Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
Better than wondering all the time and trying to hide your chubby.

Indeed. The one girl I've REALLY liked for the longest time has been dating her current boyfriend since just before we met (bad timing), and odds are high they will be engaged soon. I'm never going to get to tell her how I actually feel because we are really good friends and I don't want to put her in that position. Kinds of sucks, but whatever, I'm over it these days. But it took me a pretty long time to reconcile that fact as it has become more and more clear in the last year or so.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
Probably my first true love got married about a year and a half ago after the two of us dated a few times, including as recently as 2007. She has never seemed ready, or truly committed to her relationship or her husband, at least around me, as she always bugs me about why things did not work out with her and I. She has even called me since being married and told me she thinks she has made a mistake in marrying him.

Gerry, I think you're fairly younger than me, but you're reaching a point where a lot of your exes will start getting married and having children, and then even getting divorced eventually. My advice would be to try and seek a balance between staying true to the person in the way that you have always interacted with them, and giving due respect and space to the new relationship that these people are involved in. It can be tough though if they ask you to cross that line though.

Yeah, its weird. Really weird. I had a similar situation in your top paragraph, in fact the girl went out and got married like a year after I broke up with her to an older rich man. I told her, you made the bed, you sleep in it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
Yeah, its weird. Really weird. I had a similar situation in your top paragraph, in fact the girl went out and got married like a year after I broke up with her to an older rich man. I told her, you made the bed, you sleep in it.

If the dude's rich, I'm sure there's someone else making the bed for them.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
This doesn't count as a "relationship" technically, but I'll post it here anyways. One of my ex girlfriends (I think she was my second longest relationship, my first ever girlfriend in high school though) back in the day just got engaged. I gotta say after I sent my congrats to her, (still good friends) I honestly felt really bummed out (and shocked) hearing about it.

No I don't need any advice on how to handle it, (I'm my own advice.. :D Naw but I'm usually good at handling business and personal stuff through experience, but this is actually new territory for me) but has anyone here had something similar or maybe just a bit different, but the same situation?

When I found out that my kids' dad knocked up the daycare teacher he cheated on me with, it hurt to the core. Then I found out they were getting married and I was pissed ..BUT then I remembered that he was a POS and no good for me anyway and that I could do better! I left him for a reason ..Now she's miserable and I love her to pieces ..After all the horrible things I said about her, how ugly I thought she was, the nasty things I wished upon her ..I honestly feel so bad for her now. I know what she's living with and no woman should ever have to endure what I went/she goes through ..Maybe someday she'll come to her senses ..one can only hope!

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
When I found out that my kids' dad knocked up the daycare teacher he cheated on me with, it hurt to the core. Then I found out they were getting married and I was pissed ..BUT then I remembered that he was a POS and no good for me anyway and that I could do better! I left him for a reason ..Now she's miserable and I love her to pieces ..After all the horrible things I said about her, how ugly I thought she was, the nasty things I wished upon her ..I honestly feel so bad for her now. I know what she's living with and no woman should ever have to endure what I went/she goes through ..Maybe someday she'll come to her senses ..one can only hope!

Ouch. Sometimes I think people just like to be in a position of being hurt all the time. Maybe it's because they think they're not good enough to be treated great, or maybe because it's all they know, or they think they can change the other person eventually. Whatever the reason is it seems like it never ends up working for them.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
Ouch. Sometimes I think people just like to be in a position of being hurt all the time. Maybe it's because they think they're not good enough to be treated great, or maybe because it's all they know, or they think they can change the other person eventually. Whatever the reason is it seems like it never ends up working for them.

Based on a recent experience of mine, I honestly think a lot of girls really think that. Because often times there's just no other explanation.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 07:53 AM)
I am officially married. Awesome wedding in Bar Harbor, Maine.

Dude, this thread is for relationship questions. You're married now...the relationship is over. As for the answer to any question you may have...You're Wrong...She's right.

Seriously though, Congrats man!! Glad your wedding day was a success. Remember you can wear the pants in the household, but she controls the zipper.

Wishing you and yours all the best of health, happiness and prosperity.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
I have a question for those in college: when are you too old for freshman girls? I almost feel bad.....almost.

I don't think you can ever be too "old" for freshman, but there is no way I could be with the stereotypical freshman girl at this point in time.

I would say that if you get called a creepy old dude, you are probably too old. That happened to me...as a sophomore.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
I have a question for those in college: when are you too old for freshman girls? I almost feel bad.....almost.

Dude.. as far as I'm concerned, as soon as they turn 18.. it's fair game. So ya.. if a hot high school senior female, who is 18, came up to me and wanted to do the deed, I wouldn't hesitate. Then again.. I'm going on 24 so it might not look as bad, though one of my girls went out with a guy who was 32 back when we were in high school and she was 18, so I've seen my share of "age ain't nothing but a number" cases.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)

I'm a 22-year-old senior and have found that I don't want to deal with stupid girls who are fresh out of high school. My age range is 19-24, and even 19 and 24 are pushing it. I really like to find someone who is close to my age and maturity. Even if the girl is willing to give it up at 18-19, it's still kind of weird. Especially when the drunken freshman says, "Do it without the condom, it feels better." That's what happened to my one friend.

Then again, I know people date people older and younger when they get out in the real world. I also think college dating is sort of pointless, because everyone moves on after graduation. I'd rather save some money, get my s*** together, get my own place and then look for someone. That makes the most sense...and it gives you time to have fun while you do save. (Who said you couldn't use a hotel when you temporarily are living at home?)

Edited by MuckFinnesota