Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Rumor floating that the SEC wants FSU and Clemson. Also says they do not want to go over 14 teams.

Then the ACC sucks in Big East teams? Damn, this is going to get VERY interesting.

We're looking at the Big12 and Big East conferences completely disappearing.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Then the ACC sucks in Big East teams? Damn, this is going to get VERY interesting.

We're looking at the Big12 and Big East conferences completely disappearing.

It's just a rumor floating around Rivals. I think it makes more sense to take 4: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
Yeah, who'd want a s***ty Iowa State athletics program that ranks ahead of Illinois in the Director's Cup.

It's not about how good they are, it's about how many fans/tv viewers they can bring. Iowa is covered already. The only way Iowa St. gets an invite is if the Big Ten needs another school after some others have declined the offer.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
One thing ESPN mentioned was that their TV deal sucked

From my reading, it's not so much that it sucked, it's more that the Big Ten Network became a huge success that no one really expected. It generates an additional 6-7 million per school I think. Seperately the Pac-10 and Big 12 can't compete, but they're hoping that together they can offer a "PTN" with Fox that'll be as good as the BTN. I'm guessing it won't be anywhere near as succesful, but it'll be better than what they have right now.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
It's just a rumor floating around Rivals. I think it makes more sense to take 4: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson.

From everything I read, UGA wants GT no part of the SEC.

I would think VT would do everything it could to be lumped in wherever Miami/FSU goes, if those two schools left.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
It's not about how good they are, it's about how many fans/tv viewers they can bring. Iowa is covered already. The only way Iowa St. gets an invite is if the Big Ten needs another school after some others have declined the offer.

I know ISU adds no TV sets and is down the list of schools they'd want - but to say they bring nothing to the conference either athletically or academically would be flat out wrong. It's bad enough in this state with all the Hawk fans taking absolute joy in what will seriously hurt one of the state's schools.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Can someone educate me, why did Big 12 fall apart in the first place?

The Big 12 North is terrible

The Big 12 South is awesome

Its an unbalanced league, plus the money stuff as well..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)

Plus it was even a mashup of the pieces of two different old conferences either. No real history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Good for the Big 10.

Yeah, well I went to that retarded missouri school. It should be noted that Missouri actually keeps it's standards low because it is a state school and tries to be attainable for its residents. And Missouri actually has good state schools beside mizzou.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)

Big 12 north is terrible? Do you have a memory for anything beside football, and if even football, does your memory merely extend to like the past 4 years?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
Good for the Big 10.

Yeah, but the idea that academics is anything but an afterthought in this is a joke. If academics were a priority, the Big 10 would have been falling all over themselves to get Colorado, Texas, Iowa State and Baylor - not Nebraska.

Being an Iowa State grad, it looks to me like ISU has a great case for the Big 10, except for two things. Unfortunately, one of those things is football, which is like 80% of what this is about. The other is that they don't even have a baseball team, so that's 2 of 3 major sports where they are just a non-thought. And even in basketball, they are historically a strong program, but lately have sucked.

On the Learfield list of overall sports impact among colleges, which looks at the top 20 sports together, ISU is #22 in the country. Unfortunately, they get that way for being strong in stuff like wrestling, gymnastics and track/field.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
These are all rumors, but ive heard that FSU/Miami will never get an invite to the SEC. Florida does not want it.

They're afraid of more competition. It doesn't matter though, you only need 9 out of 12 schools to approve. If the league wants it, it'll happen.

Big 10 tried (or is trying) to get Texas. (depending on who you believe)

Im not sure that Iowa State, Baylor or Colorado are that much superior to Nebraska academics to off set Nebraska's superior brand and reputation.

One of those teams fills an 80k+ stadium every year, the other 3 dont. If academics are close, you look for the marquee brand.

I guess I dont consider Colorado, Baylor, or ISU as academic schools that "the big 10 would be falling over for." They are solid schools, but Im pretty sure that they would be in the lower half of the Big 10 in academics.

Its just not a really big selling point (imo).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)

Im not sure that Iowa State, Baylor or Colorado are that much superior to Nebraska academics to off set Nebraska's superior brand and reputation.

One of those teams fills an 80k+ stadium every year, the other 3 dont. If academics are close, you look for the marquee brand.

I guess I dont consider Colorado, Baylor, or ISU as academic schools that "the big 10 would be falling over for." They are solid schools, but Im pretty sure that they would be in the lower half of the Big 10 in academics.

The Big 10 is absolutely still trying to get Texas and there is a report (of course who knows if it is true) that is saying Texas and Texas A&M have petitioned the Big 10 for membership. And I am in complete agreement about Baylor, Colorado, and Iowa St. Going off of the US News Rankings, which are far from perfect but still, each of those schools is ranked lower than every current Big 10 school and while they are higher than Nebraska it isn't a substantial different. This is about the major sports men's basketball and men's football. Iowa St. fails miserably in both areas, doesn't bring in any new markets, and doesn't have a national following at all. They would be a terrible addition.

http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

Here is the link to the Texas information.

What possibly could have happened is that Texas was a go to the Pac-10 provided that they took all Texas schools. Once Pac-10 took Colorado over Baylor, Texas was free to do what it wanted.

The "Tech" problem which was spoken about in the Ohio State email, maybe referred to the fact if Am/Texas went to the Big 10, theyd have to make sure they found a place for Tech in another big time conference.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)

Sorry, to be clear, I meant that those 4 schools (ISU, Bay, CU, UT) were the ones OF THE BIG 12 that were strongest academically. Saw an article today with a complex point formula used in the academic community, I think it was done for AAU schools only, and those schools I mentioned were all basically in the middle of the Big 10 pack. Not Northwestern by any stretch though.

Your line about the football stadium is key - that's the difference maker here.