Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Sep 4, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Miami's offense was trying to turn the game into a blowout for UF. I couldn't imagine what that game would have been like if they could actually move the ball.

If that Redhawks player doesnt get called for the unsportsmanlike penalty, it possibly could have been 21-16 with 14 minutes to play.

Florida will struggle on offense because they dont have great WR's. Brantley has great potential but who is going to step up for him?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must say, UNC's resilience in the 2nd half impressed the hell out of me. I was rooting for them so hard to win - I think they got f***ed at the end. The 2nd to last play probably should have been a catch (hit his hands) and the last play was pass interference, but I also don't think you can make that call at the end of the game, so probably a good non-call.

And I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ole Miss losing... That's worse than Michigan losing to Appalachian St. At least App St was a multiple national championship winning team a the 1-AA level at the time. Jacksonville St? They aren't near as good as App St.

Lastly, loved the fact that Florida looked so bad. Just wish that they had played someone real in their 1st game. If they had played a legit opponent today, they would have lost playing like they did... Things aren't so f***ing easy without Tim "The Savior" Tebow, are they, Florida fans?

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 4, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
I must say, UNC's resilience in the 2nd half impressed the hell out of me. I was rooting for them so hard to win - I think they got f***ed at the end. The 2nd to last play probably should have been a catch (hit his hands) and the last play was pass interference, but I also don't think you can make that call at the end of the game, so probably a good non-call.

And I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ole Miss losing... That's worse than Michigan losing to Appalachian St. At least App St was a multiple national championship winning team a the 1-AA level at the time. Jacksonville St? They aren't near as good as App St.

Lastly, loved the fact that Florida looked so bad. Just wish that they had played someone real in their 1st game. If they had played a legit opponent today, they would have lost playing like they did... Things aren't so f***ing easy without Tim "The Savior" Tebow, are they, Florida fans?

Ole miss is not ranked 5th.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)

Jacksonville State was about 90 seconds away from winning at Florida State last season. Still its a big upset but obviously JSU has some talented players.

the officials absolutely gift wrapped the game to Northwestern last night....what bulls***.....two horrendous, horrendous personal foul calls give the cats a first down on their last two drives to seal the game ....

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
the officials absolutely gift wrapped the game to Northwestern last night....what bulls***.....two horrendous, horrendous personal foul calls give the cats a first down on their last two drives to seal the game ....

I watched the second half and Vandy did get the short end of calls last night. And it amazes me how many coaches start going for 2 in the 3rd quarter.

Iowa did what they needed to. They made a couple foolish turnovers but crushed a bad team like they are supposed to. Rivalry game coming up and Jewel Hampton will be back which will give Iowa much needed help (Robinson/Hampton is a solid duo) at RB since Wegher is currently MIA.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
That was a fun night here on Rocky Top last night! It could be real ugly next weekend though.

We have another Knoxvillian? Nice.

Last night was great, but can't take much away from playing a D-1AA school except that we didn't blow it like Ole Miss or Kansas. I'm so pumped for next week - I have no idea what's is store but Oregon looked stellar. I fully expect to lose, but it'll be closer than people think.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)

The last one definitely sucked, the one before that wasn't that bad. First off, it came on a first down after a 6 yard gain, so it's not like it was the only reason it extended the drive (they would have had a 2nd and 4 at their own 47). Second, the guy clearly hit him helmet-first after he was already wrapped up.

They had numerous poor personal foul penalties. Vanderbilt got a HUGE break on one where Quentin Williams barely tapped a receiver out of bounds while tripping over the down marker. Instead of it being a 4th and 2 on the 37, they got a first down at the 22 and it lead directly to the field goal. There were at least two other late hit out of bounds penalties (I think one each way) that were highly questionable.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Anyone see the finish in East Carolina-Tulsa? The Tulsa coach is a moron and deserved the loss.

Tulsa down 10-7, they score a TD and goes for a fake XP and fails. Tulsa leads 13-10.

Tulsa down 24-23, they score a TD and go for two and fail. Tulsa leads 29-24.

Tulsa down 31-29, they score a TD and go for two and fail again. Tulsa leads 35-31.

Fast forward to 5 seconds left and EC has the ball at the Tulsa 40 with Tulsa leading 49-45. East Carolina throws a hail mary and wins it 52-49.

Hope that original fake XP was worth it.

Chasing points is probably my biggest pet peeve in college football.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)

That's a major stretch. NU led the whole game and the calls were bad on personal fouls both ways. As Zoom said, the helmet to helmet one was a no-brainer and before the questionable call NU was a big favorite to end the game on that drive anyway.

What was the deal with that f'd up formation when going for the tying 2? Shotgun with 2 RBs to the left of the QB and then a WR going in motion to the right of the center? It's no wonder the center threw it away.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
That's a major stretch. NU led the whole game and the calls were bad on personal fouls both ways. As Zoom said, the helmet to helmet one was a no-brainer and before the questionable call NU was a big favorite to end the game on that drive anyway.

What was the deal with that f'd up formation when going for the tying 2? Shotgun with 2 RBs to the left of the QB and then a WR going in motion to the right of the center? It's no wonder the center threw it away.

Actually, I agree the last one was bulls***. It was clear on the replay that it was shoulder-to-shoulder, though it didn't look like it live.

However, as you said, at that point Vanderbilit would have had to gain at least 40 yards after the punt (the ball would have been on the 38, assuming a 30-yard net punt) in under 2 minutes (1:15 or so after the theoretical punt? Not totally sure) with no timeouts. Also, though it's debateable, it looks like based on the spot before and after the penalty was walked off, they gave NU the first down on the spot (ended up on the Vandy 46, exactly 15 yards farther than the marker. Probably would have been reviewed).

I thought NU out-played them, but s***, too many negative plays on offense. Someone needs to tell Arby Fields to stop running backwards. :bang Persa held the ball way too long a few times too, though he played a pretty solid game.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
We have another Knoxvillian? Nice.

Last night was great, but can't take much away from playing a D-1AA school except that we didn't blow it like Ole Miss or Kansas. I'm so pumped for next week - I have no idea what's is store but Oregon looked stellar. I fully expect to lose, but it'll be closer than people think.

I'm a recent transplant as we moved here last month. Agreed on next week - fully expect to lose, but it could be fun. It was nice to see them actually destroy a team they were supposed to destroy. Expectations seem pretty low this season, but I thought the defense looked ok and the offense finally seemed to click in the 3rd quarter. In either case, Simms needs to stop staring down every fricking receiver. He got away with it against UT-Martin, but that's not gonna work against Oregon.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 03:31 AM)
what are you hearing? I saw that Blake resigned but is falling on the sword or is there more rumblings?

He is the main source of the problems, he has always been a dirty recruiter. However, it extends to the academic side as well, and might even go beyond football. It's very, very ugly.