2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
he is a lot better than the corpses they have dragged out in recent year...Mike Lamb, Tony Batista, Brian Buscher

His swing is pretty slow, or at least it was on Wed when I was at the game.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Hah...somehow he has managed to make it to the big leagues with the dreaded "slow swing" :gosoxretro:

Why don't you wait and see if he can maintain his productivity before being condesending.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
Not sure if actually went without mentioning on here, but Kevin Slowey was pulled from a no-hitter yesterday. Apparently Gardenhire agrees with J4L that no-hitters don't mean s*** anymore.

His arm would have fallen off.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
Not sure if actually went without mentioning on here, but Kevin Slowey was pulled from a no-hitter yesterday. Apparently Gardenhire agrees with J4L that no-hitters don't mean s*** anymore.

He was coming back from a 10 day rest which was necessary because of shoulder stiffness. Probably not a good idea to immediately have him throw 140 + pitches when he was already coming off of a slight injury before.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
He was coming back from a 10 day rest which was necessary because of shoulder stiffness. Probably not a good idea to immediately have him throw 140 + pitches when he was already coming off of a slight injury before.

I'm definitely not arguing with the decision, as I think it's dumb to let a pitcher go above and beyond his normal pitch count no matter the situation. I don't really believe no hitters with walks are all that impressive anyways, and it's pretty damn difficult to throw more than 120 pitches in a perfect game.

There are a few times I would let a pitcher throw more than like 120 pitches and those are pretty much solely in must win games in some manner. If it's the postseason or a late season series against a division rival, and the game is close enough that the pitcher should remain in the game and the pitcher is absolutely cruising, I would. In a game in the middle of August against a team that isn't that good in a series in which you've already won and especially when the pitcher is making his first start in a week and a half due to injury...it makes sense.

Jon Rauch was booed when he took the mound in the 8th, then Gardy came out to get him after he gave up 2 doubles and was booed even louder. After the game Gardy said he would of booed himself if he was in the stands, but since Slowey had an elbow issue that forced him to miss a start, 106 pitches was enough. Slowey had 3 walks and a HBP, a walk and the HBP in the 7th and the last couple of innings you could tell he was running out of fumes.

I love complete games and no hitters, but it was the right move

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
Punto back on the DL.

Punto, Mijares, Morneau, Nathan... you'd have to think the injuries would have to catch up with the Twins at some point. I also find it hard to believe Pavano and Duensing are as good as they've been so far. Yesterday showed us that for Pavano. And Liriano has looked less than stellar lately, same with Capps. I really think the Twins are in for a cold streak - its just a matter of whether or not the Sox can take advantage of that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
Punto, Mijares, Morneau, Nathan... you'd have to think the injuries would have to catch up with the Twins at some point. I also find it hard to believe Pavano and Duensing are as good as they've been so far. Yesterday showed us that for Pavano. And Liriano has looked less than stellar lately, same with Capps. I really think the Twins are in for a cold streak - its just a matter of whether or not the Sox can take advantage of that.

We're on the same page. I think we'll be within a game of 1st by the end of next week.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)

That offense is tough. The pitching, not so much. The big thing is they don't make errors.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
If you were to judge him only by his contract you wouldn't think that. :lolhitting

12/11/08: Signed a 2 year, $8.5M contract plus 2011 club option. 2009: $4M, 2010:$4M, 2011: $5M club option

That reminds me about something stupid Hawk said. Cuddyer was up and he kept talking about how good he is and versatile he is since he can play so many positions. He said "I don't know how much money he makes, but I guarantee he is underpaid." Do some homework old man. Cuddyer is making $9.5 million in 2010 and $10.5 mil in 2011. He is a solid player but you sure as hell are not gonna pay him more than that at age 31.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
Punto's not bad at baseball, he's bad at hitting a baseball. His defensive value is pretty high.

And his defense translates to 3B, SS, and 2B too, which is a huge added bonus. Add in the occasional decent average and a good ability to get on base, and there are many players out there who are worse than Nick Punto.