Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Early results on ESPN poll have fans saying Division II is stronger by a 2 to 1 margin.

Only states that say Division 1 is stronger, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska and North Dakota.

What a joke.

Division 1 has significantly more depth than Division 2 when you consider that right now Purdue, IU and Illinois are probably the worst 3 teams in the conference. From an Illinois standpoint I honestly don't think the division is bad for us. We aren't close to competing for conference championships on a consistent basis anyways and to win one we were going to have to beat other top teams anyway. But with this setup we get to face Purdue, IU and NW every year so if they schedule a weak non conference schedule they should be able to make bowls on a consistent basis.

Eh Minnesota, NU and Michigan State arent exactly world beaters.

Indiana is probably the worst team in the Big 10. Illinois is a hit or miss team, they went to the Rose Bowl a few years ago, which is more than a team like Minnesota or MSU can say. Purdue has been solid in the past.

Id say Indiana is the worst, but on any given year NU, Illinois, Minnesota, MSU could be the 2nd worst. Honestly I consider Illinois to be the team with the highest upside of that group (long term).

That being said, its more about the top teams in the conference. I dont expect Iowa to lose to Minnesota, NU or MSU on a consistent basis. And Id much rather face those 2 teams than having to face PSU/OSU instead of UM/Nebraska.

Most Wisconsin sites are reporting that Iowa and Wisconsin were considered equals.

Im just not sure how Nebraska= PSU and UM= OSU.

Geography must have played a role, because the more logical split would have been PSU/OSU as the 1/2 split. And this isnt about right now, its about since 1993. And since 1993, I believe NU/Illinois have more Big 10 titles and more Rose Bowl appearances then MSU and Purdue.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Eh Minnesota, NU and Michigan State arent exactly world beaters.

Indiana is probably the worst team in the Big 10. Illinois is a hit or miss team, they went to the Rose Bowl a few years ago, which is more than a team like Minnesota or MSU can say. Purdue has been solid in the past.

Id say Indiana is the worst, but on any given year NU, Illinois, Minnesota, MSU could be the 2nd worst. Honestly I consider Illinois to be the team with the highest upside of that group (long term).

That being said, its more about the top teams in the conference. I dont expect Iowa to lose to Minnesota, NU or MSU on a consistent basis. And Id much rather face those 2 teams than having to face PSU/OSU instead of UM/Nebraska.

Most Wisconsin sites are reporting that Iowa and Wisconsin were considered equals.

Im just not sure how Nebraska= PSU and UM= OSU.

Geography must have played a role, because the more logical split would have been PSU/OSU as the 1/2 split. And this isnt about right now, its about since 1993. And since 1993, I believe NU/Illinois have more Big 10 titles and more Rose Bowl appearances then MSU and Purdue.

I don't disagree that Illinois has more upside than those other teams, but the fact is that despite making 2 BCS games in the last 10 years they have only made 3 bowls in the last 15 years and have had several 3-9 type seasons.

I think Nebraska under Pelini likely will be as good as PSU will be the big difference is that OSU is clearly the class of the conference and there is no indication that Michigan will be back to being an elite program any time soon.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)

Maybe you should, Northwestern has won 4 of the last 5 against them. :D

Illinois is an inconsistent program. But so are the other programs listed. I dont know how many times Minnesota, MSU or Purdue have gone to bowl games, but I just have always felt Illinois is a more dangerous program.

Im not sure about Nebraska. I predict them to be in the Wisconsin/Iowa mold, solid team every year. I guess you can put PSU in that area as well. The big problem is Michigan. If you consider Nebraska, PSU, Wisconsin, Iowa to all be similar, with OSU being the class of the conference, it would stand to reason that there would only be 2 of those 5 teams in OSU's division, and the other 3 would then offset the fact that OSU is generally the better team.

From where Im sitting I say a split of Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin in Division 1 and UM, PSU and OSU in Division 2, makes a lot more sense. Even replacing PSU with Iowa/Wisconsin would be far more fair.

Based on this years rankings you have:

OSU #2, Wisconsin #12 and PSU #19 in one division.

Nebraska #8, Iowa #9 in the other division.

I just think it would make more sense to have Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin in the same division because each year 1 of those 3 teams may be good enough to take on OSU. And OSU's division would still be strong because itd have PSU and Michigan.

(Edit)

Yah NU has been a thorn in the side for some programs, but I dont think your really concerned about the middle range teams when youre making these alignments.

Edited by Soxbadger

I don't really know how you can say Illinois is the most "dangerous" program in that group when they've only made 4 bowl games since Penn State joined the conference in 1993. That's 3 fewer than Northwestern (who also has two more conference titles) and 5 fewer than Minnesota and Michigan State. Frankly, they've been quite crappy in recent history and they're likely in for a few more rough years after they fire Zook.

The reason I say that is because Illinois has the most potential (imo) compared to MSU, Purdue and Minnesota is that they have a much stronger potential recruiting base. Just because they havent put it together, doesnt mean that they couldnt. I agree that NU has been better than Illinois since 1993, but Minnesota, Purdue and MSU are generally going to the lower level bowl games. Illinois on the other hand is more boom or bust, either going to a good game, or nothing.

I guess I just dont really think any of them stand out so much that it really matters how they were split.

Id rather be in the same division as MSU, Purdue or Minnesota, then IL/NU, but thats just me.

Edited by Soxbadger

The problem is that there are 4 other teams that bring in just as much/more talent (OSU, Michigan, Penn State, and interestingly enough Sparty) and three others that typically get a lot more from the talent they do bring in with Iowa, Wisconsin and NU.

I really wouldn't worry about them until they upgrade their coaching situation, and they'll probably have 2 or 3 sub-par classes while they sort that out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
They could have done east/west, but east would be much more powerful than west.

Penn St

Ohio St

Michigan

Michigan St

Indiana

Purdue

Northwestern

Illinois

Wisconsin

Iowa

Minnesota

Nebraska

Wow, that setup almost makes too much sense IMO. I honestly don't think the east is that much more powerful in that setup either.

FYI, the "special selection show" just started on Big Ten Network

Projected Crossover "rivalry/trophy" games that will be played every season:

OSU-Michigan (will still be on the last day of the season)

PSU-Nebraska

Wisconsin-Minnesota

ILL-NW

Indiana-MSU

Purdue-Iowa

Then you play 2 other opponents from the other division to make 8 conference games.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
So from everything im reading tonight the Big 10 will announce divisions split as follows:

- Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

- Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

Or as I will refer to them:

Man's League: Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

Juniors: -Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

Not sure why this is a competitive split. Outside of Iowa, the Juniors have to rely on Michigan becoming relevant again and Nebraska being as good as Wisconsin/PSU on a consistent basis.

If it was me, I would have figured out the top 6 programs, and then split them. OSU is clearly #1, after that its murky but I think the next 3 are PSU, Iowa and Wisconsin (in no order). You then put Michigan and Nebraska in opposite divisions and youve got a good mix.

Oh well I guess the road to the Big 10 Championship goes through Columbus. Fortunately Wisconsin has done better against OSU than most teams, but I have a feeling that most PSU, OSU and Wisconsin fans are going to be displeased with the split. Where as I expect Iowa, Nebraska fans are counting down the days.

Nebraska has been on at least the level of everyone in the Big 10 outside of Ohio State in the past decade. Nebraska will probably win 10+ games this year again heading into Big 10 play.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
So from everything im reading tonight the Big 10 will announce divisions split as follows:

- Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

- Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

Or as I will refer to them:

Man's League: Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

Juniors: -Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

Not sure why this is a competitive split. Outside of Iowa, the Juniors have to rely on Michigan becoming relevant again and Nebraska being as good as Wisconsin/PSU on a consistent basis.

If it was me, I would have figured out the top 6 programs, and then split them. OSU is clearly #1, after that its murky but I think the next 3 are PSU, Iowa and Wisconsin (in no order). You then put Michigan and Nebraska in opposite divisions and youve got a good mix.

Oh well I guess the road to the Big 10 Championship goes through Columbus. Fortunately Wisconsin has done better against OSU than most teams, but I have a feeling that most PSU, OSU and Wisconsin fans are going to be displeased with the split. Where as I expect Iowa, Nebraska fans are counting down the days.

Well its going to be the case of teams in one division beating up each other perhaps. It really makes zero sense to me the way they split it. You have 3 out of the 4 top programs on one side while the other IMO has only one real good program. Michigan is a ways off from being relevant again and the others are second tier teams. Is the split necessary in basketball? Because then its even more lopsided.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
Well its going to be the case of teams in one division beating up each other perhaps. It really makes zero sense to me the way they split it. You have 3 out of the 4 top programs on one side while the other IMO has only one real good program. Michigan is a ways off from being relevant again and the others are second tier teams. Is the split necessary in basketball? Because then its even more lopsided.

Split is supposed to be only for football. And I don't think Wisconsin is a better program than Iowa or Nebraska.

Rock, you're thinking too short term. I think they looked at more of a history of the programs. Yeah Michigan isn't very good right now, but they will likely be back over the long haul. And if they aren't, who the heck cares about the Michigan/OSU protection thing anyways. Clearly by people worrying about that matchup, people think Michigan will get back to where they were, and soon. Otherwise that game turns irrelevant.

You have traditional powers on each side (OSU/PSU, Mich/Neb)

You have two middle/good guys (Wisc/Pur, Iowa/MSU)

You have two...s***ty programs (ILL/IU, NU/Min)

Its hard to say what Nebraska will be in the Big 10. Theyve been playing the crappy Big 12 North for years racking up wins.

I think that you can easily argue PSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa are all on similar levels and any given season one could be better than the other.

The problem is Michigan. They were good, but they arent right now. Its easy to say that they will get better, but who knows, the Michigan basketball team has never recovered.

And the UM/OSU game matters to those fanbases. I think OSU fans would enjoy beating Michigan 100-0 and would want to make sure they get the chance to pound them each year.

And I dont think that Purdue or MSU are on the same level as Iowa/Wisconsin. When the Big 10 started talking divisions, they separated UM, OSU, PSU, Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin as the top teams. Which is why they are all split.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
Rock, you're thinking too short term. I think they looked at more of a history of the programs. Yeah Michigan isn't very good right now, but they will likely be back over the long haul. And if they aren't, who the heck cares about the Michigan/OSU protection thing anyways. Clearly by people worrying about that matchup, people think Michigan will get back to where they were, and soon. Otherwise that game turns irrelevant.

You have traditional powers on each side (OSU/PSU, Mich/Neb)

You have two middle/good guys (Wisc/Pur, Iowa/MSU)

You have two...s***ty programs (ILL/IU, NU/Min)

I hope Michigan gets back up there though when DickRod is gone since he's such a douche. Its good for the conference if they do. I still think its heavily weighted towards one side.

And I'm glad its not for bball as well since I guess that doesnt make sense, especially since the OSU side would be deadly.

And i think you are underestimating the OSU/michigan game quite a bit. We ALL care about that game, especially it being the last game of the schedule. In all honesty, if OSU goes 1-12 and that 1 win is against UM, its a good year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
I hope Michigan gets back up there though when DickRod is gone since he's such a douche. Its good for the conference if they do. I still think its heavily weighted towards one side.

And I'm glad its not for bball as well since I guess that doesnt make sense, especially since the OSU side would be deadly.

And i think you are underestimating the OSU/michigan game quite a bit. We ALL care about that game, especially it being the last game of the schedule. In all honesty, if OSU goes 1-12 and that 1 win is against UM, its a good year.

That's meatball "if the bears go 2-14 and they beat the packers, it's awesome" talk that I know you don't truly believe Rock, you're way better than that as a sports fan. There's no way OSU fans are happy if that happens.

I'm not underestimating the matchup - but what I'm saying is that if Michigan turns into a mediocre program, the rivalry won't exist. It's not a rivalry when one team never wins. But I think we both believe they'll get back to a good to great program, similar to where Nebraska is back to, and the game will still have huge meaning and the conferences will be pretty fair, all things considered.

They won't keep them for basketball, don't need it. If they did though, MSU would house their division, they may not even lose a game in the division some years.

Edited by IlliniKrush