2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
September October records for the Sox the last few years:

2009: 15-15

2008: 12-15

2007: 15-12

2006: 12-16

2005: 19-12

2004: 19-13

So a combined 4 games under .500 in the last 4 years combined.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox were 9 or 11 games under .500 at the end of May, and the Twins were 16 games over .500. That would put the Sox around 12-13 games back on June 1. That would seal it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
It's crazy to think what the situation could be after next weekend.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Once again the Twins will be good enough to win the AL Central and do nothing in the playoffs. I don't see them near the level of NYY or TB at all.

If Liriano keeps this up they can hang with any of them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
Once again the Twins will be good enough to win the AL Central and do nothing in the playoffs. I don't see them near the level of NYY or TB at all.

This year is different. Most years they get off to mediocre (or bad) starts and do well enough to beat some other bad teams. This year they might win 100 games

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
In the playoffs, rotation depth matters less.

True. But they never won anything with a prime Santana. The Yankees and Rays would just counter with CC and Garza in game 1. Really no advantage for the Twins. But there would be a big disadvantage for them in their non-Liriano starts. The Twins don't lose in the first round every year by accident. They're just not really built for them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
True. But they never won anything with a prime Santana. The Yankees and Rays would just counter with CC and Garza in game 1. Really no advantage for the Twins. But there would be a big disadvantage for them in their non-Liriano starts. The Twins don't lose in the first round every year by accident. They're just not really built for them.

Even you have to admit their team is structured in a completely different manner this year. This isn't the piranha team of the past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
If Liriano keeps this up they can hang with any of them.

I will agree with that. Baker, Slowey, & Blackburn are all solid pitchers, but seem more like #3 guys to me. Its hard to win playoff series with guys like that. However, if Liriano does keep being the ace he was a few years ago, then that definitely makes them a much better postseason team.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Even you have to admit their team is structured in a completely different manner this year. This isn't the piranha team of the past.

Offensively? You're right. They've got more firepower. But pitching dominates October. And I don't care what Rauch is doing right now. I would be scared out of my mind as a Twins fan if Rauch is called upon to protect a 1-run lead against offensive juggernauts like the Yankees and Rays.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
Offensively? You're right. They've got more firepower. But pitching dominates October. And I don't care what Rauch is doing right now. I would be scared out of my mind as a Twins fan if Rauch is called upon to protect a 1-run lead against offensive juggernauts like the Yankees and Rays.

And you believe in Rafael Soriano more?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)

I'm scared s***less the minute Jenksy goes into a close game. I can relate.

I'm still convinced they pick up a closer by the deadline personally. Rauch would make an excellent set-up man though, unless he does have a Nathan-like year which I don't see happening. You know it's still early when a guy like Billy Wagner (who is retiring after this season) might be available if the deadline started tonight, rather than Heath Bell for the Twins.

Soriano's stuff is way down this year, he's doing it with smoke and mirrors.

Those 2002-2004 Twins teams started AJ, Mientkiewicz, Rivas, Guzman, Koskie, Stewart, Hunter and Jacque Jones, for the most part.

There's no comparison with the offensive firepower (sure, they had a Gold Glover at every infield position...better overall speed) but this Twins' team just has a different feel. I'll reserve judgement for later whether they will be (or are) better than the 2006 Twins, probably the most talented of their division title teams up until this moment.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Soriano's stuff is way down this year, he's doing it with smoke and mirrors.

Those 2002-2004 Twins teams started AJ, Mientkiewicz, Rivas, Guzman, Koskie, Stewart, Hunter and Jacque Jones, for the most part.

There's no comparison with the offensive firepower (sure, they had a Gold Glover at every infield position...better overall speed) but this Twins' team just has a different feel. I'll reserve judgement for later whether they will be (or are) better than the 2006 Twins, probably the most talented of their division title teams up until this moment.

This is the first time I've EVER seen the words "smoke and mirrors" used to describe Rafael Soriano. You either decided just to make something up or you've never seen the guy pitch. I have seen/heard the words "filthy," "nasty," and "electric" used to describe Soriano. His velocity is right on line with his norm this year. Soriano >> Rauch. And you would be saying the same thing if Soriano were a Twin.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)

I agree with this and more importantly for the Twins is they just don't have anywhere near the starting pitching of the Yanks or Rays. Except for maybe Liriano (but lets see if he stays healthy and holds up over the course of the year) they have a bunch of average starters. But against the Yanks you have to face Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte and Phil Hughes is looking awesome so far this year. And the Rays entire rotation is filled with guys who are big time talents and can dominate you on any night. Granted I would expect at least one or two of those guys to fall off but they still are more impressive than Baker, Slowey, Blackburn and Pavano.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 5, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
I agree with this and more importantly for the Twins is they just don't have anywhere near the starting pitching of the Yanks or Rays. Except for maybe Liriano (but lets see if he stays healthy and holds up over the course of the year) they have a bunch of average starters. But against the Yanks you have to face Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte and Phil Hughes is looking awesome so far this year. And the Rays entire rotation is filled with guys who are big time talents and can dominate you on any night. Granted I would expect at least one or two of those guys to fall off but they still are more impressive than Baker, Slowey, Blackburn and Pavano.

Yeah but they're getting it done on a daily basis so far. Not too many people were overly impressed with the rotation of Buehrle, Garland, Conteras, and Garcia heading into the 2005 season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
This is the first time I've EVER seen the words "smoke and mirrors" used to describe Rafael Soriano. You either decided just to make something up or you've never seen the guy pitch. I have seen/heard the words "filthy," "nasty," and "electric" used to describe Soriano. His velocity is right on line with his norm this year. Soriano >> Rauch. And you would be saying the same thing if Soriano were a Twin.

The two games I followed on-line, most of his fastballs were 90-92. Maybe they were two seam sinkers, not sure what was up, but before all of his injuries, when he first came up with Seattle, he was at 94-98 consistently.

I never have once said anywhere at SoxTalk that Rauch was even a "good" closer. Where did that come from?

Yes, Soriano, if healthy, is much better than Rauch. The question has always been about his durability.

I've also seen those three adjectives used to describe Jon Adkins, Arnie Munoz's curveball, Gio's curveball, Felix Diaz, Lorenzo Barcelo, Nick Masset, Sisco, etc.

Edited by caulfield12