Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)

That doesn't make what SS2K5 said untrue. Obama was able to play off he anti-Bush crowd without having to constantly point it out, it was sort of granted to him by way of W's own incompetence. Dislike of Bush definitely played a part in Obama getting elected, regardless of the advertising used. That of course was not the ONLY thing that got him elected... for an african american to be elected President in the US, a lot of things had to go right. W being such an awful President was only one of those.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
That doesn't make what SS2K5 said untrue. Obama was able to play off he anti-Bush crowd without having to constantly point it out, it was sort of granted to him by way of W's own incompetence. Dislike of Bush definitely played a part in Obama getting elected, regardless of the advertising used. That of course was not the ONLY thing that got him elected... for an african american to be elected President in the US, a lot of things had to go right. W being such an awful President was only one of those.

There were eight years of negative campaigning. But of course if Balta moves the goalposts around to the right angle, it wasn't done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
There were eight years of negative campaigning. But of course if Balta moves the goalposts around to the right angle, it wasn't done.

I see, so the 2010 election was won thanks to negative campaigning also? Because by that standard, that's all the Tea Party was.

And man, we won th e 2008 election based on negative campaigning in 2003? Man, wish that would have prevented the Iraq war instead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)

Honestly, you guys going to the hyperbolic are both hilarious.

Yes, negative perceptions of Bush helped fuel Obama's election. Yes, Obama capitalized on that, and who wouldn't? No, Obama's campaign was not nearly as negative as McCain's, or even close to the ones we see now in the GOP primaries. No, Bush was not the only reason Obama was elected. No, Obama didn't do 8 years of negative campaigning.

But you two feel free to try to make everything simple, and black and white, even when it is not.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)

Yes, negative perceptions of Bush helped fuel Obama's election. Yes, Obama capitalized on that, and who wouldn't? No, Obama's campaign was not nearly as negative as McCain's, or even close to the ones we see now in the GOP primaries. No, Bush was not the only reason Obama was elected. No, Obama didn't do 8 years of negative campaigning.

But you two feel free to try to make everything simple, and black and white, even when it is not.

Nicely done.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)

Same old filibuster, different day. I'll leave this thread to the Democrats again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Same old filibuster, different day. I'll leave this thread to the Democrats again.

I just want to point out... the posts that started this discussion were pointing out the rate of negativity in adds by the major GOP contenders. You then turned into a thing about Obama.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
I just want to point out... the posts that started this discussion were pointing out the rate of negativity in adds by the major GOP contenders. You then turned into a thing about Obama.

Which was being pointed out by the Democrats of the thread as yet another of the perpetual slams on the Republicans in the Republican nomination thread.

Again, same old filibuster, different day.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Where else should people discuss, positively or negatively, the Republican candidates if not the Republican nomination thread?

By all means, I can't think of a better use of a thread than perpetual negativity to point out perpetual negativity.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
By all means, I can't think of a better use of a thread than perpetual negativity to point out perpetual negativity.

Oh come off the victim act. It was a posting of a news article that is absolutely on-topic and worth noting, and was offered with no commentary. What the hell do you expect to be posted in here?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
Oh come off the victim act. It was a posting of a news article that is absolutely on-topic and worth noting, and was offered with no commentary. What the hell do you expect to be posted in here?

It is exactly what I expect to be posted in here honestly.

The short-sightedness in these nominations (this year, and any year there's an incumbent), is that the conservatives are demolishing each other to the point where recovery is impossible.

Not that everyone doesn't know it, but it just baffles me that we teach our children to play nice, and then our world leaders act like morons, and it's been going on forever. Politics are such a joke.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
Then why are you complaining?

I wasn't. I made an observation to show that negative campaigning works.

This entire thread is pretty much a proof that many people right here believe that, or why the obsessive need to post pretty much any negativish article that can be found about the GOP contenders? The Democrats spent eight years beating up Bush, and then they demolished him. Now the Republicans are doing the same to each other, with plenty of encouragement from the left. If people here didn't believe it worked, the leading posters in this thread wouldn't be left wingers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
The short-sightedness in these nominations (this year, and any year there's an incumbent), is that the conservatives are demolishing each other to the point where recovery is impossible.

Not that everyone doesn't know it, but it just baffles me that we teach our children to play nice, and then our world leaders act like morons, and it's been going on forever. Politics are such a joke.

That reminds me, still cracks my s*** up that some of the more whacko far-right folks think Sesame Street is some sort of liberal brain-washing operation. The extremes in either party will always be crazy, the only difference right now is, the GOP seems to be allowing that part of the crowd to dictate terms. the Dems might be doing it too if they were having an actual primary race.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
That reminds me, still cracks my s*** up that some of the more whacko far-right folks think Sesame Street is some sort of liberal brain-washing operation. The extremes in either party will always be crazy, the only difference right now is, the GOP seems to be allowing that part of the crowd to dictate terms. the Dems might be doing it too if they were having an actual primary race.

The real argument against this is that Mittens is currently ahead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
I wasn't. I made an observation to show that negative campaigning works.

This entire thread is pretty much a proof that many people right here believe that, or why the obsessive need to post pretty much any negativish article that can be found about the GOP contenders? The Democrats spent eight years beating up Bush, and then they demolished him. Now the Republicans are doing the same to each other, with plenty of encouragement from the left. If people here didn't believe it worked, the leading posters in this thread wouldn't be left wingers.

Then go post something positive. Seriously, I'd love to see more of that. Tell people why Gingrich or Romney or Santorum or Paul or even one of the now-out candidates are great, or at least good. I did that with Huntsman, and I've said nice things about Paul and others as well. Have you?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
The real argument against this is that Mittens is currently ahead.

Sorry, let me clarify. The GOP CANDIDATES FOR PRESIDENT are doing that, and the party structure is going along as well. Not necessarily the voters, though I think that is also happening, just not as extremely and only for a certain %.

Romney is in the lead because of money, and because the general perception is that he has the best chance to beat Obama.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
The Dems might be doing it too if they were having an actual primary race.

Of course they would. Don't you remember Obama vs. Hillary? That was a bloodbath! However, that didn't hurt as much because the race was open... the Republicans were destroying each other, too. By the time the general election came around, both sides had already made excuses or figured out the lesser of two evils, then it was just Obama's massive social media/younger voter push that made it a no-brainer. Plus, it was change I actually made the mistake of believing in, not realizing that politics are at such a f***ing standstill in this country that hardly anything can get done no matter who is in charge.

But yes, with an incumbent, it really makes what the Republicans are doing this year, and to the extent they are doing, about as short-sighted as I've ever seen in politics.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
Then go post something positive. Seriously, I'd love to see more of that. Tell people why Gingrich or Romney or Santorum or Paul or even one of the now-out candidates are great, or at least good. I did that with Huntsman, and I've said nice things about Paul and others as well. Have you?

Either that or start a Democratic nomination thread and post every slam I can find about Obama, since that is what works.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
Either that or start a Democratic nomination thread and post every slam I can find about Obama.

Go for it. I don't know why you feel a thread about the Republican nomination should be a safe haven.

Edited by StrangeSox