Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
I think that's 20 years too late for me to be interested.

It will always be a big deal for Miami fans since it was ND who backed out of this series.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ May 13, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
Actually Notre Dame's baseball program is pretty strong. They would immediately be one of the top teams in the Big Ten.

Oh the baseball team is strong, it just can't always compete with the southern and western teams enough to stay in the top 25.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 14, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
It will always be a big deal for Miami fans since it was ND who backed out of this series.

They stopped the series because it got too violent and personal between the teams and fans.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 16, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
They stopped the series because it got too violent and personal between the teams and fans.

Notre Dame has that effect on people. Something about entitlement and being in Indiana. Pretty laughable.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 16, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
Oh the baseball team is strong, it just can't always compete with the southern and western teams enough to stay in the top 25.

No program outside of those warm weather areas can. It's a constant struggle.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
There was really no doubt at any point that he'd be the choice IMO. He's got a chance to be a good one.

Yeah, with their offensive line, they're going to need his mobility. I hope he survives to develop his potential.

My excitement for this upcoming Illinois football season: -3 out of 10. It's going to be an awful 5 months - 4-8 at best, Zook gets canned, and unless one of the assistants does something special they'll be gone and replaced and the whole rebuilding project (which started 5 years ago) will start again.

Could be worse though. We could be Michigan. At least we don't really have the recent tradition of being any good.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Utah, BYU, Colorado, New Mexico, Hawaii, or Boise State make more sense geographically.

It's all about the TV viewership. Bringing the Texas markets, Oklahoma City, and Denver markets brings 20M+ extra potential viewers.

It would likely be an East/West set.

East:

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Colorado

Arizona

Arizona State

West:

Oregon

Oregon State

Washington

Washington State

California

USC

UCLA

Stanford

Not that much of anybody cares, but NIU's best defensive player from last year changed his mind and decided to come back for a 5th season this fall, which is very good news. Could be a pretty good season for us, sporting news has us preseason top 50 and well ahead of all 3 BCS teams we play. We're not going to go 3-0 in those games with them all on the road, but I'd be surprised if we don't win 1 and think it's realistic we could get a 2-1 out of those contests.

As for Boise State to the Pac 10, rumor has it they'll be going to the Mountain West on Monday at the earliest, and by June 30th at the latest. Rumor also has it that the USC investigation results for their football (and basketball) programs will come out tomorrow, that should be interesting.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
It's all about the TV viewership. Bringing the Texas markets, Oklahoma City, and Denver markets brings 20M+ extra potential viewers.

East:

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Colorado

Arizona

Arizona State

West:

Oregon

Oregon State

Washington

Washington State

California

USC

UCLA

Stanford

And ISU, Kansas and Kansas State are royally f***ed. Baylor too, but who knows where they'd end up.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)

East:

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Colorado

Arizona

Arizona State

West:

Oregon

Oregon State

Washington

Washington State

California

USC

UCLA

Stanford

Yeah, not gonna happen. My guess is they invited the whole big 12 with hopes of at least Colorado accepting. Texas and Texas A&M are tied at the hip, and Texas loves it in the Big 12 so rule them out. I don't see either Okie schools leaving. So that leaves Texas Tech, and who knows, maybe. Its a prefect time if they wanted to switch conferences and it would help them to get out of the shadow of Texas and Texas A&M.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
Yeah, not gonna happen. My guess is they invited the whole big 12 with hopes of at least Colorado accepting. Texas and Texas A&M are tied at the hip, and Texas loves it in the Big 12 so rule them out. I don't see either Okie schools leaving. So that leaves Texas Tech, and who knows, maybe. Its a prefect time if they wanted to switch conferences and it would help them to get out of the shadow of Texas and Texas A&M.

The Big 12 was thrown together as a league, and was never going to survive. The league will be breaking up soon regardless of whether this scenario happens or not, and this is the best option for the Texas schools. Texas and Texas Tech are the ones actually tied at the hip because of state politics. A&M has been flirting with the SEC, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them delusional enough to accept a bid if offered.

I know someone will be happy to add Kansas because of their basketball program, but I don't know if they are an AAU member to be in the Big 10 or where else they would be regulated to. Mountain West maybe? Not sure.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
The Pac 10 could give two s***s about anyone outside of Texas. They don't add anyone aside from maybe Colorado unless they get Texas.

Pac 10 wants their own network and a championship game. Of course they'd want Texas, but Texas would be crazy to leave for the Pac-10 when they already make more money in the Big 12 and practically own the conference with Oklahoma.

After looking at it though, Texas Tech does make some sense. Solid football program with a decent basketball program, has a growing fan base, fits better geographically better than any other Texas School (outside of UTEP), and gives the Pac-10 a little slice of the market in Texas.

If the Pac-10 takes any teams from the Big XII though, you can kiss goodbye any idea of a split Pac-10/Big XII network.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)
Kansas is but Kansas State is not, and the two are also tied at the hip through the state legislature.

I think that's the main reason Kansas didn't get an invite.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)
AAU Schools include:

Nebraska

Mizzou

Iowa State

Syracuse

Pitt

Rutgers

I wouldn't be surprised if those six schools got an invite to the Big 10 to make another 16 team superconference.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
My excitement for this upcoming Illinois football season: -3 out of 10. It's going to be an awful 5 months - 4-8 at best, Zook gets canned, and unless one of the assistants does something special they'll be gone and replaced and the whole rebuilding project (which started 5 years ago) will start again.

Could be worse though. We could be Michigan. At least we don't really have the recent tradition of being any good.

4-8 is not as bad as you think. They didn't have that good of a record once from 2003-2006. Thats improvement. In Zook We Trust!!!!!

ugh...the pac 10 raids the big 12 and the big 10 raids the big east....yuck...

as a big 10 fan they need to do everything in their power to pry texas or oklahoma and not missouri and freaking rutgers

Iowa State is oh so f***ed and our leadership knows it.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&...DB_OEM_ID=10700

We believe the Big 12 Conference is the perfect fit for Iowa State University. We are committed to our membership in the Big 12, and we are optimistic that the conference will remain intact. However, we also recognize that the long-term viability of the Big 12 Conference is not in our control - it is in the hands of just a few of our fellow member institutions.

Iowa State and several other members of the Big 12 Conference are especially vulnerable under some of the re-alignment scenarios currently circulating, particularly one involving expansion of the Pac-10. We are doing everything in our power to represent the best interests of Iowa State in these discussions, but we also are sensitive to the huge uncertainty that has been created and recognize that the situation could evolve in directions that are not aligned with our interests.