2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I didnt follow it too closely, but why did the White Sox get rid of Jim Thome? It probably had something to do with age/bad back, but Im glad he's on the Twins now (not trying to sound like Im rubbing it in or anything)

.263 /.391 /.596 /.988 slash line. 5 HR 15 RBI in 59 PA

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 5, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
I guess I didnt follow it too closely, but why did the White Sox get rid of Jim Thome? It probably had something to do with age/bad back, but Im glad he's on the Twins now (not trying to sound like Im rubbing it in or anything)

According to Ozzie, everyone on the roster has to be able to play the field, there is no room for a DH only player.

When you have a beast like Mark Kostay on your roster why would you want someone with those pathetic stats?

If you took O-Dog and Thome away and added them to the White Sox....Thome and Andruw Jones splitting time, with Jones obviously playing in the OF from time to time

Beckham staying at 3B, Ramirez at SS and O-Dog at 2B...with no Juan Pierre (Hudson leading off), no Teahen, no Kotsay, then maybe the teams aren't separated by 7 games, we're only 2-3 GB, like the Tigers, or perhaps even, but with how bad we've played overall, it's hard to argue that the rest of the ballclub would be even but there's still a legit argument to be made

Edited by caulfield12

Twins on top 5-2 in the 4th. They will be 10 games over .500 with a win. But Gordon Beckham think it's a good thing the Sox are only 6 games out...now 7, and probably 7.5.

This season will be over in a couple weeks, unless the Sox get red hot right now.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
Twins on top 5-2 in the 4th. They will be 10 games over .500 with a win. But Gordon Beckham think it's a good thing the Sox are only 6 games out...now 7, and probably 7.5.

This season will be over in a couple weeks, unless the Sox get red hot right now.

On May 20th, 2005, the Indians were a season low 6 games under .500, 17-23, and 12 games back.

On May 27th 2005, the Astros were 16-31, 15 games under and 15 games out.

A couple examples of teams overcoming a deficit doesn't mean much now. What's happening now, pretty much means the Twins are a good team and the Sox are a bad team. Like I said, they need to get red hot right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
On May 20th, 2005, the Indians were a season low 6 games under .500, 17-23, and 12 games back.

On May 27th 2005, the Astros were 16-31, 15 games under and 15 games out.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
A couple examples of teams overcoming a deficit doesn't mean much now. What's happening now, pretty much means the Twins are a good team and the Sox are a bad team. Like I said, they need to get red hot right now.

I'll grant you that, they definitely need to turn it around. Just not hopeless yet.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 5, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)

Not to mention those teams were just seriously underachieving, but had very good offenses, just the pitching finally came around. I know our pitching will come around, just don't know about our offense. (we don't have a Biggio/Sizemore type lead-off man nor a great DH even with Jones' hot start, though he plays about 4 times a week, etc..)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
I'll grant you that, they definitely need to turn it around. Just not hopeless yet.

IIRC the Yankees made up a 6 or 7 game deficit in about a two week plus stretch against the Red Sox in the late 70's.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
And have 5 months to do so. I mean, I'm not excited about how this current team is structured, but there's still a lot of time.

But we're struggling against the crappier teams in our division. 1-5 vs Cleveland and so far a split with a terrible KC team.

Nobody is denying that some deficits have been overcome in the history of baseball. For the most part, getting buried in the first 30 games of the season just means you're a bad team. If the Sox are going to rebound, now is the time...May and June. They have a very tough schedule in the second half. The Sox have 61 games until the Break. They either have to go 39-22, or the season is probably over, because there is no way they'll be more than 10 games over in the second half.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Nobody is denying that some deficits have been overcome in the history of baseball. For the most part, getting buried in the first 30 games of the season just means you're a bad team. If the Sox are going to rebound, now is the time...May and June. They have a very tough schedule in the second half. The Sox have 61 games until the Break. They either have to go 39-22, or the season is probably over, because there is no way they'll be more than 10 games over in the second half.

Especially with their annual September swoon.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Especially with their annual September swoon.

September October records for the Sox the last few years:

2009: 15-15

2008: 12-15

2007: 15-12

2006: 12-16

2005: 19-12

2004: 19-13