Neyer projects Sox as AL Central champs

thedoctor

Rather than complimenting a writer who actually predicts the Sox to win while others get flamed for predicting the Sox do poorly...

Neyer's a f***ing idiot, his argument doesn't make any sense, and even he doesn't know how it all adds up. Obviously he has no credibility.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Rather than complimenting a writer who actually predicts the Sox to win while others get flamed for predicting the Sox do poorly...

Neyer's a f***ing idiot, his argument doesn't make any sense, and even he doesn't know how it all adds up. Obviously he has no credibility.

whoa. ease up a bit there.

i'm neither complimenting or ripping him. just stating his prediction, that's all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)

What? You don't think Javier Vazquez is the 30th best player of the decade?

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
whoa. ease up a bit there.

i'm neither complimenting or ripping him. just stating his prediction, that's all.

Oh I know, I was just waiting for the inevitable people kissing his ass. I hope it doesn't come off as though I was suggesting you were complimenting or ripping.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:05 PM)
Oh I know, I was just waiting for the inevitable people kissing his ass. I hope it doesn't come off as though I was suggesting you were complimenting or ripping.

no worries.

Neyer was the most correct analyst in both 2007 and 2008 when it came to predicting win totals.

http://vegaswatch.net/2007/09/evaluating-a...redictions.html

http://vegaswatch.net/2008/09/evaluating-a...tions-2008.html

http://vegaswatch.net/2008/09/evaluating-a...ons-update.html

No neyer prediction ... but pecota was terrible last season after 3 out of four extremely good seasons in a row.

http://vegaswatch.net/2009/09/evaluating-a...tions-2009.html

****************************************************************************************************

2005-2009

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Neyer's projections actually look somewhat right in terms of wins. PECTOA is an extremely conservative system...

They have been highly accurate prior to last season. But i do expect them to take a continuous hit now that nate silver is not the main man behind the scenes.

evaluatingprojections0509.jpg

QUOTE (SockMe @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
I think we will win the division just because of the pitching.

WIth our staff all we need is a decent offense imo.

Which we kind of don't have, thanks to our rotating DH filled with bad players.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
I like this line: The pitching staff is essentially the same, except they'll have Jake Peavy from the get-go.

That was funny to me as well. So it is different Neyer because they get a CY Young quality pitcher for 35 starts instead of 3. Hmm. That may seem to make a big difference in a team's win total.

I like those predictions.

I'm going to go:

AL Central - Sox (division), Twins, Tigers, Indians, Royals

AL East - Red Sox (division), Yankees (wild card), Rays, Orioles, Blue Jays

AL West - Angels (division), Mariners, Rangers, A's

NL East - Phillies (division), Mets (wildcard), Braves, Marlins, Nationals

NL Central - Cardinals (division), Brewers, Cubs, Reds, Astros, Pirates

NL West - D'Backs (division), Dodgers, Rockies, Giants, Padres

I would definitely slot the Mariners to take the west, with maybe the Rangers in second, A's 3rd and Angels last. The Angels have lost a lot of talent, have terrible D, especially in the outfield, and jeez that rotation is just a bunch of #4s.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
I would definitely slot the Mariners to take the west, with maybe the Rangers in second, A's 3rd and Angels last. The Angels have lost a lot of talent, have terrible D, especially in the outfield, and jeez that rotation is just a bunch of #4s.

Their defense isn't that bad. I think the Angels have a legit shot at 85 wins. Mariners should take the division though with the Rangers second.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
Their defense isn't that bad. I think the Angels have a legit shot at 85 wins. Mariners should take the division though with the Rangers second.

The west is slated to be an exciting division for the next few years. Rangers and As have a lot of talent about to come up, and the Ms are built quite well.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 01:36 AM)

My uber-long-shot prediction of the year is that the Rangers find themselves unexpectedly in contention for the West in July. They realize the thing holding them back is pitching, and they are all always ready to spend money if they have the chance to win (see: Alex Rodriguez, Alfonso Soriano, Kenny Rodgers, Ivan Rodriguez, Chan Ho Park). Combine this with JJ Putz positioning himself as the consistent pitcher we need, we shop Jenks or Liney to the Rangers so they can contend for the West. I know it's a stretch of a prediction, but I just think with the parity in the West that any team has a chance at it, and given the new ownership in Texas they might be willing to fill the necessary gaps by spending the money for the fans and the franchise.

Edited by The Baconator

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
bad as the mariners O is I think they get the weird year this year and take the west.

I also have the Mariners winning the west. I think they really improved their offense with Bradley, Figgins, and Kotchman.

And also have the best 1-2 punch in baseball with Felix Hernandez and Cliff Lee.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 02:35 AM)
And also have the best 1-2 punch in baseball with Felix Hernandez and Cliff Lee.

The issue being that the back of their rotation is awful. Having Ian Snell and Yusmeiro Petit as your 3 and potential 5 may have seemed awesome 5 years ago, but it's certainly isn't now.