Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
Go check out his returns and see what percentage he donated to charity. And then compare that to Obama's percentage donated to charity. Or to any other Democratic politician that wants to be generous with other people's money, but not their own.

I'm pretty sure it was around the same in recent years. That he had millions to freely donate to the lds is also sorta the point.

It only partially explains his rates, anyway. It is mostly explained by the favorable rates the rich have set up for themselves. Like Romney being able to gift his children 100m and pay zero gift tax. I'm not sure why you are defending a rigged system.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)
Go check out his returns and see what percentage he donated to charity. And then compare that to Obama's percentage donated to charity. Or to any other Democratic politician that wants to be generous with other people's money, but not their own.

Obama is rich but not actually that rich. I bet you Romney's net worth is a couple orders of magnitude higher than Obama's.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 07:22 PM)
Serious question for the Republicans and conservatives here: do you believe Gingrich could beat Obama in the national election (barring any unknown circumstances and assuming the economy keeps at its current sluggish pace)?

I do, but only if there isn't some reality TV show styled issue with his wives. That's an issue of his character, I agree. But these are politicians, not saints. I think he's one of the best public speakers in the country. He'd crush Obama in a debate. Whether or not that resonates...I dunno.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
I do, but only if there isn't some reality TV show styled issue with his wives. That's an issue of his character, I agree. But these are politicians, not saints. I think he's one of the best public speakers in the country. He'd crush Obama in a debate. Whether or not that resonates...I dunno.

Why do you believe he'd crush Obama in a debate? He's been very successful at channeling Republican base anger thus far, but he appeared pretty weak when he couldn't do that at the latest one. SC Republicans love when he attacks the moderators and the liberal media, but I don't see that as an effective debate strategy in the general. Obama's not a fantastic debater himself, but he did well in 2008 and showed he has strong potential when he went to that GOP retreat in 2010. I still see a lot of jokes on conservative sites re: TelePrompters; do conservatives really believe he's an idiot who can't speak without one?

What about Gingrich's favorability ratings?

Gingrich talking about stuff like food stamps (which is such an insignificant part of the federal budget as to be irrelevant, and the alternative is to essentially let kids starve to death) isn't going to play in the general election, it's really easy to flip that s*** around.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Why do you believe he'd crush Obama in a debate? He's been very successful at channeling Republican base anger thus far, but he appeared pretty weak when he couldn't do that at the latest one. SC Republicans love when he attacks the moderators and the liberal media, but I don't see that as an effective debate strategy in the general. Obama's not a fantastic debater himself, but he did well in 2008 and showed he has strong potential when he went to that GOP retreat in 2010. I still see a lot of jokes on conservative sites re: TelePrompters; do conservatives really believe he's an idiot who can't speak without one?

What about Gingrich's favorability ratings?

This is like people who say Jay Cutler throws a lot of interceptions, it's pretty easy to tell they haven't actually watched him play in 2 years or looked at a stat sheet and they just repeat something they heard someone else say. Yeah Obama uses a teleprompter a lot but he is fully capable of speaking without it... and he has to all the time. Seriously has anyone who says this actually watched him answer a question? It's not like it's a rare occasion.

I've seen both of them speak in person and Obama (with or without the teleprompter) sounds like a robot churning out lines versus Newt talking like a human. He's a lot like Clinton in that way, and I think it'll appeal to a lot of people that want to compare the two directly.

I think the favorability stuff will figure itself out if he gets the nomination. Right now it's up and down:

Edited by Jenksismybitch

a) that interactive graph embed is pretty cool

b) those favorables are really f***ing horrible and what really stands out is that his unfavorables actually went UP when he gained momentum and eventually won SC, not down.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
I've seen both of them speak in person and Obama (with or without the teleprompter) sounds like a robot churning out lines versus Newt talking like a human. He's a lot like Clinton in that way, and I think it'll appeal to a lot of people that want to compare the two directly.

I think the favorability stuff will figure itself out if he gets the nomination. Right now it's up and down:

Fair enough. I'm asking because I'm curious, not because I want to argue whether he can or not.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
Gingrich talking about stuff like food stamps (which is such an insignificant part of the federal budget as to be irrelevant, and the alternative is to essentially let kids starve to death) isn't going to play in the general election, it's really easy to flip that s*** around.

It works in the primaries because he can blame it on the blacks.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)

candidate-tax-returns3.jpg

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Yes and no, Gingrich still lacks the national campaign infrastructure that Romney has. I know Nate Silver and other pundits are still putting the likelihood of a Gingrich nomination below 50%.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/01/...e_horrible.html

He didn't really have "Campaign infrastructure" in South Carolina either.

He's getting plenty of exposure thanks to the debates and press, and he's been able to mute Mittens' money using Superpac funds. Those 2 things don't necessarily need to change. As long as he can be on the air in states, and is actually winning primaries, the Iowa-style SuperPac money surge for Mitt might not work that well

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
Also worth pointing out that when you give several million dollars to the Mormon Church, it winds up buying "the Gays are coming for your kids!" commercials (with taxpayer help, of course).

http://swampland.time.com/2012/01/24/tax-r...-of-his-income/

Designed to follow the biblical mandate to feed the hungry and clothe the naked, the Mormon tithing system supports a giant welfare infrastructure. In addition to financing temple construction and missionary programs, tithing supports more than 300 employment-resource centers and 80 family-services offices around the world. The church employs some 8,500 missionaries who teach English, give agricultural aid, provide medical practices and distribute clothing. It even stores a three-to-six-month food supply so its members won’t go hungry in the event of a disaster, and most families forgo two consecutive meals a month to give money as a “fast offering” for the poor. Local bishops — a position Romney once held — work with members of their local church wards to overcome economic hardships, and are even empowered to pay a family’s mortgage in the hardest of times.