2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
Gardenhire plans to try the infamous "Closer by committee" to start the year.

Predicted headline in 2011: "After closer-by-committee proved wildly successful in Minnesota, 3 other AL teams are adopting it this year..."

I wonder which will hold up longer. Their closer by committee or our rotating DH.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
Gardenhire plans to try the infamous "Closer by committee" to start the year.

Predicted headline in 2011: "After closer-by-committee proved wildly successful in Minnesota, 3 other AL teams are adopting it this year..."

Anybody ever hear of a guy named Anthony Slama? He's been in the Twins system for three years. His numbers are filthy. I see he's always been old for his league. But a 13.3 career K/9 should warrant some consideration. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=slama-001ant

I'm sure benchwarmin can tell us more about this guy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Anybody ever hear of a guy named Anthony Slama? He's been in the Twins system for three years. His numbers are filthy. I see he's always been old for his league. But a 13.3 career K/9 should warrant some consideration. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=slama-001ant

makes you wonder why the hell a guy who has produced like that hasn't been given a shot

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
Bobby Seay has a Grade 2 rotator cuff tear (a near Grade 3, which is the worst) He's gonna rehab and strengthen the arm to try and avoid surgery, potentially costing him his career.

Another pitcher essentially gone from the Tigers staff. Seay will never be the same after this surgery.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)

Drafted by Minnesota in 39th round, 2006.

Has come out of nowhere to post incredible numbers over first 2 1-2 seasons of pro ball and serve notice that he's a viable closer candidate for the future.

In first 59 games in minor-league career across rookie league and Class A, the right-hander went 4-1 with 31 saves and a 1.15 ERA. He also allowed only 44 hits and 24 walks in 78 innings with 125 strikeouts.

His fastball hovers around 90-92, he's got a decent slider and excellent changeup.

http://twins.scout.com/a.z?s=292&p=8&a...amp;nid=3766470

Last year was only his first in AAA, so I imagine we'll probably see him at some point this season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
Drafted by Minnesota in 39th round, 2006.

Has come out of nowhere to post incredible numbers over first 2 1-2 seasons of pro ball and serve notice that he's a viable closer candidate for the future.

In first 59 games in minor-league career across rookie league and Class A, the right-hander went 4-1 with 31 saves and a 1.15 ERA. He also allowed only 44 hits and 24 walks in 78 innings with 125 strikeouts.

His fastball hovers around 90-92, he's got a decent slider and excellent changeup.

Theres your next Joe Nathan.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Theres your next Joe Nathan.

The scouting report sounds nothing like Nathan though. Nathan's slider is/was sick nasty.

For comparison's sake...

Jesse Crain - 2.00 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 11.4 K/9, 3 BB/9, 0.2 HR/9 (and 0 HR in his first 111.2 IP) in 180 innings while being younger at each level and with what appears to be better stuff. He's been a relatively mediocre reliever for the Twins.

It's very hard to gauge minor league relievers, and assuming that scouting report is accurate, Slama doesn't sound like anything dynamite.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
The scouting report sounds nothing like Nathan though. Nathan's slider is/was sick nasty.

For comparison's sake...

Jesse Crain - 2.00 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 11.4 K/9, 3 BB/9, 0.2 HR/9 (and 0 HR in his first 111.2 IP) in 180 innings while being younger at each level and with what appears to be better stuff. He's been a relatively mediocre reliever for the Twins.

It's very hard to gauge minor league relievers, and assuming that scouting report is accurate, Slama doesn't sound like anything dynamite.

Obviously I gotta put my sarcasm in green more often. He will probably be another Morillo in terms of good numbers but something not clicking. I was more or less saying that the Twins usually find unknowns and plug them very well. Hell I never thought Lew Ford woulda been as good as he was for one year.

I dont know much about the guy except for that all the sites that cover the Twins minor leagues really want him on the big league team. I guess he has impressed in camp a bit. From what I have read, batters are having a hard time picking up his pitches out of his hand. That may explain the high K rate

Im not a huge fan of the close by committee thing, but if that what Gardy wants, I gotta roll with it.

Two of my friends who are Twins fans were gaining up on me tonight. One of them said he can't wait til next week when he can see future hall of famer Joe Mauer tear up the MLB again. I said something jokingly like if he gets injured and never plays again he won't get into the hall of fame. The first guy said I'll send you hall of fame tickets. I said he could join me at Frank Thomas' induction. The 1st fan said Mauer>Thomas, the second fan said Gardy>Guillin. I simply replied with 2 MVP's > 1 MVP, 1 World Series > No World Series. That shut them up!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
http://twins.scout.com/a.z?s=292&p=8&a...amp;nid=3766470

Last year was only his first in AAA, so I imagine we'll probably see him at some point this season.

His numbers and profile sound a lot like Dan Remenowsky, but a few more years advanced (and 3 years older). High K rate, low walk rate (at similar levels), low ERA and AvgA numbers, signed older (22-ish), not velocity reliant for his K numbers.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Do you think Twins have the best lineup in MLB?

Buster Olney does.

PS: Video.

I'd rank them 4th. I'd rank the Yankees, Phillies and Rays over them. Although their (the Twins) top 6 (or 7 when Kubel is in LF and Thome DHs) is arguably as good as any in the game.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
Do you think Twins have the best lineup in MLB?

Buster Olney does.

PS: Video.

That's just ESPN trying to create some kind of a non-story.

There's no way the Twins have the best lineup in baseball. The Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies all have better lineups.