Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

Not a Relationship situation but I felt I was being stalked and harassed by an older married woman at work.

When she first started, I would be polite and converse with her but I never had any interest in her. Not attracted to her at all.

She got my cell phone out of the office directory and started texting me. Nothing major but things about work. I didn't think anything of it and told her it was fine that she has my number since we work together.

Soon after that, things got weird. She started texting me personal things but never talked like that to me in person. I knew her daughter and at first thought she was messing with me but than one day at work referred o her texting me.

She would start telling me she doesn't love her husband and had feelings for me. Asked me to meet her for lunch, and a couple times asked me to come to her house. During all this, I told her she needed to leave me alone and I didn't have feelings for her. Tried to be harsh, saying I didn't find her attractive.

She than started texting me about her therapy sessions and how she wants to leave her husband. Than told her I don't care to hear that and threatened to go to management, which I didn't want o do.

Than she got vicious and started calling me a child and other put downs. I just started ignoring her texts and even at work and se eventually left me alone.

She tries to be polite at work but I don't even acknowledge her. If she starts again, I'm definitely going to management.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
Not a Relationship situation but I felt I was being stalked and harassed by an older married woman at work.

When she first started, I would be polite and converse with her but I never had any interest in her. Not attracted to her at all.

She got my cell phone out of the office directory and started texting me. Nothing major but things about work. I didn't think anything of it and told her it was fine that she has my number since we work together.

Soon after that, things got weird. She started texting me personal things but never talked like that to me in person. I knew her daughter and at first thought she was messing with me but than one day at work referred o her texting me.

She would start telling me she doesn't love her husband and had feelings for me. Asked me to meet her for lunch, and a couple times asked me to come to her house. During all this, I told her she needed to leave me alone and I didn't have feelings for her. Tried to be harsh, saying I didn't find her attractive.

She than started texting me about her therapy sessions and how she wants to leave her husband. Than told her I don't care to hear that and threatened to go to management, which I didn't want o do.

Than she got vicious and started calling me a child and other put downs. I just started ignoring her texts and even at work and se eventually left me alone.

She tries to be polite at work but I don't even acknowledge her. If she starts again, I'm definitely going to management.

Maybe I'm paranoid or cynical, but I think I'd take the texts (with the explanation of how she got your number) to management before she gets nutso and tries to accuse you of something to them. Not to push them to do anything at this point, just to bring them up to speed on what's gone on thus far so you have background with them in case she tries to damage you at work.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
Maybe I'm paranoid or cynical, but I think I'd take the texts (with the explanation of how she got your number) to management before she gets nutso and tries to accuse you of something to them. Not to push them to do anything at this point, just to bring them up to speed on what's gone on thus far so you have background with them in case she tries to damage you at work.

Yeah, I'd endorse this.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Oh, I still have the text messages if needed. As long as she leaves me alone, I won't put her job in jeopardy.

Still, the suggestion of being "Proactive" sounds very intelligent here. You can state that you're not going to do anything at present but you want to make sure someone is informed of the situation, and an intelligent supervisor/legal department will want to know the information.

For all you know, you might not be the first person who has had that problem with that employee, or you might not be the last. It shouldn't be your responsibility to determine when things cross the line on your own.

Of course, if you don't respect the people you'd have to report to...well then that might make a different decision happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
Still, the suggestion of being "Proactive" sounds very intelligent here. You can state that you're not going to do anything at present but you want to make sure someone is informed of the situation, and an intelligent supervisor/legal department will want to know the information.

For all you know, you might not be the first person who has had that problem with that employee, or you might not be the last. It shouldn't be your responsibility to determine when things cross the line on your own.

Of course, if you don't respect the people you'd have to report to...well then that might make a different decision happen.

How well connected is this employee with management?

Ratting out a person who is entrenched is usually a bad road... having said that it's putting the person at risk for a black mail kind of thing... weird.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 11, 2012 -> 08:30 PM)
yeah, I haven't said anything to her since last week. She has a boyfriend, so I don't want to try and push things.

This is the greatest thread in internet history. Little bit of everything in here.

You are handling this perfectly. You haven't done anything remotely stupid. You da man.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
My wife and I watched an "adult" movie together last night for the first time... that ended very well for me.

Wow. So many questions. I'll just say, "more information please!" Kidding. But it's cool the wife would go for that. Did the movie have a plot? Just wonder what kinda XX movies wives will tolerate.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 11:24 PM)

That is such a bizarre story. Sorry you got thrust into that situation. That's crazy.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 01:26 AM)

No need to go to management. I'd save the texts. If she tries to blackmail you, you'll be cleared pretty quickly. You can say you didn't want to be THAT GUY who goes to HR, that it was under control, cause u were ignoring her basically. I wouldn't go to management. Sounds like you have a plan.

She should consider herself fortunate. When she was calling you names and stuff, you could have turned her in and she probably woulda got fired. Does that dumb b**** realize that? You did her a huge favor.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
So how long did you actually watch the movie?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
Wow. So many questions. I'll just say, "more information please!" Kidding. But it's cool the wife would go for that. Did the movie have a plot? Just wonder what kinda XX movies wives will tolerate.

Well, we watched the movie for about 10-15 minutes. That seemed to rev up the wife pretty good. In what can only be a positive sign of tings to come, she was very turned on by the lesbian scene...

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
Sounds good in movies but that's real life trouble.

Pretty much that. She'd prefer to know the person, but no one we know would be into the idea... and i think it would be very awkward if we were friends with them. However, she doesnt want to look for some random person online. So, it's a bit of a complicated situation.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

That exact situation essentially ruined one of my good friend's relationship with his then girlfriend. They started, she got weirded out and left, and he and the other girl kept having fun. She didn't know why he didn't stop, he didn't know why she left, and sex itself actually lost its intimacy at that point in time.

In my opinion, threesomes are for single people who have no intentions of having strings attached of any sort. That kind of thing can even hurt friendships or anything else you may consider. I can see situations where it might work, but they're few and far in between.