Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
How do you rate that versus just continuing to date until forced to make a decision?

Just be careful that when you're forced to make that choice that you don't make a rash choice based on the feelings you have in a single moment. That happened to me when dating a girl going into college, was going to break it off and then that last weekend we talked and it kinda spurred into us deciding to do long distance.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
Just be careful that when you're forced to make that choice that you don't make a rash choice based on the feelings you have in a single moment. That happened to me when dating a girl going into college, was going to break it off and then that last weekend we talked and it kinda spurred into us deciding to do long distance.

Yeah, that is a pitfall I am well aware of...

Last night she threw out the option of us both moving into her childhood home that her and her bro own...when she told me where it was I didn't think anything of it...because I don't watch E! or anything...then I mentioned it to a friend and he almost spit out his coffee...dating this girl just gets more fun with every passing day :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
Yeah, that is a pitfall I am well aware of...

Last night she threw out the option of us both moving into her childhood home that her and her bro own...when she told me where it was I didn't think anything of it...because I don't watch E! or anything...then I mentioned it to a friend and he almost spit out his coffee...dating this girl just gets more fun with every passing day :)

I take it is somewhere famous?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
I guess I'd have the same reaction as your initial one, what's so great about it? Big celebrity neighborhood?

Yeah, I guess...the Kardashians, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Jerry O'Connell, Cameron Diaz, and on and on and on...and yet there are only 22,000 people or so there.

Maybe you'd bump into them at the Starbucks :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
Yeah, I guess...the Kardashians, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Jerry O'Connell, Cameron Diaz, and on and on and on...and yet there are only 22,000 people or so there.

Maybe you'd bump into them at the Starbucks :)

It's right on the edge of the Santa Monica mountains (aka the Hollywood hills), which runs East-West away from the L.A. Basin on the Coast. If you go across the mountain range from there, you hit Malibu. The fancy people's houses are usually somewhere up in the hills, which are much more open (and have better views) than the areas down in the valleys.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "calabasas" area encompasses a decent chunk of mountains to include their residences. But running into people in Starbucks is certainly plausible, it definitely happens on the Malibu side of the hills.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 08:13 AM)
I'm so glad I was done dating by the time Facebook and text messaging became so popular. Both just seem to be able to complicate it so much more.

I like the texting...don't have to call and talk about every little thing...but the facebook nonsense...I can't stand it...why do we have to announce to the world every freaking place we go? Why flatter ourselves that others would even care?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
I like the texting...don't have to call and talk about every little thing...but the facebook nonsense...I can't stand it...why do we have to announce to the world every freaking place we go? Why flatter ourselves that others would even care?

The texting is much better once it's a steady relationship. But when it's first starting out, where every action can be mis construed, it would seem like texting could make it that much more difficult. (this coming from a guy who hates talking on the phone)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
The texting is much better once it's a steady relationship. But when it's first starting out, where every action can be mis construed, it would seem like texting could make it that much more difficult. (this coming from a guy who hates talking on the phone)

True.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
Ugh...my girlfriend hasn't asked me to do this yet, but I am dreading it...

I immediately regretted it. Especially when I logged on and there was a humongous picture of her right on my profile with a big blue heart over it.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)
...just ended my (engaged) relationship of 3.5 years. This was my first relationship, so I have no experience with breakup

Someone tell me this gets better...

It can only get better from here on out.

What the heck happened?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
I'd rather not get into details.. just wondering if others have similar experiences and want to know if/how they got through it

Sorry to hear that buddy...You'll get through it...but it's definitely going to suck for a while.

I usually try to dive into a steadying influence when something terrible like this happens...work, or a hobby, or something else that takes an extraordinary amount of time and/or effort.