Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 06:08 AM)
he's just young and stupid. i had to go through a painful breakup where I did everything in the books that you're not supposed to do, to realize how ridiculous doing all that is. romantic gestures? don't work. they just piss the ex off even more. WHY? because you're not respecting what they want and it's completely selfish.

the only way to get someone back? Go No Contact, work on yourself, and move on. if they come back, then great.

fortunately, if he waits till February that's great, because by then he won't care anymore. :)

(yes I'm working on taking this advice myself, but it really is the ONLY way to handle a breakup)

I tend to agree with your position on this matter.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 12:52 AM)
What's the reasonable Christmas gift dollar amount for a girl that you've been with for 4 months?

Depends on how much money you make, my friend...and what you guys normally do for dates and dinners and what not...

I am in the same boat as you, except I have the double whammy...her bday is Christmas Eve...yikes.

We both make decent money, but I have no clue what she is planning on spending on me. I am thinking maybe two gifts (because one gift for both would be cruel :), a couple hundred bucks each.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 01:30 AM)
Is it a bad thing if she wants to limit the amount and you go over?

It would depend on how much you went over by... I wouldn't get all crazy spending big cash right away. It sets a bad precedence. She will get to thinking you will always spend like that on her.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)
It would depend on how much you went over by... I wouldn't get all crazy spending big cash right away. It sets a bad precedence. She will get to thinking you will always spend like that on her.

It's not a crazy amount, but it is definitely over the "limit."

It's not a crazy amount, but it is definitely over the "limit."

If she set a limit, you should spend about 10% over the limit. It's enough to show that you will go above and beyond for her, but not so much as to make her feel that you don't respect the limits that she sets.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:37 PM)
Update on my 26 year old friend (single no kids), the one dumped by a 23 year old woman who left him for a 33-year-old guy at her workplace with 3 kids (one as old as 10).

I didn't know he was this f***ed up, but he's decided to make a play for her in February. He's going to wait until then, and at that time either take part in some big production where he dramatically asks for her back or something more simple where the intent is the same: to ask her to leave the guy and return to him.

I told him that seems kind of stupid and she'll likely reject him and get the 'last laugh.' His response was, ''I have to try, for closure. I have to see if she wants me back. She may want me back but thinks I've moved on.''

Most of his friends have advised him to forget her, but he said as of today he's intent on doing this.

I did ask him, "If she's capable of doing this now, what if you get married and have 2 kids and she dumps you then?" He said, "I'd take that risk."

Love is blind? Or ???

Is your friend relaying information to you from a TV show he's working on?

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 12:52 AM)
What's the reasonable Christmas gift dollar amount for a girl that you've been with for 4 months?

Whatever you're comfortable with. Last Christmas was the first with my current GF and we had been together 3-4 months. I bought her a necklace that was around $150 and then a few small things I know she wanted (lotion, slippers, candy etc..). I also got us two tickets to Wicked on broadway in NYC (so that was about $250) but it was something for both of us. There's no right or wrong amount, it depends on you, her, your financial situations and what each of you would be comfortable with.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
If she set a limit, you should spend about 10% over the limit. It's enough to show that you will go above and beyond for her, but not so much as to make her feel that you don't respect the limits that she sets.

Good advice.

Let's just call it like it is...if you go too far over the limit and make her gift look like crap in comparison, it'll make her feel cheap. You don't want that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
I have revised my suggestion

tumblr_m86y3bGalF1r9a32bo1_500.jpg

Hiring Justin Timberlake and Andy Sandberg to perform a stirring rendition of "Dick in a Box" would probably go signifigantly over the spending limit. :P

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Though just emailing her the link would stay under it.

Try that out...send your girl a YouTube link of a years old video for her Christmas present...let me know how that works out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 01:30 AM)
Is it a bad thing if she wants to limit the amount and you go over?

This was going to be my suggestion, just talk to each other and come up with a limit or ballpark. It could be weird but you'd rather do that then have someone show up with a $25 gift and someone show up with a $150 gift because it wasn't discussed beforehand.

You can't go over by much if at all, or it's just terribly awkward for her, and she could actually get upset. You're not being a nicer guy by doing so.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
This was going to be my suggestion, just talk to each other and come up with a limit or ballpark. It could be weird but you'd rather do that then have someone show up with a $25 gift and someone show up with a $150 gift because it wasn't discussed beforehand.

You can't go over by much if at all, or it's just terribly awkward for her, and she could actually get upset. You're not being a nicer guy by doing so.

I'll probably talk to her about it ahead of time and gauge response. She said like, $50, but I ended up spending about $100.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)

I think it's all on your gut feeling.

Last year I wasn't dating my girlfriend & she bought me tickets to see Jay-Z & Kanye West, simply because she knew I wanted them. So she easily spent $300 on a guy who wasn't even dating. So I dunno, spend what you think is reasonable.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 01:52 AM)

spent 9 hours together. saw the movie, held hands etc. went to dinner and had a great time, then walked 40 blocks and got dessert/drinks - just altogether a TON of fun. we talked ahead of time and decided to treat it like a first date kind of vibe. at the end of the night she instigated the kissing, didn't want it to be over, walked to her place extra slowly, blah blah blah. she had a great time, I had a great time, everything was great.

until i let myself slip just a tiny bit. unfortunately that tiny bit was probably enough to undo the entire day's worth of fun, great conversation, great chemistry, etc. basically after all that, she said "lets take the day to process all this, and then lets talk tomorrow night" (smart, rational decision) but for some reason i felt like I wanted something more concrete in the moment and I pushed a little too much. nothing like... bad or ridiculous, but i think i highlighted the fact that even though we have fun together and feel strongly about each other, we're still not in the same exact place.

nonetheless after a lot of me waffling and basically showing her that she still does hold the cards, we said goodnight, I said sorry for being weird at the end. she told me not to be sorry and that i put together an amazing date and she had a great time, and she was gonna call me tonight when she gets off work.

what the f*** are you supposed to do when you love someone and they love you back, but they also have life stuff they want to figure out??

My heart wants to be patient, and my brain says that if she can't make a commitment to me, then why the f*** should I wait?

I'm mostly just venting... and thinking... and writing it all down helps me process.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
You've got to just give her some space...all this s*** will work itself out if you allow it to.

Yep. You're right.

Get out of my head and stop worrying about things I've got no power over. :)