Sox not adding a LH bat; looking at relief, Damon?

beck72

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?name=levine

TIFWIW, Bruce Levine added yesterday that the sox weren't looking to add a lefty bat. That they passed on Delgado because they didn't think he could play the field. But they are watching the Damon situation to see if his price drops to a bargain level. Very interesting is that he said the sox are looking at middle relief.

Of the names he mentions as being available [not that the sox have talked specifically to these teams], is Scott Downs. That he's due to make $4 mill for a bad Toronto team doesn't make a lot of sense, unless they plan on having him close. He'd be nice upgrade over Randy Williams. And if they traded for him, Downs might be a good candidate to yield draft picks, as the Sox would prob. offer arbitration after 2010.

Yet that $4 mill. might be better spent on Damon, IMO. I do like the idea of possibly building onto the existing bullpen [esp. another lefty], making the rotation and bullpen both one of the best in the AL [at least on paper]. I'm just not sure what LHP's are out there that might be available.

Thoughts?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
If they couldn't afford Nick Johnson, I doubt that they have 4 million for Damon.

I'm all for improving the pen, but if they got Downs, I doubt that they'd offer arbitration down the road for picks; we don't seem to do that a whole lot around here.

Would Damon at $5 mill., be a better get than Downs at $4 mill.? If the sox are looking to add a bullpen piece, those available might be vets who are making money, such as Downs.

As far as offering arb. goes, the Sox haven't had many players that were making a reasonable salary going into their free agency, that they would want back at deal close to their previous year's salary. Esp. as the market has dropped in recent years. Dotel and Dye weren't worth it. Downs might not either, but it may be close. $4 mill. for a 2nd LHP [though he could be the first LHP option for many teams] might be a bit steep.

Well, I'd much rather pay Damon $4-5 million and try the "audition by committee" bullpen approach that failed so miserably before than spend that money on Downs. No way do I spend that money on Scott.

Ever since David Riske, we've been failing to offer arbitration to most of our veteran players at the end of their contracts.

I just don't see how you spend that kind of money on the last roster spot compared to investing it in Johnny Damon, who very well could be an impact bat and the last piece of the puzzle in our roster construction.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
Well, I'd much rather pay Damon $4-5 million and try the "audition by committee" bullpen approach that failed so miserably before than spend that money on Downs. No way do I spend that money on Scott.

Ever since David Riske, we've been failing to offer arbitration to most of our veteran players at the end of their contracts.

I just don't see how you spend that kind of money on the last roster spot compared to investing it in Johnny Damon, who very well could be an impact bat and the last piece of the puzzle in our roster construction.

I agree, it doesn't make sense that the sox may look to add a Heath Bell or Scott Downs, but not Damon at a similar price tag, provided this is true from Levine. I can see the argument [though I don't agree] of not spending $5, 6 mill on Damon and waiting to add via trade later in the year. But I would think Damon + an extra $2 million in salary >>> than a Heath Bell/ Scott Downs type bullpen arm would help the sox more, esp. given how poor the offense in 2009 was.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Assuming this is even vaguely accurate... it makes no sense. Middle Relief? When they could have had Carrasco for less than this? I like the idea of Damon, but, HE'S A LEFTY BAT. The article says they aren't adding one? Just seems like a steaming pile of nonsense to me.

It seems from the article to me that if Damon's price drops to a level they "can't say no to", the sox might bite. Otherwise, they'll stand pat and won't add anyone, no matter the price.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Well considering that Damon supposedly has a 6 and a 7 million dollar offer, there isn't much point in getting excited about this.

Right. Supposedly Damon turned down $7 million by the A's, who are suddenly in spending mode after missing out on Aroldis Chapman and being pressured by the MLB to spend more of their revenue sharing money (which probably led them to signing Sheets early this week). Reportedly the Rays have made an offer as well. The Sox just aren't going to get Damon unless they are willing to shell out $7-8 million, and the odds of that are probably extremely low.

Downs would be huge for this bullpen. I don't like the idea of paying $4 million for him, but adding Downs would erase most of the question marks about our pen and give us one of the most dominant staffs in baseball. I wouldn't be opposed to adding him, for the simple reason that I can't control when and where they spend their money, so I may as well favor any move that improves the team at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Well considering that Damon supposedly has a 6 and a 7 million dollar offer, there isn't much point in getting excited about this.

True about Damon. But he isn't signed yet, though he should be signed in the $5-7 mill range. The talk [even if it's Bruce L.] of the Sox looking to add a bullpen arm does sounds intriguing, no?

According to Joel Sherman, Damon would be willing to play for $7 million with part of that being deferred, so I would imagine since he hasn't signed, the $7 million he turned down, if he did get an offer, is not available anymore. Supposedly the Yankees were willing to give him 2 years $14 million if they didn't sign Nick Johnson, but they did. Then supposedly before they signed Winn, the offered him one year $6 million with half of it being deferred, he said no. The A's were interested, but they just spent $10 million on Sheets. I doubt they would go $7 million for Damon. I think $4-5 million with another $1-2 million in incentives could get it done right now, maybe even cheaper if you wait a while but run the risk of losing him. Johnny Damon is this year's Bobby Abreu, and the Sox do have a spot for him.

If you're willing to spend $4 million on Downs, a guy who will pitch about 50 innings, I can't see why you wouldn't go after Damon at his current price tag.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
According to Joel Sherman, Damon would be willing to play for $7 million with part of that being deferred, so I would imagine since he hasn't signed, the $7 million he turned down, if he did get an offer, is not available anymore. Supposedly the Yankees were willing to give him 2 years $14 million if they didn't sign Nick Johnson, but they did. Then supposedly before they signed Winn, the offered him one year $6 million with half of it being deferred, he said no. The A's were interested, but they just spent $10 million on Sheets. I doubt they would go $7 million for Damon. I think $4-5 million with another $1-2 million in incentives could get it done right now, maybe even cheaper if you wait a while but run the risk of losing him. Johnny Damon is this year's Bobby Abreu, and the Sox do have a spot for him.

I think the chances of getting Damon are remote, but at least Levine's sources are not saying NO. I'm very happy about the bullpen talk, I hate Randy Williams and we need an upgrade, reminder last season at Yankee stadium.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)

If you're willing to spend $4 million on Downs, a guy who will pitch about 50 innings, I can't see why you wouldn't go after Damon at his current price tag.

I forget the exact quote, but Kenny did say that bargains would be out there late in the offseason, ala Abreu. Damon at $5, 6 mill would qualify as a bargain.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
I think the chances of getting Damon are remote, but at least Levine's sources are not saying NO. I'm very happy about the bullpen talk, I hate Randy Williams and we need an upgrade, reminder last season at Yankee stadium.

If either one comes true, it would make for a nice offseason.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)

Nice post. . Damon fits in perfect for the type of team KW and Ozzie want. Damon is in the stage of his career where an extra 2 million isn't going to make or break him and he is best friends with AJ. He isn't the prototypical DH- but either is the Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel platoon they have planned. A Pierre-Damon 1-2 punch would be very nice at the top! Get it done KW!

If Damon was playing for the Sox in '10 what do you guys think his stats would be? You do have to take into to account that new Yankee stadium was perfect for him, and he is also getting older, at 36 years old, and was also just in a contract year. ...Then again he could bring back a certain bead....

I'd assume if healthy, he'd bring in around 10 HR, 60 RBIs, .350 OBP, and 15 SB. That's not too bad, and is definitely better than the floating KotJones DH, but that doesn't make him a miracle worker. Would you guys be happy with that stat line? Would project him pretty differently?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
Nice post. . Damon fits in perfect for the type of team KW and Ozzie want. Damon is in the stage of his career where an extra 2 million isn't going to make or break him and he is best friends with AJ. He isn't the prototypical DH- but either is the Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel platoon they have planned. A Pierre-Damon 1-2 punch would be very nice at the top! Get it done KW!

He is?

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 06:49 AM)
http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?name=levine

TIFWIW, Bruce Levine added yesterday that the sox weren't looking to add a lefty bat. That they passed on Delgado because they didn't think he could play the field. But they are watching the Damon situation to see if his price drops to a bargain level. Very interesting is that he said the sox are looking at middle relief.

Thoughts?

Our team does realize that the designated hitter doesn't play the field, right?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
If Damon was playing for the Sox in '10 what do you guys think his stats would be? You do have to take into to account that new Yankee stadium was perfect for him, and he is also getting older, at 36 years old, and was also just in a contract year. ...Then again he could bring back a certain bead....

I'd assume if healthy, he'd bring in around 10 HR, 60 RBIs, .350 OBP, and 15 SB. That's not too bad, and is definitely better than the floating KotJones DH, but that doesn't make him a miracle worker. Would you guys be happy with that stat line? Would project him pretty differently?

I think he'd hit between 12-18 homers, score a lot of runs. Steal at least 20 because Ozzie wants to run. His SB were down last year he says because he didn't run in front of Texiera. He was 12-12 stealing. He can replace Getz' production there.

Who knows, maybe when it gets serious, someone is willing to step up and pay him, but if he signs for $5-6 million total and the White Sox don't get involved, I think they would have made a mistake.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
I think he'd hit between 12-18 homers, score a lot of runs. Steal at least 20 because Ozzie wants to run. His SB were down last year he says because he didn't run in front of Texiera. He was 12-12 stealing. He can replace Getz' production there.

Who knows, maybe when it gets serious, someone is willing to step up and pay him, but if he signs for $5-6 million total and the White Sox don't get involved, I think they would have made a mistake.

Huge mistake. Putting a .360 or so obp guy in front of Becks would be huge for this offense.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
yeah. they went to high school together and currently are nieghbors in florida. I'm pretty sure they wrestled together in TNA also. . good times!

Well that is an interesting angle. I was not aware of that. My guess is Kenny may use AJ as a go-between to Johnny to try and mitigate Boras's influence.