way!

listen, if Newt and Perry's organizations were SO BADLY run that they didn't realize they needed more signatures to get on the ballot that's just too bad for them. The other candidates knew. This is a safeguard against badly run campaigns - which is the hallmark of a candidate that doesn't deserve to be in office.

Unless elected officials forge signatures to get them on the ballot in a state anyway...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
Unless elected officials forge signatures to get them on the ballot in a state anyway...

obviously most of the GOP campaigns weren't even organized enough to do THAT. That's saying something.