2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
It'd be worth a shot at the mimimum for sure.

Of course, if I were him I'd go to the NL and try to regain my form as a starter in the "Carlos Silva" league, but if he can't convince someone like the Cardinals to give him a shot, I'd be willing to try him out in the pen.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 29, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
Dontrelle Willis...gone. from twitter

I think the Tigers are crazy for trying to turn Scherzer into a starter. He's got fantastic stuff, but he has had more shoulder injuries than you would like to see and his fastball loses a ton of velocity as the innings build up for him.

However, he could be a dominate relief pitcher and give him the best chance to stay healthy. His herky jerky motion will be tough to pick up late in games, and his fastball will more likely be in the 95-97 range instead of the 90-92 range. Also, he's got a great change and good slider when he can control it.

Did anybody just see what Max Scherzer did to the A's? OH MY f***ING GOD!!!!! That was worse than child molestation. 14 K's in 5 2/3 IP. His FB was consistently 94-97 (hit 99 once). His change-up was a full 3-4 MPH higher than it had been all season. His slider, the few times he threw it, looked Marmol-esque. From a pure dominance standpoint, that was the best single-game performance I've seen from a pitcher all year.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Did anybody just see what Max Scherzer did to the A's? OH MY f***ING GOD!!!!! That was worse than child molestation. 14 K's in 5 2/3 IP. His FB was consistently 94-97 (hit 99 once). His change-up was a full 3-4 MPH higher than it had been all season. His slider, the few times he threw it, looked Marmol-esque. From a pure dominance standpoint, that was the best single-game performance I've seen from a pitcher all year.

LOL, of course he does that after I mention how I think a bullpen role might be the best role for him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
LOL, of course he does that after I mention how I think a bullpen role might be the best role for him.

I read somewhere a week or so ago that they noticed something in his mechanics that was hindering his overall velocity. Velocity was not a problem today. Whatever they saw, they fixed it and then some. He was spectacular. I implore EVERYONE to catch the highlights at MLB.COM.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Did anybody just see what Max Scherzer did to the A's? OH MY f***ING GOD!!!!! That was worse than child molestation. 14 K's in 5 2/3 IP.

Perhaps that was a poor choice for hyperbole...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 30, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
because he threw 113 pitches..?

Still, you are gonna take him out in the middle of an inning?

I'll excuse the pitch count argument because there are concerns with shoulder fatigue, but why in earth do you take him out in the middle of an inning.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
Still, you are gonna take him out in the middle of an inning?

I'll excuse the pitch count argument because there are concerns with shoulder fatigue, but why in earth do you take him out in the middle of an inning.

He had walked and hit the last two batters he faced. And it was only a 3-0 game at the time. It was the right move. For selfish reasons, I wanted him to stay in there. 20 K's would've been a cinch it not for the high pitch count.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
He had walked and hit the last two batters he faced. And it was only a 3-0 game at the time. It was the right move. For selfish reasons, I wanted him to stay in there. 20 K's would've been a cinch it not for the high pitch count.

I still think you let your starter get out of that situation. See how he handles the pressure situation. Plus, as long as he got the pitch over the plate, they weren't going to hit him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 30, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
Is it just me, or does Scherzer's delivery look a lot like Verlander's?

Verlander:

Scherzer today: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...ame_pk%3D264559

I guess the leg kicks are similar, but then again a lot of pithers have similar leg kicks. Other than that, there isn't much similarity. Verlander is a lot more under control while Scherzer is more herky-jerky and throws from a lower 3/4's. Also, I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me Scherzer might be throwing across his body (which is not good for pitchers who throw hard, see Kerry Wood).

Actually, if anything, Scherzer is a lot more similar to Kerry Wood mechanics wise.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
I guess the leg kicks are similar, but then again a lot of pithers have similar leg kicks. Other than that, there isn't much similarity. Verlander is a lot more under control while Scherzer is more herky-jerky and throws from a lower 3/4's. Also, I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me Scherzer might be throwing across his body (which is not good for pitchers who throw hard, see Kerry Wood).

Actually, if anything, Scherzer is a lot more similar to Kerry Wood mechanics wise.

The leg kicks do look similar. They do have different release points, but when they both go back and wind their arm back, they look strikingly similar.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 30, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
The leg kicks do look similar. They do have different release points, but when they both go back and wind their arm back, they look strikingly similar.

Youtube Kerry Wood, I think the similarities between Wood and Scherzer are a lot more obvious.