Sox not adding a LH bat; looking at relief, Damon?

beck72

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
I think he'd hit between 12-18 homers, score a lot of runs. Steal at least 20 because Ozzie wants to run. His SB were down last year he says because he didn't run in front of Texiera. He was 12-12 stealing. He can replace Getz' production there.

Who knows, maybe when it gets serious, someone is willing to step up and pay him, but if he signs for $5-6 million total and the White Sox don't get involved, I think they would have made a mistake.

Damon really is the perfect fit for this team. You showed how he can contribute offensively in a bunch of ways, but most importantly, the guy gets on base at a nice rate and this team is seriously lacking OBP as currently constructed. Also, he can play a little bit of OF, which would allow Ozzie to keep his rotating DH scenario inact, but in a more productive manner.

Honestly, this is something that will come down to the dollars. If Damon's price falls to $4 million, I don't see KW passing on him. In fact, I think Damon is the one free agent KW would sign with or without 100% approval of Ozzie.

General question though, if the Sox were to sign Damon, where does he bat in the lineup? Would Guillen really bat two lefties back-to-back at the top of his lineup? The #2 spot seems like the best fit for Damon, but I could see Guillen wanting to spread out his lefties.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would love to see damon on the southside this year, pierre(9) and Damon(1-2) would be very nice turn over when pierre actually gets on base.

R Beckham

L Damon

R Rios

R Quentin

L Teahen

R Konerko

L AJ

R Alexei

L Pierre

Damon sounds like a pipedream at this point.

Downs would be affordable because the Sox could always add prospects to get the Jays to eat salary, but that's something I really wouldn't want to do. I pretty much hate the idea of trading top prospects for relievers, so therefore I expect Kenny to do that now.

If the Sox do actually have $4M to spend, the first thing I'd suggest would be looking for a team willing to take on Linebrink at about $2M per over the next two years, meaning we'd have to eat $3M this year and $3.5M in 2011. Then take the $2M savings and offer it to Damon ($6M total in 2010 with an option for 2011). And if the Sox really want to add to the bullpen then they don't need to trade for anyone, they just need to stick Hudson out there and let go of the low risk/high reward Dolsi, Santos, Santeliz, etc. projects this year. That said I really doubt anything like that happens.

I'm not too familiar with Downs. Can someone please summarize his stuff beyond just his stat line?

Damon fits in far too well with what Ozzie and Kenny have talked about re a "flexible DH" for the Sox to ever actually sign him, but I've been hoping they do.

Damon would sell some tickets. If KW was saying with a straight face when he offered Torii Hunter all that cheddar that they were stretching the budget but Hunter t-shirt and jersey sales along with the expected increase in ticket sales would cover the deficit, then Damon is in the same boat although he wouldn't have to sell as many. Its not a long term committment. Its nothing that would be a burden for seasons to come. Maybe they are secretly negotiating with him. Maybe Boras is throwing out all these other teams in order to create a fake market. It just seems right now no team is going to offer Damon a big contract. I have wanted Damon from day 1 and in the back of my mind, I always thought the Yankees would be the biggest threat to screw it up if the White Sox did go after him. They have to be out now. I really doubt Damon wants to go to Oakland. He had a bad year in that park when he was in his prime. If it happened again, he probably would be done. He might take less to play near home in Tampa, but how much are they going to really offer him? Detroit? I think you give him a contract he can save some face on and Boras could spin into a good situation, he can be had.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm not too familiar with Downs. Can someone please summarize his stuff beyond just his stat line?

Damon fits in far too well with what Ozzie and Kenny have talked about re a "flexible DH" for the Sox to ever actually sign him, but I've been hoping they do.

He's a 2 time former Cub. A failed starter, was actually released by Montreal in 2004. Toronto signed him and had him start for a while and relieve some. The last 3 seasons he's been a reliever exclusively and has been pretty good. He is 33 or 34, so he's really no spring chicken, but he's an asset. I just don't know if you want to spend $4 million on the second lefty in the bullpen. I'm all for spending cash, but I think the Sox need to spend on a bat. If they want to do both fine with me. If they pass on the bat and do this instead, it still should improve the bullpen, which should lead to more wins. Another quality reliever isn't going to hurt.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
Damon would sell some tickets. If KW was saying with a straight face when he offered Torii Hunter all that cheddar that they were stretching the budget but Hunter t-shirt and jersey sales along with the expected increase in ticket sales would cover the deficit, then Damon is in the same boat although he wouldn't have to sell as many. Its not a long term committment. Its nothing that would be a burden for seasons to come. Maybe they are secretly negotiating with him. Maybe Boras is throwing out all these other teams in order to create a fake market. It just seems right now no team is going to offer Damon a big contract. I have wanted Damon from day 1 and in the back of my mind, I always thought the Yankees would be the biggest threat to screw it up if the White Sox did go after him. They have to be out now. I really doubt Damon wants to go to Oakland. He had a bad year in that park when he was in his prime. If it happened again, he probably would be done. He might take less to play near home in Tampa, but how much are they going to really offer him? Detroit? I think you give him a contract he can save some face on and Boras could spin into a good situation, he can be had.

I would think hitting at the Cell for 1 year wouldn't be a bad place to up his value. Seeing what Abreu did in 2009, htting at his norms for a playoff contending team, and he then got a decent 2 yr deal, would have to be in Damon's mind now, as the big contract isn't happening for him, this offseason

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)

At this stage of his career, you would have to think he wants to go to a contender- with the Yankees out of the picture, I could see the Rays and White Sox as his top two choices.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)

I agree with you about Oakland. I think that is an option of last resort.

Sounds like Boras is trying to drum up interest from Detroit, maybe moreso than here because of his distaste for our FO as well as the Andruw Jones connection you have mentioned before.

I would be shocked if we did sign Damon, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
I agree with you about Oakland. I think that is an option of last resort.

Sounds like Boras is trying to drum up interest from Detroit, maybe moreso than here because of his distaste for our FO as well as the Andruw Jones connection you have mentioned before.

I would be shocked if we did sign Damon, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I don't see how Damon would fit with the Tigers.

They already have Cabrera and then five outfielders fighting for at-bats (Ordonez, Carlos Guillen, Austin Jackson, Raburn and Thomas).

Assuming Ordonez is RF/DH, Guillen is LF/DH, Jackson for CF and Raburn and Thomas both deserving of playing time, it doesn't make sense. And I think they just spent their final wad of money on Valverde.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
I think Renyel Pinto or Taylor Tanksersley could be had from the Marlins for a lot less than Scott Downs. Honestly, if i had run of this team i'd sign Damon, Leslie Anderson, and then float Kotsay to the Marlins as a one-year replacement for Ross Gload.

From the way these situations always go, I would be surprised if Anderson ended up being able to play before the 2nd half of the season in the US.

But definitely, I'd take him over Maya (of the Cubans, along with Arguelles). If nothing else, he would be insurance for Flowers/Viciedo not making it at 1B/DH if they move Tyler...although I think the odds are still 50/50 he stays at catcher.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
I think Renyel Pinto or Taylor Tanksersley could be had from the Marlins for a lot less than Scott Downs. Honestly, if i had run of this team i'd sign Damon, Leslie Anderson, and then float Kotsay to the Marlins as a one-year replacement for Ross Gload.

Good thought on Pinto, either way glad to hear we are looking for LH relief

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
Well that is an interesting angle. I was not aware of that. My guess is Kenny may use AJ as a go-between to Johnny to try and mitigate Boras's influence.

I wouldnt classify the two as best friends. And I doubt either would give up a few million dollars just to play with each other unless the team had a strong chance at winning a title.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
I wouldnt classify the two as best friends. And I doubt either would give up a few million dollars just to play with each other unless the team had a strong chance at winning a title.

Well, I think signing Damon would give him as strong a chance at winning a titles as any team that is seriously considering his services at the moment (assuming the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Dodgers, etc., are out).

Secondly, it's one thing to give up a few million dollars out of the desire to play with a buddy. It's another thing to make a decision to play for less than you anticipated in lieu of retiring from baseball.

I'd like Downs as that would make this a very good bullpen, but what I don't like is the notion of spending money the second LHP in the BP if Damon could be had for just a little bit more.

Of course, I'd love to get both, but I don't see them spending another $10M

i don't see where the Sox offense has been improved all that much. Pierre for speed and average equals Pods. Teahan might be an improvement but we lost power in not signing Thome and Dye. We need some more offensive punch as the team hasn't gotten much faster

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
Well considering that Damon supposedly has a 6 and a 7 million dollar offer, there isn't much point in getting excited about this.

its not like they havent spoken to his agent though, which is always positive. We also have a much better team than the A's.

I'd be thrilled with Johnny Damon and I think Ozzie would be too. He fits the club more than Nick Johnson (or at least Ozzie's idea for the club) and would be a tremendous get. If we could ultimately get him for 5M with some incentives, I think the Sox will do that.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
So Damon to RF, and Quentin to DH?

LF) Pierre

2B) Beckham

DH) Quentin

1B) Konerko

RF) Damon

C) Pierzynski

SS) Ramirez

CF) Rios

3B) Teahen

Is that the line-up?

No way do you ever play Damon in RF. I would have Damon and Pierre alternate between LF and DH. This keeps their legs fresh all season which helps both their running games. Pierre would get about 60% of the starts in LF and Damon 60% at DH.