Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:50 AM)
12 team football, 20 team basketball conference.

Not just Kansas, but Kansas State, Mizzou and ISU have also spent time in the Top 10 in the last decade.

that would suck. The traveling would be absurd.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
I guess it depends on how you define "many". My guess is that half of the SEC was eliminated, the bottom few Pac-10, the bottom few Big-12, etc.

I guess I dont understand what the argument is.

Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, ISU are all similar academically...

So the Big 10 should have added them by US News ranking?

Where exactly are we going with this argument?

I'm saying if the Big Ten's standard for academics was being an AAU school (which in itself is a rather arbitrary list) that's not the most exclusive group. Most BCS schools are in it. It's not a big deal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
guys most of this twitter breaking news has been bulls***.

This is no less valid than anything else, a writer from the Washington Examiner in Big East country seems to be spitting out info left and right:

Key alumni groups of #Georgetown #USF,#UCONN,all welcome the idea of #Kansas,#KansasState,#IowaState,#Missouri to #BIGEAST

2 minutes ago via mobile web

Top #BigEast brass welcome talks with #Kansas, #KansasState,#Missouri & #IowaState. big push by #cincinnati and #Louisville to add them

10 minutes ago via mobile web

For those asking about #Texas and #TexasA&M to the #BIGTEN. Not going to happen! PAC 16 offers a better long term deal.

about 2 hours ago via mobile web

#Kansas, #KansasState, #IowaState and #MO will talk to the #BigEast about an expanded #BigEast.

about 3 hours ago via mobile web

I can confirm that Kansas, Kansas State, MO. and Iowa State are starting talks with The Big East.A 12 team FB Conf & a 20 BB cinf.

about 3 hours ago via mobile web

That would be wild.

FB

East

Connecticut

Syracuse

Rutgers

Pittsburgh

West Virginia

South Florida

West

Louisville

Cincinnati

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

Missouri

Other Sports

East

Connecticut

Syracuse

Rutgers

West Virginia

South Florida

Villanova

Seton Hall

Georgetown

Providence

St. John's

West

Pittsburgh

Louisville

Cincinnati

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

Missouri

Notre Dame

Marquette

DePaul

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
Now reports from ESPN that Texas wants to keep the Big 12 together.....

Well of course they would, that has always been their ideal situation. They currently own the Big 12 money wise, and it would only get worse with Nebraska out. I think it will be a done deal with the other 5 schools joining Colorado tomorrow.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
A 20-team Big East?? Their basketball tournament is already awful, with that many teams, it might be tougher than the actual tourney. That would be a b**** for regular season scheduling too.

Awful?

As in tough to win?

Cuz i think it's the best conference tourney there is. Often you have multiple legit championship threats and its at MSG. Doesnt get much better, but of course as a UConn fan I'll admit i'm biased.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
That would be wild.

FB

East

Connecticut

Syracuse

Rutgers

Pittsburgh

West Virginia

South Florida

West

Louisville

Cincinnati

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

Missouri

Other Sports

East

Connecticut

Syracuse

Rutgers

West Virginia

South Florida

Villanova

Seton Hall

Georgetown

Providence

St. John's

West

Pittsburgh

Louisville

Cincinnati

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

Missouri

Notre Dame

Marquette

DePaul

Sucks to be DePaul

Here's a big factor AGAINST the Pac-10 for any current Big 12 team. Pacific Time Zone. It may be the same distance to Seattle as it is to Happy Valley, but Texas doesn't want to be playing 10 pm EST start times. That would be a killer for a school with a huge fan base and huge alumni association. And to add my two cents about academics...even the guy who was last in his class in medical school is still a doctor. The AAU is a strong positive factor for induction into the Big Ten. There are 63 institutions on it ranging from Canadian colleges to Ivy league. That cuts out about 15 schools. Add in the schools that are lodged firmly in other conferences (Duke, USC, UNC) and small schools (Johns Hopkins, U of C, Wash U.) and your list dwindles.

Nebraska doesn't bring much more to the table academically than is already in the Big Ten. What it does bring is football tradition, knowledgable fans that travel and fun, exciting new matchups.

Finally, and I know I'm kinda looping back on myself but, for all this talk of travel...the teams that are talked about the most for travel have the biggest coffers. Texas and Notre Dame. Would it suck for the non-revenue sports? Probably, but at the same time, the football teams are going to make that back.

And speaking of non-revenue...Texas and Notre Dame would add or create credibility in sports like baseball, softball, swimming, lacrosse and volleyball.

Where is it all heading? My guess is at least one national conference with 12 of the top 20 football teams. Maybe not this time around, but soon enough. I could even see a really stunning realignment with conferences developed strictly for football, basketball, and the olympic sports. National scope for the two major revenue sports and regional for the non revenue sports. It would take a major rethinking of what a conference is, but it would make the most money, save the most money, and money is what it is all about.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
Here's a big factor AGAINST the Pac-10 for any current Big 12 team. Pacific Time Zone. It may be the same distance to Seattle as it is to Happy Valley, but Texas doesn't want to be playing 10 pm EST start times. That would be a killer for a school with a huge fan base and huge alumni association. And to add my two cents about academics...even the guy who was last in his class in medical school is still a doctor. The AAU is a strong positive factor for induction into the Big Ten. There are 63 institutions on it ranging from Canadian colleges to Ivy league. That cuts out about 15 schools. Add in the schools that are lodged firmly in other conferences (Duke, USC, UNC) and small schools (Johns Hopkins, U of C, Wash U.) and your list dwindles.

Nebraska doesn't bring much more to the table academically than is already in the Big Ten. What it does bring is football tradition, knowledgable fans that travel and fun, exciting new matchups.

Finally, and I know I'm kinda looping back on myself but, for all this talk of travel...the teams that are talked about the most for travel have the biggest coffers. Texas and Notre Dame. Would it suck for the non-revenue sports? Probably, but at the same time, the football teams are going to make that back.

And speaking of non-revenue...Texas and Notre Dame would add or create credibility in sports like baseball, softball, swimming, lacrosse and volleyball.

Thats a good point. I never thought of the time zone differences. I remember last season LSU opened at Washington at 10pm on ESPN. LSU really controlled the game for the first 3 quarters but really tired in the 4th.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
college kids sleep until noon, and begin thinking about going out at 10pm. I'm not certain it is that big of a deal competitively.

True, but athletes usually don't get that luxury with workouts and practices often before 8 am.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
college kids sleep until noon, and begin thinking about going out at 10pm. I'm not certain it is that big of a deal competitively.

Its not.

Even non college Texas fans would stay up to watch the game late. They just don't know how big it is down here.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Awful?

As in tough to win?

Cuz i think it's the best conference tourney there is. Often you have multiple legit championship threats and its at MSG. Doesnt get much better, but of course as a UConn fan I'll admit i'm biased.

For a college basketball fan, its awesome, so many great basketball teams, so many good games. For the teams, it sucks, especially since some have to win 5 games in 5 days. Making it a 20 team tourney would make it that much more difficult and harder on the players.

The time zone difference would be negligible in most cases. The reason Texas, A&M, Tech, Okie State, and OU are sticking together is not only for the rivalries but also for the traveling distance.

Texas would play OU, Okie State, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State every year. I'm just not sure whether each "East" team would play one, or three "West" teams each season. Playing 7 against your division, and 3 against the other division would leave only two OOC games. The East teams would only have to play in the PST timezone once or twice a year because of home and away switching each season. The East would play in Mountain time zone once a year in Arizona and once in Pacific time zone. Not bad at all.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
Thats a good point. I never thought of the time zone differences. I remember last season LSU opened at Washington at 10pm on ESPN. LSU really controlled the game for the first 3 quarters but really tired in the 4th.

You also have to look at it the other way. An 11 AM start in Austin is 9 AM on the west coast, which is super early.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
The time zone difference would be negligible in most cases. The reason Texas, A&M, Tech, Okie State, and OU are sticking together is not only for the rivalries but also for the traveling distance.

Texas would play OU, Okie State, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State every year. I'm just not sure whether each "East" team would play one, or three "West" teams each season. Playing 7 against your division, and 3 against the other division would leave only two OOC games. The East teams would only have to play in the PST timezone once or twice a year because of home and away switching each season. The East would play in Mountain time zone once a year in Arizona and once in Pacific time zone. Not bad at all.

True...in football. But other big sports (at least in Texas) baseball and basketball, it is a big deal. Rivalries don't mean as much anymore except Texas and A&M. Remember, Texas-Arkansas and Nebraska-OU were bigger rivalries than Texas-OU when there was still a Southwest Conference and Big 8.

Finally...as for travel...I think more people will want to watch Texas-Penn State (longest travel distance for both teams) vs. Texas-Washington. Complete speculation on my part.... Not to mention more population on the East Coast than the West Coast taht would be interested in UT-PSU.