Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 16, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
The one and only bit of relationship advice I can give: You should probably look for relationship advice somewhere other than a baseball message board. I'm guessing that as a group, we suck at relationships.

i dunno. I think I have common sense in regard to such matters.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
It may be an excuse but its a valid excuse. I've got no family to borrow from, all the family members I know are somewhat poor. All my friends spend their money on weed and house/apartment bills...A fundraiser might be feasible for a sick child, but no ones gonna give me money to start a restaurant.

I don't know about you guys but nothing in my life has ever been given to me. I had a job at 16, and since then the only thing thats been given to me was a roof over my head and when I'm not working, food on my plate.

The only way I'm getting a restaurant is if I work my "mediocre" security guard (I know people who would kill for a 11 dollar an hour job) and save up an do it myself.

It's not as easy as you wanna make it sound, esp for a guy like me.

Sounds like a bunch of winners.

I went to Noodles tonight with former coworker who just broke up with his girlfriend of two years.

He took her to Aruba for to attend a buddy's wedding a few months ago and apparently she thought he would propose there in the romantic setting. It was business as usual so to speak with fun, but no proposal. She told him she would have accepted.

She told him she was offended he recently re-upped his apartment lease for another year without even asking her if she might want to live together. He told her that if she reconsidered and stayed with him she would have a ring within a year. She said the whole scenario offended her and she didn't feel the romance and ended it.

This guy told me he wanted to call his ex's dad and talk to him about the breakup and thank him for being so supportive the last year or so on outings n stuff. I told him it's not a good idea to call the dad. I told him at the very least to wait a few weeks. I actually told him to email the dad but he thinks it's not personal enough. I told him to forget the dad. Dads are totally behind their daughters and won't want to talk behind their backs to a guy the daughter dropped.

Do you think he should call the dad? Should he try to get her back or chalk the two years up to fate. She's 24; he's 28.

My take is it is very rare to date somebody more than 2 years with out a marriage proposal. Unless you find the rare woman who doesn't want to get married you are going to have to buy her a ring or have happen to you what happened to my former coworker.

Edited by greg775

Id suggest that your buddy go after her, not her dad. If she would have married him he needs to put up or shut up. He really needs to decide if he wants to be with her for the rest of his life, or if he just wants her now because he cant have her. Its hard to determine right away.

I lived with a girl for almost 3 years and never proposed. Had I gotten married wed be divorced and Id be paying her money. Im not huge fan of marriage, itd mainly be for the benefits and ease if I did it.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
Sounds like a bunch of winners.

With a name like justBLAZE I'm not sure if this is sarcasm?

I didnt mean literally ALL their money on it but to go with the context of what I said they certainly wouldn't loan me more than like 20 bucks. I'm already smoking these guys herbs for free and I'm gonna ask for money???

They spend about $140 of the $500-550 they make a week.

They're not bad guys, we talked sports, played video games, and smoked a lil ganj. Nothin wrong with that.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:40 AM)
With a name like justBLAZE I'm not sure if this is sarcasm?

I didnt mean literally ALL their money on it but to go with the context of what I said they certainly wouldn't loan me more than like 20 bucks. I'm already smoking these guys herbs for free and I'm gonna ask for money???

They spend about $140 of the $500-550 they make a week.

They're not bad guys, we talked sports, played video games, and smoked a lil ganj. Nothin wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm just kind of giving you s***.

Maybe I will get flamed for this because I realize there are plenty of successful people here who like to smoke but I honestly I was gonna say (and I realize you said you quit) quit smoking that s*** everyday, people that have their life focused on smoking weed usually don't go anywhere in live. I mean yea that s*** was cool in highschool but come on man time to grow up and focus on other things. Just my two cents.

To be honest, once I pass a drug test I may be back. I'm a pot head, lots of people are, including like you said a lot of successful people. I don't do it because it made me look cool in high school or because I wanna follow some crowd, I do it because I enjoy it.

I feel its not even a big issue anymore...legalize it already! stimulate the economy! Ron Paul 2016!

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 02:45 AM)
Nothing wrong with that, I'm just kind of giving you s***.

Maybe I will get flamed for this because I realize there are plenty of successful people here who like to smoke but I honestly I was gonna say (and I realize you said you quit) quit smoking that s*** everyday, people that have their life focused on smoking weed usually don't go anywhere in live. I mean yea that s*** was cool in highschool but come on man time to grow up and focus on other things. Just my two cents.

If thats your focus, doing anything that involves wasting time is toxic. I've been an everyday user for well over 12 years, am successful in my job and personal life (or so I like to think). Of course I am a past 8pm-pre sleep user mostly as I dont believe in pharmaceutical sleeping medication.

saint,

I think you're on the right track. You want to work hard, you've thought a lot about your life, you have a vision of what you want. Go for it. I'd suggest that you know exactly what your priorities are and the order in which they matter to you...and then frequently quiz yourself on why they are what they are and why there are ordered that way. Mix the short term and the long term. Right now you're setting some short term aside (weed) to get the long term stuff in order. Sweet. You will probably have plenty of time for short term pleasures once you get a new job or whatever else you want to do. I certainly wouldn't say that you should slave away and abstain yourself from all of life's pleasures just for such and so thing unless it REALLY meant that much to you. I imagine that you can be a pretty happy guy with your gig as a security guard, even if you would also like to own a restaurant. You have to find a balance between going towards that longer term, more risky goal (like owning a business) and not wasting your whole life on it and missing out on all the fun. Only you can make these judgments.

@weed discussion

I had the chance to live with my brother for a while this summer for reasons not particularly important. He loves to smoke weed. He does it almost daily, if not multiple times daily. He makes 100k/year managing a retail store. He usually smokes before work. He usually smokes after work. He is also a rising star in his company. I see him do some dumb s*** because of weed, but it really isn't at tremendous peril to his livelihood. Eating up all his food or not having a six pack anymore or not joining a book club, etc are worthy concessions in his estimation and that's cool with him. Personally, I'd rather occupy my time with other things than weed...but I'm not out-earning him or necessarily contributing better to society. Hell, I blow more money on buying craft beers than he does on weed (not an alcoholic though, sorry).

Anyways, yeah I just think weed is something that can be incorporated into your life if you do it right.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
There are also several successful people on here in alot of different arenas. There is good advice on this board in many different facets of life.

This message board is far and away the best special interest board I frequent for topics that are anything other than the special interest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
There are also several successful people on here in alot of different arenas. There is good advice on this board in many different facets of life.

One area that isn't really covered is female perspective because as far as I know, we have very few that post here.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
saint,

I think you're on the right track. You want to work hard, you've thought a lot about your life, you have a vision of what you want. Go for it. I'd suggest that you know exactly what your priorities are and the order in which they matter to you...and then frequently quiz yourself on why they are what they are and why there are ordered that way. Mix the short term and the long term. Right now you're setting some short term aside (weed) to get the long term stuff in order. Sweet. You will probably have plenty of time for short term pleasures once you get a new job or whatever else you want to do. I certainly wouldn't say that you should slave away and abstain yourself from all of life's pleasures just for such and so thing unless it REALLY meant that much to you. I imagine that you can be a pretty happy guy with your gig as a security guard, even if you would also like to own a restaurant. You have to find a balance between going towards that longer term, more risky goal (like owning a business) and not wasting your whole life on it and missing out on all the fun. Only you can make these judgments.

@weed discussion

I had the chance to live with my brother for a while this summer for reasons not particularly important. He loves to smoke weed. He does it almost daily, if not multiple times daily. He makes 100k/year managing a retail store. He usually smokes before work. He usually smokes after work. He is also a rising star in his company. I see him do some dumb s*** because of weed, but it really isn't at tremendous peril to his livelihood. Eating up all his food or not having a six pack anymore or not joining a book club, etc are worthy concessions in his estimation and that's cool with him. Personally, I'd rather occupy my time with other things than weed...but I'm not out-earning him or necessarily contributing better to society. Hell, I blow more money on buying craft beers than he does on weed (not an alcoholic though, sorry).

Anyways, yeah I just think weed is something that can be incorporated into your life if you do it right.

This message board is far and away the best special interest board I frequent for topics that are anything other than the special interest.

Well said Jake, you've always been my favorite poster. (mostly for your use of THIS IS REAL)

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
optimists unite :wub:

Together we can rid the world of negativity!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
i mean... sort of. lol

your post was promoting cautious, tempered, tip-toeing optimism.

i'm not sure that works for most people in the long run.

I think the optimists unite post stems from our overall optimistic posts throughout the board.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 06:06 AM)
Id suggest that your buddy go after her, not her dad. If she would have married him he needs to put up or shut up. He really needs to decide if he wants to be with her for the rest of his life, or if he just wants her now because he cant have her. Its hard to determine right away.

I lived with a girl for almost 3 years and never proposed. Had I gotten married wed be divorced and Id be paying her money. Im not huge fan of marriage, itd mainly be for the benefits and ease if I did it.

I think she is serious about moving on and he can't get her back even tho she said she would have accepted a proposal had he offered one at one time.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
To be honest, once I pass a drug test I may be back. I'm a pot head, lots of people are, including like you said a lot of successful people. I don't do it because it made me look cool in high school or because I wanna follow some crowd, I do it because I enjoy it.

I feel its not even a big issue anymore...legalize it already! stimulate the economy! Ron Paul 2016!

That means you will be smoking again. Look, now that you gave it up, that's the hard part. Just say no for a couple years and see where your life is headed. You are thru the hardest part; don't start smoking again. It might alter your motivation.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
I think she is serious about moving on and he can't get her back even tho she said she would have accepted a proposal had he offered one at one time.

That means you will be smoking again. Look, now that you gave it up, that's the hard part. Just say no for a couple years and see where your life is headed. You are thru the hardest part; don't start smoking again. It might alter your motivation.

Yup. My choice. If I get me a security job I like making decent money then why not. I enjoy it, it makes everything better. I'd be lying if I said I haven't missed it these past few weeks.

When I start working and going to this boxing club, I'll use it as an award after a hard days work...Like I did when I was playing rugby.

It should be legal, its much safer than alcohol

I really don't see what the problem is with it.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Yup. My choice. If I get me a security job I like making decent money then why not. I enjoy it, it makes everything better. I'd be lying if I said I haven't missed it these past few weeks.

When I start working and going to this boxing club, I'll use it as an award after a hard days work...Like I did when I was playing rugby.

It should be legal, its much safer than alcohol

I really don't see what the problem is with it.

Why is it "safer" than alcohol? Just curious. Also how old are you? You seem pretty sharp. Why are you setting limits to low paying job careers? What is a security job? Stay up all night at a company guarding something or what?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
Why is it "safer" than alcohol? Just curious. Also how old are you? You seem pretty sharp. Why are you setting limits to low paying job careers? What is a security job? Stay up all night at a company guarding something or what?

Exactly. $11/hr is pretty awful. I'm making $23/hr working as a cater waiter. Requires the same skills as being a security guard( none) and pays twice as much. Set higher goals for yourself dude. What are you afraid of?

http://poet83.hubpages.com/hub/Three-Simpl...er-Than-Alcohol

I'm 25, with no college experience, what are these high paying careers I should be shooting for. (Serious question I'd love some ideas). 11 dollars to start off is not bad for a guy like me.

My last security job (where I was team leader) was at a condo building downtown. I sat at a desk for the most part and just conversed with the tenants of the building, which I like. Despite what the last day or 2 of posts from me may lead you to believe I'm a people person, and I enjoy talking to these random people and helping them when needed. I responded to any kind of incidents in the building. I felt like I got respect from all the tenants and all my co workers and I loved that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
Exactly. $11/hr is pretty awful. I'm making $23/hr working as a cater waiter. Requires the same skills as being a security guard( none) and pays twice as much. Set higher goals for yourself dude. What are you afraid of?

Lol I'm not afraid of s***, I like working in security.

I'm a simple man. Money doesn't buy me happiness. Following my favorite sports team is what brings me happiness. Smokin ganj and watching comedies bring me happiness. Laughing is free and blissful. I don't need a fancy car, a big house or a fancy phone to make me happy, those things are overrated.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

Alcohol is much worse for your body, makes you chemically dependent and is more addictive and actually kills people on an annual basis. You literally cannot overdose on marijuana.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)

Any thought of becoming a cop?