MLB Network Profiled League Average Players

knightni

I'm not sure whether to be happy or offended that MLB Network considers Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham and Paul Konerko to be American League average players at their 2009 positions (SS, 3B, 1B).

They did say a lot of nice things about Buehrle, though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 04:07 AM)
I'm not sure whether to be happy or offended that MLB Network considers Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham and Paul Konerko to be American League average players at their 2009 positions (SS, 3B, 1B).

They did say a lot of nice things about Buehrle, though.

What is there to be offended about? Sounds about right to me.

Well, that's logical (and I'm not sure it's taking defense negatively into account for Ramirez and Beckham in 2009), but Beckham's going to be a Top 3-5 second baseman in the majors (silly to compare him to 3B in the long term) and I think Ramirez, while perhaps never putting up Soriano-esque homer and stolen base numbers, is a Top 7-10 SS.

Konerko signed a "fair market value" deal after the World Series, actually a bit below what a couple of other teams were offering. Because of the economic depression and due to the fact that 1B/DH/corner outfielders are now taking significant pay cuts, he's probably overpaid by about $4-6 million, but that's okay. Still would have regretted losing him more, although maybe if Contreras, Linebrink and Paulie had signed shorter contracts we would have been in much better shape financially.

Konerko's still slightly above league average. As a 2.5 win player, that's better than your average starting player.

Gordon Beckham posted a 2 WAR last year in 100 games and he'll probably progress, so definitely above average.

Even Alexei was slightly above average last year on a down offensive year.

They really picked the wrong guys to call "average".

Usually, when we talk about league average, we mean replacement player, which means a WAR of 0. All three of these guys are far beyond that level.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
Konerko's still slightly above league average. As a 2.5 win player, that's better than your average starting player.

Gordon Beckham posted a 2 WAR last year in 100 games and he'll probably progress, so definitely above average.

Even Alexei was slightly above average last year on a down offensive year.

They really picked the wrong guys to call "average".

Usually, when we talk about league average, we mean replacement player, which means a WAR of 0. All three of these guys are far beyond that level.

A WAR of 2 is average. The fact is, Konerko gets destroyed because of the positional adjustment. Alexei had a down year, but I think he rebound, and his plate discipline continues to improve. As for Beckham, I think he'll be a good 2B, probably a tier below Utley, Pedroia, and Kinsler (and maybe Zobrist) though.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
A WAR of 2 is average. The fact is, Konerko gets destroyed because of the positional adjustment. Alexei had a down year, but I think he rebound, and his plate discipline continues to improve. As for Beckham, I think he'll be a good 2B, probably a tier below Utley, Pedroia, and Kinsler (and maybe Zobrist) though.

Why? He seems to be on track to match all of these guys.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)

For a starting player, it is. For any player, it's not. I don't really know what MLBN was getting at, but Konerko, Beckham, and Ramirez are still above average players.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
Why? He seems to be on track to match all of these guys.

It's not that I don't think I can, but I'm still unsure about Beckham's defense at 2B. And lets face it, a tier below those guys is still really impressive. Second is loaded with talent right now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
For a starting player, it is. For any player, it's not. I don't really know what MLBN was getting at, but Konerko, Beckham, and Ramirez are still above average players.

I see your point, but the fact is they're starters, so I feel like you have to hold them to that standard.