2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Don't forget the Twins get Neshek back this season. He'll help that bullpen a lot.

If he is able to return to his pre-injury form. Who knows if he has to change his throwing motion or anything like that to avoid the same injury? Or if he never gets his previous velocity back? We both know Tommy John can change a pitcher

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Please, a closer is a lot easier to replace then Joe Maur or Justin Moreneu. Hell, i could even argue that Baker contributes more to the team then Nathan. He's a good-to-great pitcher, but he gives you 5 innings a week if you play your cards right.

THat team has other offense and the like to cover those guys. They have no one in the pen like Nathan.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Please, a closer is a lot easier to replace then Joe Maur or Justin Moreneu. Hell, i could even argue that Baker contributes more to the team then Nathan. He's a good-to-great pitcher, but he gives you 5 innings a week if you play your cards right.

If Baker makes all his starts, thats 34 games he contributes to. A couple of those games either the Twins get shut out or they score 10 runs, so his contribution is neutralized in several of those games. Around 45 times a year Nathan comes in with the game on the line, depending on him getting the last 3 outs in a close game. Not to mention the other games where the score is tied. Baker may pitch over 100 more innings, but it doesnt necessarily mean he contributes more.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
If he is able to return to his pre-injury form. Who knows if he has to change his throwing motion or anything like that to avoid the same injury? Or if he never gets his previous velocity back? We both know Tommy John can change a pitcher

apparently he was nasty and fairly unhittable in pitching BP. We'll see how he holds up in games. I hate it when the sox face that guy.

I am not going to celebrate. However, that's likely the difference between a 92 win Twins team and what, an 87-86 win Twins team?

They're going to have to make a move for a closer.

For once, I'm going to say this deserves its own threadage. I'll give you credit.

This was actually printed in Minny today.

Mauer still has more leverage than Pat Williams on a teeter-totter, but as negotiations have lagged, Mauer's hesitancy to accept a record-setting contract offer from his hometown team has made his signing less than a sure thing and raised this previously unthinkable question:

"Won't the Twins have to trade him if he refuses their best offer?"

A deal between the All-Star catcher and the Twins is still more likely than not, and at any moment Mauer's agent, Ron Shapiro, could call the team and make it happen, prompting a combination press conference/Minnesota Mardi Gras.

But a combination of modern baseball logic and Twins history suggests that if the Twins' decision-makers can't sign Mauer, they will be obligated to trade him.

The Twins and Shapiro have kept the details of their negotiations remarkably quiet, but my sense, after talking with a variety of people, is that the team has offered more than $20 million a year. If Shapiro is intent on pushing Mauer to $25 million or more a year, Mauer might find himself on the Johan Santana Shuttle out of town.

A trade could yield a closer to replace Joe Nathan and would protect the franchise in the future from having one player on their roster consuming 20 to 25 percent of their payroll, a formula that rarely works in baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
I am not going to celebrate. However, that's likely the difference between a 92 win Twins team and what, an 87-86 win Twins team?

I'm not sure a team with 4 #3 starters would win 92 games.

I had them pegged for 87-88 wins with Nathan... and think they're probably an 83-84 win team without him.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm not sure a team with 4 #3 starters would win 92 games.

I had them pegged for 87-88 wins with Nathan... and think they're probably an 83-84 win team without him.

4 #3 starters and one of the top offenses in the league could certainly do that, especially if they have a solid bullpen and defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
4 #3 starters and one of the top offenses in the league could certainly do that, especially if they have a solid bullpen and defense.

The lineup they do have, the bullpen, probably not anymore. And the defense is eh.

This is probably why Branyan took so long to sign.

Manager Manny Acta said LaPorta and Branyan would make their Cactus League debuts Wednesday. LaPorta started at first and played three innings in a 10-5 victory over San Diego, but Branyan is still in dry dock.

"Branyan isn't ready yet," said Acta. "Russell is still in the process of finishing his rehab."

Acta said there was no date set for Branyan to play in a game. The Indians signed Branyan to a one-year, $1.5 million deal in February. The deal includes a mutual option for 2011 worth $5 million or a $500,000 buyout.

Branyan had a career season derailed last year in Seattle because of a herniated disc in his back. He spent September on the disabled list. Questions about his back prevented Branyan from cashing in on his 31-homer, 76-RBI season.

"I think we knew this coming in ... that he was still finishing his rehab," said Acta. "We have a lot of time left in camp. We're going to do the right thing. We've got to take care of this guy."

2 important AL Central vesting options to watch.

Magglio Ordonez, OF, Tigers

This is one that Dave Dombrowski and the Tigers should have been watching Ordonez’s 2009 vesting option – he only made the cut by 61 plate appearances, and if salary was as big an issue as Tigers brass made it sound when Curtis Granderson was traded, 61 plate appearances could’ve been easy to cut from his playing time. Instead, the Tigers will be paying Ordonez $18MM this season.

The same situation could come up once again this season, as 540 plate appearances will guarantee a $15MM salary for Ordonez in 2011. Even if the market rate for wins climbs back to $4MM per win next season, Ordonez’s market value likely won’t approach $15MM, as CHONE projects the 36 year old for only 2 wins. Simply put, age hasn’t been kind to Magglio since his fantastic 8.8 WAR, .438 wOBA 2007, and his defense is approaching liability territory. The Tigers would do well to avoid letting his option vest.

Kerry Wood, RP, Indians

Kerry Wood’s 2 year, $20.5MM contract was considered risky at best by many at the time of its signing. Now that the Indians don’t appear to be contenders, it looks worse, as Wood didn’t have the leads to save last year and may not this year either. Wood has an $11MM option that vests if he finishes 55 games – teams aren’t allowed to use performance-based qualifiers such as saves for options or incentives.

The Indians certainly have incentives to play Wood at the end of the games early in the season, as anything can happen with key injuries to players like Joe Nathan. Mostly, though, the Indians would do well to build up Wood’s trade value, as they could bring in some well needed young arms if Wood shows promise early in the year. As a reliever who will turn 33 this season and is averaging 1 WAR per season over the last three years, it’s unlikely that he will fulfill the value of his option. It will be interesting to see how Wood’s team handles this situation if he is on a contending team, whether that be the Indians or a hypothetical trading partner.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
I'll say that's a steal for one of the best leadoff men in the game., I love Span.

He's still 2 years pre-arbitration, that's why the total value is so low. They just guaranteed him a salary in every one of his arbitration years.