Sox not adding a LH bat; looking at relief, Damon?

beck72

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
So Damon to RF, and Quentin to DH?

LF) Pierre

2B) Beckham

DH) Quentin

1B) Konerko

RF) Damon

C) Pierzynski

SS) Ramirez

CF) Rios

3B) Teahen

Is that the line-up?

Johnny Damon is no where near a full time outfielder at this point in his career, especially in right field and ESPECIALLY with Juan Pierre in left, that'd be a disaster. He'd be fine playing about 30 to 40 games out there tops in my mind with close to zero games in right.

Also, I know this would never happen but I'd personally hit Damon leadoff, Beckham 2nd and Pierre 9th, I think that's the optimal configuration. 2 high on base percentage hitters with good speed at the top and your super speedy, low on base guy turning over the lineup at the bottom.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
i don't see where the Sox offense has been improved all that much. Pierre for speed and average equals Pods. Teahan might be an improvement but we lost power in not signing Thome and Dye. We need some more offensive punch as the team hasn't gotten much faster

Outside of adding somebody like AGON, there's really not a whole lot that could've been done to upgrade the offense THAT much. That's why I haven't been obsessing over guys like Thome and Damon (the latter is quickly becoming Soxtalk's latest obsession). People seem to be in denial or are just flat out ignoring the fact that without rebound years from CQ, Rios and Ramirez, the offense won't be good enough regardless.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Also, I know this would never happen but I'd personally hit Damon leadoff, Beckham 2nd and Pierre 9th, I think that's the optimal configuration. 2 high on base percentage hitters with good speed at the top and your super speedy, low on base guy turning over the lineup at the bottom.

I agree. I'd bat Damon leadoff and Pierre ninth. But Ozzie would probably bat Pierre leadoff and Damon second. It would still be an improvement over Jones/Kotsay somewhere in the middle.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
I agree. I'd bat Damon leadoff and Pierre ninth. But Ozzie would probably bat Pierre leadoff and Damon second. It would still be an improvement over Jones/Kotsay somewhere in the middle.

Agreed with you and Kalapse in that regard 100%.

I'm 100% with everyone who would love to see Damon come on board and either be the full-time DH or part-time DH/part-time leftfielder, while batting 1st or second in the line-up. But such an arrangement would mean Ozzie would have to walk away from this "flexible DH" idea he's been touting all winter long, the one that got a lot of attention just a week ago when they eventually said "Thanks, but no thanks" to Thome. Unfortunately, I don't think Guillen is willing to do that, and as such, I can't really envision Damon accepting an offer to come play for us if it meant some sort of part-time role. I mean, can you realistically see Ozzie now doing an about-face on his desire to give all of those at-bats to Jones and Kotsay (and even Vizquel!), after everything he just got done stating about DH flexibility during the Thome negotiations? As sad as it is to say, I just can't see him chucking that idea out the window at this point in time. It would make him look rather foolish and indecisive.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
So Damon to RF, and Quentin to DH?

LF) Pierre

2B) Beckham

DH) Quentin

1B) Konerko

RF) Damon

C) Pierzynski

SS) Ramirez

CF) Rios

3B) Teahen

Is that the line-up?

I do like what ya got there because damon breaks up the righties butttttt.... i think youd see

Pierre

Damon

Q

PK

Beckham

Teahen

Rios

AJ

Lexi

and after a while i see Beckham movin up to the 3, whoevers doin better PK or Q in the 4 then the lesser of the 2 in the 5....of course assuming GB does what we all think he can do

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
I do like what ya got there because damon breaks up the righties butttttt.... i think youd see

Pierre

Damon

Q

PK

Beckham

Teahen

Rios

AJ

Lexi

and after a while i see Beckham movin up to the 3, whoevers doin better PK or Q in the 4 then the lesser of the 2 in the 5....of course assuming GB does what we all think he can do

I just love Becks in the 2-hole because he is such a good gap hitter, than if Pierre gets on base, he could score from 1st, or at least have a chance at stealing 2nd and then easily scoring on a gap hit. Beckham I think will level out at about 20-25 HR guy, so the 2-hole seems like a good fit for him. But wherever he hits I am sure he will produce.

If Damon can be signed, then I really like the following lineup. It's so much more balanced 1-9 with him in there over Jones or Kotsay. Speaking of Jones and Kotsay (and even Vizquel), I think they are championship caliber bench players, and that's what I'd love for them to be on the 2010 White Sox.

Pierre LF

Beckham 2B

Damon DH

TCQ RF

Konerko 1B

Teahen 3B / AJP C

Rios CF

AJP C / Teahen 3B

Alexei SS

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
most high school girls softball teams would have better throwing outfields than one with pierre and damon....im all for bringing damon in as DH though

They wouldn't be out there together all the time. A game here a game there wouldn't be so bad. The Sox used to have Raines and One Dog next to each other every game for years. They also threw flyballs back to the infield.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
They wouldn't be out there together all the time. A game here a game there wouldn't be so bad. The Sox used to have Raines and One Dog next to each other every game for years. They also threw flyballs back to the infield.

Come on DA.. can't you just feel the Damon-Pierre-Jones/Kotsay outfield on Sundays (or another day or two out the week) with Ozzie? :D

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
Come on DA.. can't you just feel the Damon-Pierre-Jones outfield on Sundays (or another day or two out the week) with Ozzie? :D

For sure, but it wouldn't happen everyday. Rios has to play CF regularly, not RF. If not, it made absolutely no sense to claim him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
For sure, but it wouldn't happen everyday. Rios has to play CF regularly, not RF. If not, it made absolutely no sense to claim him.

Agreed 100%. I love his contract value as our everyday CF (not to mention his defense) Hopefully he can have an outstanding year with the bat.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
I'd love to see them add Downs over Williams. that could be a pretty sick pitching staff and with improved D behind it, the Sox could be a very stingy team.

That would be the second best thing to happen.

I'd rather take the money we're going to pay Downs and add a couple of million to it to sign Damon.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
This is kinda random, but how good was D-Weezy in center field? What did the metrics say about him?

I already know where you're going with that question. I want to know...did Alex Rios do something to you? I mean really. This level of hate is not healthy. You can't possibly be insinuating that you'd rather have Wise in CF over Rios?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I already know where you're going with that question. I want to know...did Alex Rios do something to you? I mean really. This level of hate is not healthy. You can't possibly be insinuating that you'd rather have Wise in CF over Rios?

I wasn't going anywhere with that. I was just watching some highlights from last year (not 'the catch') and was just wondering what the D metrics said about him.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 07:40 PM)
I wasn't going anywhere with that. I was just watching some highlights from last year (not 'the catch') and was just wondering what the D metrics said about him.

You sure? Because that question is just a little TOO random. Sure you're not trying to see if Wise's metrics are on the plus side? Then you can say we could've just left him in CF for a lot less money than what we're paying Rios? Anyway, you can go to fangraphs to find what you're looking for.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
You sure? Because that question is just a little TOO random. Sure you're not trying to see if Wise's metrics are on the plus side? Then you can say we could've just left him in CF for a lot less money than what we're paying Rios? Anyway, you can go to fangraphs to find what you're looking for.

Even with Rios' awful numbers he was still overall better than Wise with the bat. I don't want Wise back. I was just curious.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
This is kinda random, but how good was D-Weezy in center field? What did the metrics say about him?

It's hard to say since he only played 35 games there. Had he played 150 games in center he'd easily be in the top 10 in the MLB. But in RF, he'd probably be in the Top 5.

On a side note: Ryan Sweeney was one of the best fielding RF in '09.