2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 13, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
Scary thing is.. Miggy will improve, and has improved since he got to the AL every year. :o I told you guys he is worth every penny.

I couldn't even imagine his numbers if he played in a hitter's park for 81 games a year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
I couldn't even imagine his numbers if he played in a hitter's park for 81 games a year.

Or what he could do if he actually took care of himself. You look at him, he looks overweight and outta shape. I'm not saying he's Mo Vaughn. But he's certainly not one I'd want to emulate as far as conditioning goes.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
the Yankees must put a sign of them choking the Twins in the clubhouse or something because its just ridiculous how the Twins can win in New York. Grand Slam this and Grand Slam that and heartbreaking loss year after year

Some teams just have another teams numbers. There own-age of you guys reminds me of how the West Coast teams (especially Oakland) used to own us in every way.

Not sure where to stick this and I'm not putting it in the Lebron thread...but that Canadian sports doctor indicted today for providing U.S. athletes with HGH and such had nearly 1/2 of his clients in Cleveland. He also appears to have had a particularly lucrative client in NY. Doesn't mean it's baseball, but most of the treatments happened July-Sept.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
Twins go up to Toronto...Morneau hits two homers...Bullpen logs 4 scoreless...they win 8-3. That's what a good team looks like.

Then the next day they give up four homers and lose 11-2. Thats what a good team looks like.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
Then the next day they give up four homers and lose 11-2. Thats what a good team looks like.

Shaun Marcum has gone at least 6 innings with 3 ER or less in every one of his starts so far except one (and in that one he went 7 innings and gave up 4 ER). Marcum and Romero make up a pretty nasty 1-2 punch.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
Shaun Marcum has gone at least 6 innings with 3 ER or less in every one of his starts so far except one (and in that one he went 7 innings and gave up 4 ER). Marcum and Romero make up a pretty nasty 1-2 punch.

Both are fastball-change guys too.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)

I think the guy that has the potential to be better than those 2 is still on the DL for them, Dustin McGowan. If Vernon Wells is hitting, that team is pretty damn talented.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)

I never thought Romero was that good. He was fun to watch in college at Fullerton, but when he went as high as he did, I was pretty surprised since I didn't know if he had enough umph on his fastball to go with that curve he threw in college. He's really done well though. Toronto front office had a lot of issues (internal debate) over that draft pick IIRC.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
So now the Twins play their only two games at Fenway this season, right after the Red Sox played the Yankees two of the toughest games of the year. And they play the Brewers more than the Red Sox this season...that's fair.

yeah, Im not a big fan of this schedule. After Thursday, the Twins are completely done with the BoSox (unless they meet in the playoffs). Next week, the Yanks come to Target Field and then thats it for games against the Yanks for the year (which might not be a bad thing I guess. lol)

the Blue Jays only appearance at Target Field is the last series of the year

Edited by Benchwarmerjim

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2010 -> 05:19 AM)
I never thought Romero was that good. He was fun to watch in college at Fullerton, but when he went as high as he did, I was pretty surprised since I didn't know if he had enough umph on his fastball to go with that curve he threw in college. He's really done well though. Toronto front office had a lot of issues (internal debate) over that draft pick IIRC.

I know this comparison has been thrown around already, but you can't help but see Johan Santana in Romero. This isn't smoke and mirrors. Romero has got legitimate ace stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
Now Grady Sizemore, that's a guy who's career has hit a rough patch.

Baseball is indeed an odd sport. 2 years ago, the only OF in all of baseball that you could make a legitimate case for being better than Sizemore was Ryan Braun.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
Baseball is indeed an odd sport. 2 years ago, the only OF in all of baseball that you could make a legitimate case for being better than Sizemore was Ryan Braun.

Really? 2 years ago, 2008, Ryan Braun put up the 9th best OPS in baseball among OF's, Sizemore the 13th. Ahead of them were guys like Manny, Bradley, Ludwick" Holliday, Quentin, Josh Hamilton, Markakis. Ethier, Dye, and Hawpe fit in-between them. Braun isn't exactly what I'd call a defensive legend, do you think of him as that? Now, maybe you could say "Yeah, Hamilton and Quentin are just going to get hurt, Manny is old, Ludwick is a fluke" but that's a lot of guys putting up better numbers than either of them by a lot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
Really? 2 years ago, 2008, Ryan Braun put up the 9th best OPS in baseball among OF's, Sizemore the 13th. Ahead of them were guys like Manny, Bradley, Ludwick" Holliday, Quentin, Josh Hamilton, Markakis. Ethier, Dye, and Hawpe fit in-between them. Braun isn't exactly what I'd call a defensive legend, do you think of him as that? Now, maybe you could say "Yeah, Hamilton and Quentin are just going to get hurt, Manny is old, Ludwick is a fluke" but that's a lot of guys putting up better numbers than either of them by a lot.

Well I was factoring in speed/defense as well. Sizemore was a 7.1 WAR player in 2008. That's pretty damn spectacular, and the only OF with a WAR as high as that in '08 was Carlos Beltran. And I'd take '08 Sizemore over all those guys you named (even when they were all producing). Braun has just been a superstar from day one. The only guys on that list at that time that would be comparable are Holliday (coors factor) and Manny.

Hamilton has unlimited talent, almost.

Ethier's a pretty talented player as well, he doesn't run like Barry Bonds with the early 90's Pirates, but he's a pretty nifty player.

TWO WEIRD TWINS NUMBERS

Morneau with only 2 homers (heel problem, Target playing really big)

Only 9 errors committed by the Twins

Red Sox will play the Phillies more this season than the Twins...how does that make any sense?

Well, with how Boston has been playing, maybe we don't want MIN to play them so much.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
Hamilton has unlimited talent, almost.

Ethier's a pretty talented player as well, he doesn't run like Barry Bonds with the early 90's Pirates, but he's a pretty nifty player.

TWO WEIRD TWINS NUMBERS

Morneau with only 2 homers (heel problem, Target playing really big)

Only 9 errors committed by the Twins

Red Sox will play the Phillies more this season than the Twins...how does that make any sense?

Well, with how Boston has been playing, maybe we don't want MIN to play them so much.

LOL, same thing in two threads, caught you this time