Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

So I go to my co-workers big-to-do wedding six months ago. After listening to her wedding talk for months and months of planning. And today she comes in saying they are getting a divorce and he packed his things and left her.

Does anyone work at marriage anymore or is it just so easy and mainstream to just divorce right away?

So I go to my co-workers big-to-do wedding six months ago. After listening to her wedding talk for months and months of planning. And today she comes in saying they are getting a divorce and he packed his things and left her.

Does anyone work at marriage anymore or is it just so easy and mainstream to just divorce right away?

Every generation is more selfish than the last, and selfish just doesn't go well with marriage.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)

Just out of curiosity, do you know how long they were together before they got married? It seems like a lot of people skip some pretty crucial relationship steps before marraige, like learning if they can live with each other, on top of each others personal space. Then when they get hitched people freak out because they cant just go home anymore

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
Oh boy, this is gonna be an awkward phone call...when I decide to bring it up.

I have been in quite a few weddings and have never been in a situation where I didn't pay the bill. The whole thing is cheap for girls, vs. girls, who have to get the dress, hair and make-up, etc.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Just out of curiosity, do you know how long they were together before they got married? It seems like a lot of people skip some pretty crucial relationship steps before marraige, like learning if they can live with each other, on top of each others personal space. Then when they get hitched people freak out because they cant just go home anymore

They were dating for a year and were engaged within 6 months. Which is a short time period to really know someone but me and my wife were that same exact timeline and we are happily married going on almost five years now.

Now what complicates things with them is that she has two teenage kids that live with them and he is like 50 years old with no kids.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)

IMO You have to live with someone at least a year or so before getting married. Having your own space vs. having a shared space is a huge deal. Even if you're "living together" when you each have your own place, you know you still have your own place to go back to and it's not the same.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
IMO You have to live with someone at least a year or so before getting married. Having your own space vs. having a shared space is a huge deal. Even if you're "living together" when you each have your own place, you know you still have your own place to go back to and it's not the same.

But that is living in sin!!!!

This Saturday I'll be proposing to my girlfriend of 2 years and a couple months. Going to be doing it at the winery and I've never been so anxious in my life. This is also the first time I planned something out way in advance as well which is telling because I procrastinate everything lol.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
This Saturday I'll be proposing to my girlfriend of 2 years and a couple months. Going to be doing it at the winery and I've never been so anxious in my life. This is also the first time I planned something out way in advance as well which is telling because I procrastinate everything lol.

Congrats and good luck!

I proposed 3 weeks ago today and I was extremely nervous as well. Take your time when talking to her, I went way too quick and can't even remember what I said because I was so damn nervous for some reason. But surprisingly I kept my cool the whole day and she had no idea it was coming

People who live together before getting married have a higher divorce rate than those who don't.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
I had a "friend" in college who asked me to be in his wedding. His father was a lawyer, his fiancee's father was a doctor, and they were spending about $25K on the wedding (and this was back in 1993). Tux rental was going to be $120. I was a grad student and told him there was no way I could afford that on top of the cost of traveling to the wedding. He found someone else to be in the wedding who could afford the tux.

Yeah with the bachelor party being in New Orleans, travel to the wedding, hotels, etc this wedding is going to cost me around $2K.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)

Awesome!

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
How would there even be stats on that? You don't have to sign up for register if you just move in with someone.

Possibly just a survey? I don't know.

Figures like that are often surrounded by noise from other, more important factors anyway. Intuitively, living together before marriage should absolutely decrease the divorce rate, so there must be something else twisting the numbers. Age, I bet. Young people tend to move in beforehand more, and also get divorced more.

Been dating my girlfriend for 2.5 years, living with one another since September. Won't propose probably until at least one year living together. More so just not in a rush to get married than waiting on some specific time frame.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
I am animal and will eat almost anything. When I get work done on my car I always take my girl and we go to Chilis instead of waiting at the shop. It's right next to my shop and Discount Tire so it works out nicely. For $20 dollars we get chips and guac, an 8 oz sirloin and she gets fajitas with all the fixings. It's incredibly cheap. I'd love to know what their margins are there. I usually throw the server $8-10 on the 23 dollar bill just because it must suck to serve at a place with such cheap options.

I work at a food and brew similar to the Cheesecake Factory and the cooks don't see a penny in tips. Takeout tips go to the hosts/hostesses.

Hey rabbit,... is this the Discount Tire and Chilli's in Homer Glen??? Cause I do that exact same thing.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
LOL, yes sir it is. Good guys over at that Discount Tire.

I live right down the street from there. Its weird because I always feel like I live on a different continent living all the way out there so when I hear someone mention they were in the area my ears perk up and its like "Hey I live there you should have came on over!!!"

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
LOL, small world. I frequent that area when I'm in the suburbs. My gym, liquor store and all things car (gas, tires, shop) are all around that 143rd and Bell intersection.

Very cool.

No cook county taxes make all those things a lil cheaper and its nice and clean out here too. They have actually developed the area with more businesses since we moved out here 2 years ago and its still growing by the day it seems.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
LOL, yes sir it is. Good guys over at that Discount Tire.

LOL! :) Small world!!! I agree, good guys there. :) I used to know a guy that worked there. I allso used to work in the Menards across the street for 8 years from 2005 till 2013. If you ever went there, I might've helped you. :)