2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mauer pinch hit with the bases load tonight. he struck out

Drew Butera then hits a 2 runs single.

The Twins have been horrible with the bases loaded this year. only 8 hits now in about 50 at bats, and getting closer to 60 plate appearances (if you included walks and such)

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 8, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
Mauer pinch hit with the bases load tonight. he struck out

Drew Butera then hits a 2 runs single.

The Twins have been horrible with the bases loaded this year. only 8 hits now in about 50 at bats, and getting closer to 60 plate appearances (if you included walks and such)

So basically you guys suck and are nothing like the magical RISP machine from 2008?

Joking...Baker had a strong performance to pick up Liriano. You just knew the Twins wouldn't lose 3 in a row at home to BALT, and get swept in a DH to boot.

How was the weather up there? Probably about the same as in Chicago. It's never cold when you're winning.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Miguel Cabrera with 32 RBIs on the season.

It's sad to think that on any other team, PK would probably have 40 by now.

Of course, he wouldn't have had Kotsay protecting him in the lineup elsewhere either.....

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 8, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
So when are they going announce that they're skipping Freddy Tuesday? Danks and Buehrle against Mauer/Morneau and company sounds better to me that Freddy going out there Tuesday...

Garcia was great against them last time. That said, I wouldn't expect it to happen twice.

He was leading into the 8th, walked Thome and then Kubel hit a bomb. 2-1 loss...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
So basically you guys suck and are nothing like the magical RISP machine from 2008?

lol

no, the funny thing about the futility with the bases loaded is that the Twins are amongst the top team (batting average wise) when runners are in scoring position...batting something like .275

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 9, 2010 -> 06:24 AM)
lol

no, the funny thing about the futility with the bases loaded is that the Twins are amongst the top team (batting average wise) when runners are in scoring position...batting something like .275

Which do you think was the best Twins' team (since 87/91) and why??

2002-2004, 2006 or 2009?

Do Twins' fans feel that they currently have the Top 3 starters to go out and win a playoff series?

(Liriano/Baker/Blackburn.....with Slowey and Pavano battling for the fourth spot or being skipped)

What would the Twins be willing to give up to acquire Scott Linebrink, Bobby Jenks or JJ Putz?

Would you take Mark Teahen if we just gave him to you for FREE and you had to assume his 3 year contract obligation?

the best team? probably the 1992 team. Puckett, Knublauch, Shane Mack (man, he had a great run when he was with the Twins. 5 years, batted .309 and OPS of +120), Chili Davis. John Smiley was brought in and won a ton of games. Kevin Tapani and Scott Erickson followed and Rick Aguilera closed the door in the 9th. The most memorable game that year was a game against the arch rival Oakland team. Eric Fox took Aggy deep and the Twins never could quite recover after that. I think other people would say the 2002 ALCS team or the 2006 comeback kids team, but the 1992 team had a ton of talent

Now, if you ask me what is my favorite team? it had to be the 2001 team. After the 1992 season the Twins sucked, signing washed up hometown heros like Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor (who actually was very good for the Twins), Terry Stienbach. They dismantled the team trading Knoblauch to the Yanks, Aggy to the Cubs, Tapani to the Dodgers. The 2001 team was the team that brought baseball back from the doldrums with Hunter, Jones, Lawton, Mintkiewicz, AJ, and Radke leading the way. I spent my teenage years going to the Dome with attendance figure of like 7,500 (but really there were about 5,000 there). The team started to win with a cast of character and all of a suddent going to the Dome was cool again. I will never forget that

I think Twins fans think need 1 'Ace' type pitcher to really get over that 'The Yanks are going to beat us in the playoffs' thing they have. I tend to agree

The Twins have an asset in Glen Perkins. He is left handed and has his outs with Management. I think if the Twins make a move, Perkins is the centerpiece

You can keep Teahen. :P

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
the best team? probably the 1992 team. Puckett, Knublauch, Shane Mack (man, he had a great run when he was with the Twins. 5 years, batted .309 and OPS of +120), Chili Davis. John Smiley was brought in and won a ton of games. Kevin Tapani and Scott Erickson followed and Rick Aguilera closed the door in the 9th. The most memorable game that year was a game against the arch rival Oakland team. Eric Fox took Aggy deep and the Twins never could quite recover after that. I think other people would say the 2002 ALCS team or the 2006 comeback kids team, but the 1992 team had a ton of talent

Now, if you ask me what is my favorite team? it had to be the 2001 team. After the 1992 season the Twins sucked, signing washed up hometown heros like Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor (who actually was very good for the Twins), Terry Stienbach. They dismantled the team trading Knoblauch to the Yanks, Aggy to the Cubs, Tapani to the Dodgers. The 2001 team was the team that brought baseball back from the doldrums with Hunter, Jones, Lawton, Mintkiewicz, AJ, and Radke leading the way. I spent my teenage years going to the Dome with attendance figure of like 7,500 (but really there were about 5,000 there). The team started to win with a cast of character and all of a suddent going to the Dome was cool again. I will never forget that

I think Twins fans think need 1 'Ace' type pitcher to really get over that 'The Yanks are going to beat us in the playoffs' thing they have. I tend to agree

The Twins have an asset in Glen Perkins. He is left handed and has his outs with Management. I think if the Twins make a move, Perkins is the centerpiece

You can keep Teahen. :P

Perkins has been getting rocked so far this season. No confidence in Duensing, Swarzak and Manship, etc.?

BTW, Joel Zumaya has found it again. 24 K's and no walk, 102 MPH fastball.

They're about to beat the Yankees and climb to just 3 GB again.

It will be an interesting race...Minnesota has been better as a second half "stalking horse" (2006/2009) than when they have a lead and have to hold it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
It will be an interesting race...Minnesota has been better as a second half "stalking horse" (2006/2009) than when they have a lead and have to hold it.

I don't think it's really fair to compare this team to any other previous Minny team. There's every reason to believe they are this good, now that they have re-built Liriano.

In fact, there's plenty of reason to think they could get better in the 2nd half, as that catcher they brought up behind Mauer looks like an excellent trade chip if they wanted to go after Heath Bell.

On Trey Hillman running Gil Meche's arm into th e ground.

So to recap: Gil Meche, who started complaining of a tired arm after throwing 132 pitches in a complete game last June, and who has been consistently awful since throwing 121 pitches with a dead arm last July, and who wasn’t pitching well so much as pitching lucky on this night, was allowed to throw 128 pitches – the longest outing by any major league pitcher this season – on Saturday night. He was left in to complete the 8th inning, despite a fresh bullpen, and despite the fact that he allowed the first three batters to reach base safely.

Oh, yeah - and as a result, Meche surrenders the game-winning run.

Does anyone remember what happened in that game on July 1st? Because Hillman clearly doesn’t. Meche started the 6th inning that day, in a game tied 2-2, having thrown 99 pitches. He allowed the leadoff hitter to reach base. With two outs, he then allowed a walk, putting men on first and second with two outs. Hillman left him in to pitch – TO JOE MAUER – and Mauer hit the go-ahead single. Meche has never been the same since.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 12, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
I have a question maybe you Chicagoans can answer...why does it seem like there are hardly any games on WGN anymore? The Sox seem to be once every 2 weeks and the Cubs are on maybe twice a week

My guess is $$$.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 12, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
I have a question maybe you Chicagoans can answer...why does it seem like there are hardly any games on WGN anymore? The Sox seem to be once every 2 weeks and the Cubs are on maybe twice a week

CW or whatever network they think they are.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
Yeah, because he's going to keep that RISP batting average up the whole year.

You just argued against yourself.

Yep, I said he's going to hit over .500 the entire year with RISP. The guy is a sensational player though that seems more focused this year than in the past and also is benefitting from the 1-2-3 in front of him overachieving so far. With Mauer playing in that monsterous park, I don't see anyone else putting up big numbers to compete with Cabrera this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
With Mauer playing in that monsterous park, I don't see anyone else putting up big numbers to compete with Cabrera this season.

Miguel Cabrera, currently:

7 HR, 33 RBI, 1.092 OPS.

Justin Morneau:

8 HR, 23 RBi, 1.138 OPS. And it's been cold.

Evan Longoria:

8 HR, 29 RBI, .988 OPS, for a 1st place team, in the AL East, playing 3b, and 5/7 on SB.

Not even bothering to write up Mr. 13 HR or Mr. Cano until they keep it up for a full season, but they're 2 and 4 in the league in OPS currently, with Cabrera at 3.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Miguel Cabrera, currently:

7 HR, 33 RBI, 1.092 OPS.

Justin Morneau:

8 HR, 23 RBi, 1.138 OPS. And it's been cold.

Evan Longoria:

8 HR, 29 RBI, .988 OPS, for a 1st place team, in the AL East, playing 3b, and 5/7 on SB.

Not even bothering to write up Mr. 13 HR or Mr. Cano until they keep it up for a full season, but they're 2 and 4 in the league in OPS currently, with Cabrera at 3.

After I wrote what I did before, I got to thinking that Longoria's the only other true contender I believe for the MVP.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
After I wrote what I did before, I got to thinking that Longoria's the only other true contender I believe for the MVP.

And when the Twins beat out the Tigers for the AL Central, one of the M's will jump over Cabrera as well.

And when the Sox beat out the Twins and Konerko hits his 50th, his name goes in the conversation too.