Buehrle or Peavy on Opening Day?

BlizzardOfOzzie

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
Peavy, I think Buehrle benefits from starting 4th in the rotation. It also says a lot when a pitcher of Mark's caliber is only a 4 in your rotation.

What does starting fourth in the rotation mean other than not pitching until the 4th game of the season?

Ranking pitchers 1 through 5 in a rotation if you are not skipping starts which the Sox do not plan on doing means absolutly nothing.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
What does starting fourth in the rotation mean other than not pitching until the 4th game of the season?

Ranking pitchers 1 through 5 in a rotation if you are not skipping starts which the Sox do not plan on doing means absolutly nothing.

I think the idea is to reduce his innings some this season so Buehrle doesnt fade the 2nd half. I really dont care if Freddy Garcia is our opening day pitcher Im just ready to see some whitesox baseball!

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)

A couple things always amaze me.

1) We had one good defensive player out there, and it was Mark.

2) They we're all so calm in appearance (though freaking out in their heads most likely) during the game.

3) Fields didn't drop the ball and Alexei didn't over throw it. The cynic in me expected that to happen at the time and I nearly had a heart attack.

Its a pretty small issue really, who goes 1 versus 2. But the closer to the top you are, the more likely you are to get more starts in on the season. Therefore, it only makes sense to go with Peavy, both for getting him potentially an extra start, and also potentially for MB to have one less.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
Its a pretty small issue really, who goes 1 versus 2. But the closer to the top you are, the more likely you are to get more starts in on the season. Therefore, it only makes sense to go with Peavy, both for getting him potentially an extra start, and also potentially for MB to have one less.

If the Sox went with a straight 5-man rotation with no one getting skipped, and assuming Buehrle and Peavy are 1 and 2, both would make 33 starts, while Danks, Floyd, and Garcia would get 32, and thus really doesn't mean as much. What I do think you'll see happen this year is Buehrle (and others too) occasionally getting skipped and having Garcia or Hudson starting in their place.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
If the Sox went with a straight 5-man rotation with no one getting skipped, and assuming Buehrle and Peavy are 1 and 2, both would make 33 starts, while Danks, Floyd, and Garcia would get 32, and thus really doesn't mean as much. What I do think you'll see happen this year is Buehrle (and others too) occasionally getting skipped and having Garcia or Hudson starting in their place.

Not to mention you can re-shuffle the rotation at the all star break. This is a no brainer, it's Buehrle.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)

I would also skip Garcia in May that week they have off days on Monday and Thursday. If you skip him there, the first half would end on #4. Then you make Freddy #5 after the break, and the season ends on #4 too. If you do that, 1-4 get 33 starts, and 5 (Freddy) gets 30 starts. Of course they'll get rained out once in a while so this will be a moot point.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
I love JFP as much if not more than the next guy (hell, I MADE JFP), but this is Mark's staff, Jake has said as much. He's the face of the franchise, and he's as capable as any of our starters of locking it down.

I just got the image of you standing over Poreda, Richard, Russel, and Carter and going "WE CAN ACQUIRE HIM. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY"

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
You have to go with Buehrle and not even think about it.

Let Peavy have a year with the team and see him perform as a #1 and then we can discuss this again next winter.

Yes.

(By the way, to the board admins- Can I please get the "hafta" off my profile thing at the left? It's been over a year and I've said nothing, but it's been like a small pebble in my shoe the whole time. I thought maybe there'd be some time or number of posts required, but it seems not. Thanks!)

I can't read the whole thing but this is on ESPN right now from Olney.

A couple of weeks ago, Chicago White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper mentioned to Jake Peavy that he was in the process of mapping out the starting rotation, and picking the starter for Opening Day. Not long after, Peavy phoned Cooper and told him that as far as Peavy was concerned, somebody else should have that honor.

Out of respect for the White Sox, for Mark Buehrle, for the other pitchers on the staff, Peavy asked that his name being taken out of consideration.