2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Andruw Jones was sporting an OPS of almost .900 through July last year. And then he had the injury problems (not sure exactly when they took place. I'm sure Kalapse can tell us). And the guys over at fangraphs have obviously chosen to ignore who our manager is. If they wanted a guy like Cust, they would've signed Thome.

His first report of an injury was on about April 22nd of last year.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
His first report of an injury was on about April 22nd of last year.

That was just a bruised knee, it bugged him for a few days but didn't seem to hinder his play at all.

The strained hammy happened on August 7th. At the time he was hitting .232/.342/.532/.874 with 17 HR in 260 PA. From there on out he got only 71 PA and hit .148/.254/.197/.450 with 0 HR.

10 games prior to the injury: .257/.366/.600/.966

10 games after the injury: .121/.237/.152/.388

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
everything in baseball is overrated when it doesnt agree with your opinion.

Yes, because that's exactly what i meant. I couldn't possibly be pointing out that a player can strike out a lot and still maintain some value by contributing in other facets of the game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
Brandon Wood looks absolutely horrible. It's now or never for him this year. Seems like he's been a prospect since I was in HS.

He's the best AAAA player ever.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
Brandon Wood looks absolutely horrible. It's now or never for him this year. Seems like he's been a prospect since I was in HS.

I was never a fan of his even as a prospect. He has unreal power.. but K's so much he'd make Jordan Danks (far as prospects) wanna blush. Still stunning to me he's only 24 (like you said.. he's been a top prospect since I was 18-19 years old posting here) so he still has time but he really has to cut down on his K's which I don't see happening with his swing.

On another note.. Sox and Tigers tied for first already. Someone start the magic number countdown. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
Hochevar was throwing gas last night. Got it up to 98.

Yeah, he was rather impressive. His FB was consistently at 95 MPH. That's up over 3 MPH from his average FB velocity last year. Not sure if he just had extra juice because it was his first start. I noticed he induced a s***load of groundballs. Last thing we need is for Hochevar to break out and team with ZG to form a nasty 1-2 for KC.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Yeah, he was rather impressive. His FB was consistently at 95 MPH. That's up over 3 MPH from his average FB velocity last year. Not sure if he just had extra juice because it was his first start. I noticed he induced a s***load of groundballs. Last thing we need is for Hochevar to break out and team with ZG to form a nasty 1-2 for KC.

I wouldn't say it's the last thing we need. Hochevar turning into a great starting pitcher (extremely unlikely to begin with anyways) isn't going to push the Royals into contention.

The last thing the Sox would need would be for Quentin or Beckham to get hurt (knock on wood), for any of the Twins starters jumping to an elite level this year, or the Tigers to somehow be a great team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
I wouldn't say it's the last thing we need. Hochevar turning into a great starting pitcher (extremely unlikely to begin with anyways) isn't going to push the Royals into contention.

The last thing the Sox would need would be for Quentin or Beckham to get hurt (knock on wood), for any of the Twins starters jumping to an elite level this year, or the Tigers to somehow be a great team.

Shut up. And I hate you.

I get your point. I guess I phrased that wrong. Obviously, the Royals aren't our main competition. But Hochevar was the #1 pick just a few years ago for a reason. If that FB velocity is legit, there definitely could be something there. I guess I have a thing for high first round draft picks that, while talented, have yet to fully put it together (I guess this started for me when we acquired Gavin Floyd).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
Shut up. And I hate you.

I get your point. I guess I phrased that wrong. Obviously, the Royals aren't our main competition. But Hochevar was the #1 pick just a few years ago for a reason. If that FB velocity is legit, there definitely could be something there. I guess I have a thing for high first round draft picks that, while talented, have yet to fully put it together (I guess this started for me when we acquired Gavin Floyd).

I think it has intrigued Williams in the past too, and I'm not even talking about just pitchers here. There has to be some reason he acquired Jason Grilli, Ben Davis, and Darin Erstad, and it wasn't their stunning appearances.

(it would not be good for the Sox if Hochevar turned into a stud starting pitcher, but the tools are there. He's only had 1 full season in the minors, and it wasn't impressive, but his career minor league totals are solid but not stunning - 3.63 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 8.3 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, 1.1 HR/9 in 255 innings)

---

In other news, Thome hit a home run for his 3rd AL Central team tonight. :(

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
Tigers off to the hot start now too, 3-1 on the year after beating the Indians at home.

If Dontrelle Willis is actually going to be a serviceable pitcher again, that team looks a lot more dangerous.

Apparently the Indians pitching staff isn't so dominating after all.