Bill Simmons is so wrong

knightni

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nfl

Steps to be a tortured fan:

3. During that 35-plus years without a title, it's not enough to lose. You need to have your guts wrenched a few times.

A great example: Heading into 2005, the White Sox hadn't won a World Series since 1917 and the Cubs hadn't won since 1908, but only Cubs fans were considered "tortured." And with reason. Maybe White Sox fans hadn't won anything, but they didn't have a ton of scars, either. Cubs fans were scarred like tribal warriors. Big difference.

Please.

We had tortures in '59, '83, '93, and '00 - along with collapsing in the 50s and 70s.

The Cubs had about the same amount.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
2000 broke my little 11 year old heart, I can only imagine stuff like 83.

Getting swept in the first round isn't comparable to losing like in the bartman game.

In reality I think he meant to say "no one cares about the white sox, so they don't count."

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Cub fans have always played up the "loveable losers" crap. So they get more attention.

I used to work with a bunch of Cub fans and whenever we would argue about our teams, I would bring up 2005. The first thing out of their mouths was "Who cares about 2005 - people don't even remember who won the World Series that year!" They are always trying to downplay what happened in 2005.

It really pissed me off when certain people in sports claimed that the most significant thing to happen in baseball in Chicago in the last decade wasn't the 2005 title, but BARTMAN?!?!

Edited by Chet Kincaid

The Cubs were one win away from the Series with three games to play twice in 20 years, and choked in catastrophic fashion both times.

Their 1969 giveaway was also historic, rivaling only the 1964 Philllies for epic collapses.

They haven't won a series in 101 years, and haven't been to one in 65.

Their status as one of the all time piss poor franchises is probably unrivalved in major sport.

Imo, their fans have had it much worse than we have. And except for maybe a few, true blue old-timers, I don't pity those idiots one bit.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
The Cubs were one win away from the Series with three games to play twice in 20 years, and choked in catastrophic fashion both times.

Their 1969 giveaway was also historic, rivaling only the 1964 Philllies for epic collapses.

They haven't won a series in 101 years, and haven't been to one in 65.

Their status as one of the all time piss poor franchises is probably unrivalved in major sport.

Imo, their fans have had it much worse than we have. And except for maybe a few, true blue old-timers, I don't pity those idiots one bit.

Not to mention 2008. The media over hype machine annointed them NL champions in March, they were easily the best team in the NL from wire-to-wire, and then they proceeded to s*** the bed in the first few innings of game 1, and never recovered to even win a single game.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
This is just a reminder to us all that people still think of Chicago as a Cubs town. We're like second class citizens. That's alright though. I bet we win another World Series before they do.

My dream scenario is still a Sox-Cubs World Series, ending in Game 7 at USCF with a Paulie walkoff grand slam after being down by 3.

It would destroy Cubdom.

I'm a big fan of Drew Magery over at Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/5459870/dear-bill-simm...-my-pain-for-me

And one other thing…

'Heading into 2005, the White Sox hadn't won a World Series since 1917 and the Cubs hadn't won since 1908, but only Cubs fans were considered "tortured." And with reason. Maybe White Sox fans hadn't won anything, but they didn't have a ton of scars, either. Cubs fans were scarred like tribal warriors. Big difference.'

O RLY? Well, why don't you ask a f***ing White Sox fan about that before you go spouting off about how much more existential angst Cubs fans have? THE WHITE SOX f***ING THREW THE WORLD SERIES. Something tells me that stung for a handful of their old fans. Don't tell me some batch of asshole fans has somehow built up more character than another bunch of asshole fans, because that is s***. A loss is a loss for any fan. It sucks if you're a Royals fan and your team loses. It sucks if you're a Jets fan and your team loses. And it sucks equally, because that's how s*** f***ing works.

Older Sox fans need to tell us about blowing the 2 game led with 3 to play when they were playing the absolutly horrendous KC Athletics or something like that.

Veeck's dumb trades also cost them potential pennents in the early 60's as well.

I have two names for you....Larry Sherry.

Also Tito Landrum, Cal Ripken stated that at Comiskey there was no way the O's were going to beat Dewey Lamar.................f***ing coccaine.

The strike..although the inguns were coming quick.

Jerry Dybzynski makes Scott Pods base running gaffees look like childs play.

The luck of 2005 makes it all water under the bridge.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Words can't describe. I knew with so much certainty that if they worked it out and held off a strike, that was our year. I could just feel it. And then...poof.

I felt exactly the same way. I had the same feeling that year watching them that I had when I watched the Bulls during their three peats. I just knew they were going to win it all....and then they went on strike.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
My dream scenario is still a Sox-Cubs World Series, ending in Game 7 at USCF with a Paulie walkoff grand slam after being down by 3.

It would destroy Cubdom.

That would be too nerve racking. I would rather just sweep them. I would greatly fear losing to the Cubs in the World Series. I mean their fans can't keep their mouths shut now and they haven't won anything in over one hundred years, imagine if they beat us in the World Series