2010 AL Central Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
Exactly.

I can't believe the Twins blew that 9.5 game lead early and yet are firmly in command again.

Though I've believed the Twins are the better team (all year), I do think a couple of points are important about the Twins lack of invincibility, guys:

(1) The Twins DID blow that 9.5 game lead. They're good, but they're not a super-team, by any stretch.

(2) With all the lamenting about the Twins always playing the right way in the second half, let's not forget how they absolutely CHOKED during the last weekend in 2008. After we played our usual lousy series in the Metrodome, handing them the division, they gave it right back against THE ROYALS, then couldn't score a run against John Danks, who hasn't pitched well against them ever again, in Game 163. (And that happened because our 38-year old centerfielder threw a guy out at home.)

Just some things to remember when we're slobbering all over these f***ers.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Though I've believed the Twins are the better team (all year), I do think a couple of points are important about the Twins lack of invincibility, guys:

(1) The Twins DID blow that 9.5 game lead. They're good, but they're not a super-team, by any stretch.

(2) With all the lamenting about the Twins always playing the right way in the second half, let's not forget how they absolutely CHOKED during the last weekend in 2008. After we played our usual lousy series in the Metrodome, handing them the division, they gave it right back against THE ROYALS, then couldn't score a run against John Danks, who hasn't pitched well against them ever again, in Game 163. (And that happened because our 38-year old centerfielder threw a guy out at home.)

Just some things to remember when we're slobbering all over these f***ers.

Plus we added some attitude in our lineup that is not afraid of any team out there....and he's playing for a contract. We WILL sweep them.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Twins are 31-14 since the ASB. I believe this will be the 4th time in 8 years the Twins are at least 10 games over .500 during the 2nd half under Gardenhire.

I would be really interested to see their 1st/2nd half strength of schedule splits over those seasons. (I searched a couple places but haven't been able to find them). Maybe they have just had much easier 2nd half schedules in those 4 years. They always seem to do a much better job of beating bad teams than the Sox do. In 05, 07, & 08, they played much worse in the 2nd half, so its not like they are a 2nd half team every season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
It just seems so unlikely the Twins can keep this up for another 4.5 weeks. They are playing ridiculously well wins-wise, but their team just looks like they are playing over their heads and getting just the right stuff at just the right moment. Screams unsustainable to me.

But the Twins dont have to keep up their current pace for the next 29 games. Minnesota could play just .500 ball the rest of the way and that would force the Sox to play .666 ball to tie the Twins.

After this weekend vs. the Rangers, the Twins schedule is a joke.

vsDet 1game

vs Tex 3games

vs KC 3

@Cle 3

@CHW 3

vs Oak 3

vs Cle 3

@Det 3

@KC 3

vs Tor 4

F**k those c****cking Twins...how's that for deep analysis?

Seriously though, I believe we have a good shot at catching them IF we sweep them in Chicago, I'm not buying the Twins as worldbeaters business.

If the Twins do hold on though, they'll s*** the bed in the playoffs like they always do, especially if the face the Yanks.