Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

Christians for a Moral America endorsed Rick Santorum because he's committed to "protecting life."

Last month, they were taking a break from endorsing Christianist candidates to urge their supporters to pray for the death of singer George Michael who had pneumonia at the time.

http://global.christianpost.com/news/radic...l-to-die-63489/

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Christians for a Moral America endorsed Rick Santorum because he's committed to "protecting life."

Last month, they were taking a break from endorsing Christianist candidates to urge their supporters to pray for the death of singer George Michael who had pneumonia at the time.

How many people do you think that group represents?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)

haha

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Huntsman gets the Boston Globe endorsement.

I figure he has less than a week left to his life in the race, so trying to get some posts in now.

It's a shame we don't see/hear more from him. He does have the best logo of all the challengers.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
I just find it funny that groups committed to "protecting life" would pray for death.

And groups promoting diversity being mostly white. And liberals preaching tolerance being intolerant. And groups promoting killing of babies want to keep baby killers alive. Happens all the time.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
I just find it funny that groups committed to "protecting life" would pray for death.

We need a new word to describe groups that small. Currently a group could be the entire membership of the NRA or five wackjobs with a web site. It just seems to give them more credibility than they deserve.

Micro-group perhaps?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
And groups promoting diversity being mostly white. And liberals preaching tolerance being intolerant. And groups promoting killing of babies want to keep baby killers alive. Happens all the time.

That's fine. You can call them out if you'd like. I'm just gonna reserve the right to call out organizations calling for or praying for the death of people because they're gay. Because I'm gay. And I don't think that's right. And particularly hypocritical when you do things in the same of "protecting life." So you can continue with a false equivalency all you'd like, but groups promoting diversity don't often call for the death of someone based on who that person is.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
That's fine. You can call them out if you'd like. I'm just gonna reserve the right to call out organizations calling for or praying for the death of people because they're gay. Because I'm gay. And I don't think that's right. And particularly hypocritical when you do things in the same of "protecting life." So you can continue with a false equivalency all you'd like, but groups promoting diversity don't often call for the death of someone based on who that person is.

If 'who that person is' would encompass being a conservative/Republican, there have been some. I recall a teachers union in Jersey wishing Christie dead not too long ago. And all the vitriol aimed at Palin can't be ignored. And if you add in 'bodily harm' instead of just death, you can include just about every liberal group out there wishing it on some conservative.

edit - I am not saying they are right for doing so. I hate fringe whackos like that, make everyone look bad.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
If 'who that person is' would encompass being a conservative/Republican, there have been some. I recall a teachers union in Jersey wishing Christie dead not too long ago. And all the vitriol aimed at Palin can't be ignored. And if you add in 'bodily harm' instead of just death, you can include just about every liberal group out there wishing it on some conservative.

edit - I am not saying they are right for doing so. I hate fringe whackos like that, make everyone look bad.

I don't ever support that kind of language in political discourse, ever. However, I do think there is a very real difference from an offhanded remark about someone and organizing a prayer chain to wish for death. Those two examples are very much not the same thing. Not even shades of it.

PS: I never thought you were, I just don't buy that what you initially described as the same thing.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
I don't ever support that kind of language in political discourse, ever. However, I do think there is a very real difference from an offhanded remark about someone and organizing a prayer chain to wish for death. Those two examples are very much not the same thing. Not even shades of it.

PS: I never thought you were, I just don't buy that what you initially described as the same thing.

So the head of the Jersey Teachers union sending an email to all the members asking them to pray for a Christie heart attack are not the same? It isn't just some offhand remark, its how they feel. And when they get called on it, they get all mealy mouthed about it saying 'that's not what I meant' or that it was somehow taken out of context, or the always awesome "i'm sorry if you were offended".

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
So the head of the Jersey Teachers union sending an email to all the members asking them to pray for a Christie heart attack are not the same? It isn't just some offhand remark, its how they feel. And when they get called on it, they get all mealy mouthed about it saying 'that's not what I meant' or that it was somehow taken out of context, or the always awesome "i'm sorry if you were offended".

/faints Alpha attacks conservatives? I assume that if it is school and prayer it must be a conservative group since liberals are the godless ones who took prayer out of school.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)

It's dumb for them to do that, but Rex was pointing out the irony of a group "dedicated to protecting life" or whatever they said also organizing prayer circles of death. Comparing that to a group that doesn't espouse protecting life as its goal isn't exactly a straight-up comparison.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
It's dumb for them to do that, but Rex was pointing out the irony of a group "dedicated to protecting life" or whatever they said also organizing prayer circles of death. Comparing that to a group that doesn't espouse protecting life as its goal isn't exactly a straight-up comparison.

If you will note I first compared it to groups that claim to be for diversity but yet consist of mostly white men. Or the Humane Society of the United States killing animals and dumping bodies in dumpsters when they claim to try and HELP animals. Or people in 'pro-choice' groups that have no problems killing babies who freak at the thought of killing a baby killer. I agree that what he pointed out was pretty stupid.

There are serious contentions to any of those other groups you listed that don't work for the group in question. You may not agree with them, of course, but the Humane Society likely has an explanation for what they do and why it ultimately is the most humane course of action and helps the most number of animals. And obviously the pro-individual-freedom people (like that re-labeling?) would not agree that they do not have problems killing babies (the support for individual choice could be made along libertarian lines similar to how they may oppose the Civil Rights Acts while also detesting racism) or that they are actually killing babies at all ("life begins at conception" is not a scientific or universally agreed concept).

However, in this group's case, they unambiguously claim to champion protecting life while at the same time are praying for someone else to die, and importantly that someone else isn't causing the deaths of others. There's no way to really square their statements as anything but cognitive dissonance.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)

Can you point to this email? Because I don't recall it, and I think I would have heard about it living in the New Jersey state capital.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)

^^^

Huntsman now climbing to 3rd in latest NH Poll at 16% (with Romney falling a bit to 37%, and Paul at 19%). A few of the recent polls have Jon in double digits, but this is the highest yet, and he is trending up.

Everyone else in that field has peaked at some point, I guess this was inevitable... but I don't see him catching Romney in NH, not nearly enough time or money. A 2nd place finish keeps him alive and still in the picture, 3rd is marginal. Lower than that, and he's toast (meaning zero chance toast, as opposed to the current 1% chance not-quite-toast).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
also just curious, what "groups dedicated to diversity that mostly consist of white men" are you referring to? Nothing springs to mind.

How about all the so-called inclusive occupy movements? Finding the black guy in most of them is harder than finding Waldo. But you would find guns, drugs, criminals and so on.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 11:54 PM)
How about all the so-called inclusive occupy movements? Finding the black guy in most of them is harder than finding Waldo. But you would find guns, drugs, criminals and so on.

Well, that just isn't true. But even if it were, you are still missing the point.