Joe Mauer Signs for 10 years?

olp_nch

http://wcco.com/sports/twins/joe.mauer.min....2.1462891.html

Sources: Mauer, Twins Agree To 10-Year ContractMINNEAPOLIS (WCCO)

Sources tell WCCO-TV's Mark Rosen that American League MVP Joe Mauer has come to a preliminary agreement with the Minnesota Twins for a 10-year contract extension.

Mauer, 26, and the Twins had been pretty quiet about contract negotiations, while fans were eager to find out if their hometown hero would be staying put at last weekend's annual fan festival.

This is Mauer's final year of his current contract and manager Ron Gardenhire said Friday he was confident that both sides would come together and strike a deal.

Mauer's current salary this season is $12.5 million. Contract details about his new salary were not immediately released.

Mauer became only the second catcher in 33 years to win the coveted AL MVP award, finishing first in an almost unanimous vote in November.

Mauer set a major league record for highest batting average by a catcher and won his third batting title, becoming the first repeat batting champion since Nomar Garciaparra in 1999-00.

He's been voted to the All-Star team three times and won his second straight AL Gold Glove award.

Mauer was born in St. Paul and would've been a free agent after the 2010 season.

Rosen will have all the latest details on WCCO 4 News at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Buster Olney saying the deal isn't done yet. Considering WCCO is a Minnesota sports network, and Buster Olney is a national journalist, I am going to trust WCCO on this one and say it is done.

Heyman also saying it's not a done deal just yet and that it's likely not a 10 year deal, something along the lines of 7 or 8 years at $150M-$180M (thanks for the enormous range, Jon) is more likely.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
I would prefer that he left and went to the NL.

Ditto. He'll be killing us for quite some time. But that is good for him and the Twins franchise to lock up a hometown and homegrown player. I still think they should had taken Mark Prior though.

QUOTE (olp_nch @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
http://wcco.com/sports/twins/joe.mauer.min....2.1462891.html

Sources: Mauer, Twins Agree To 10-Year ContractMINNEAPOLIS (WCCO)

Sources tell WCCO-TV's Mark Rosen that American League MVP Joe Mauer has come to a preliminary agreement with the Minnesota Twins for a 10-year contract extension.

Mauer, 26, and the Twins had been pretty quiet about contract negotiations, while fans were eager to find out if their hometown hero would be staying put at last weekend's annual fan festival.

This is Mauer's final year of his current contract and manager Ron Gardenhire said Friday he was confident that both sides would come together and strike a deal.

Mauer's current salary this season is $12.5 million. Contract details about his new salary were not immediately released.

Mauer became only the second catcher in 33 years to win the coveted AL MVP award, finishing first in an almost unanimous vote in November.

Mauer set a major league record for highest batting average by a catcher and won his third batting title, becoming the first repeat batting champion since Nomar Garciaparra in 1999-00.

He's been voted to the All-Star team three times and won his second straight AL Gold Glove award.

Mauer was born in St. Paul and would've been a free agent after the 2010 season.

Rosen will have all the latest details on WCCO 4 News at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.

How many catchers, ever, have won 3 batting titles and an MVP?

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
It is a good sign for baseball's smaller markets. I also think it is bad for baseball in one way. One of the best talents is in one of the smallest TV markets.

Is there really that much more room for revenue growth in NY/Bos?

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Mauer's going to be overpaid within 4 or 5 years - when he can't be a catcher anymore.

Yeah, a 10-year deal for anyone doesn't seem too smart to me. I understand that they probably had to go with a long contract to keep him there, but what are the chances that he's even a catcher for that length of time, let alone the very good chance of injury.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
Yeah, a 10-year deal for anyone doesn't seem too smart to me. I understand that they probably had to go with a long contract to keep him there, but what are the chances that he's even a catcher for that length of time, let alone the very good chance of injury.

The Twins probably know his medical reports better than anyone. No one would begrudge them anything if they lost him to a huge bid from the Yankees. If they're signing him now, I'll bet they believe he'll endure.

It seems like the consensus is that eventually he'll be a first baseman, but would it be possible that he could play 3B or corner outfield after he stops catching full time? Because he could be a more valuable piece if that happens. Though to be fair, even if he were a DH full time, he still has crazy high value.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
The Twins probably know his medical reports better than anyone. No one would begrudge them anything if they lost him to a huge bid from the Yankees. If they're signing him now, I'll bet they believe he'll endure.

They also know that they can flush their fan base good-bye if they lose either one of these guys right after moving into a brand new stadium.