Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
They'll only be replaced by the same old thing.

they won't actually. 70% of people aged 18-34 support Gay Marriage.

Just like the 40-50 year olds today aren't anti-black, or interracial marriage. General attitudes change as the population does.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
This post makes me very uncomfortable and unhappy and I wish it would disappear.

seriously? get over it. the world would be a better place if that guy didn't exist. simply true.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
We have a rule about not wishing for people to die based on their political beliefs and I think it's a good one.

you can control what i wish now? that MIGHT be overstepping the bounds of moderatorship.

but seriously, i just re-read the rules (uh-oh on the hyperbole too) and fair enough. i just don't know how you can watch that and not just get sick over it. and how that guy LAUGHED while saying it. and LAUGHED again at the anchors shock. someone like that has no place running this country. and by contributing heavily to Santorums PAC, that's exactly what he's doing. Shaping public opinion to what HE feels it should be. And when it's someone like that doing the shaping, that's just damn scary.

In a move that could again dramatically shake up the Republican primary race, billionaire and major Republican donor Sheldon Adelson is expected to donate an additional $10 million to the super PAC supporting Newt Gingrich, Winning Our Future, a source with knowledge of the donation told CNN.

That contribution is expected soon, before the end of the month, the source said. The timing is important because Gingirch, whose campaign has been lagging, is hoping to do well in several of the upcoming Super Tuesday states that vote on March 6 to boost his effort. His allies will need that money to be in a position to help. Because ten states go to the polls on that one day, money is key in order to do well.

Link. If Newt spends that money rapidly and focuses it all on Rmoney, then it could be a legit counterpoint to the ads Rmoney is running.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)

Apparently that plan, or at least an outline of it, has been released tonight. The language from that statement is technically correct, the plan includes a 20% across the board tax cut for everyone, eliminating the Alternative Minimum Tax, eliminating the Estate Tax, cutting the top line corporate tax rate, and removing larger fractions of the taxes on investments/dividends.

Thus, the way his language is accurate is that the top 1% pay the same "Share" of the total income taxes coming in that they're currently paying, it's just that everyone's is lower and they receive a much larger cut in terms of total dollar amount.

To pay for this, the plan includes clauses saying that he would raise the retirement age and eliminate Medicare, replacing it with an Obamacare style premium support plan, effectively the Paul Ryan plan, but without including numbers it's impossible to judge the impact on the overall budget, toher than to note that actually paying for a 20% across the board tax cut at present while trying to move the budget back into balance would require enormous monetary cuts to those 2 programs.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)
Newt: BMW, Mercedes, Toyota: the American Auto Industry.

Hey, Toyota does employ a good number of American workers. (Thanks in no small part to a Reagan era trade war regulation requiring them to do so to continue selling their products here).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
They all have plants here.

I have to imagine that the American companies have plenty of foreign employees as well. And that, to me, was why I never understood the whole "rah rah, buy American" bulls***. They're "American" in that they were founded here, period.