Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
How about you re-read my comment! OSU completely dominated Michigan by 11 points while getting 5 turnovers. The game was handed to you on a silver platter. But none of that matters. My point was the original poster acted as if Michigan can't get within 14 points, which they did with 2 of the 3 teams he mentioned. Stupid post. Yours comes in a close second. Unless of course, you would like to read the posts again and retract, rather than try to put words to my name. Hell, go ahead and just start posting for me. Its the same thing. :)

Maybe it would cut down on the amount of posts you put in a thread in a row. Easier for the eyes. ;)

And OSU generated the 3rd most turnovers in college football last year, they werent handed anything. They completely dominated the wolverines from start to finish and ran the ball out of the game which is why the score was what it was. If you think it was a close game or UM "handed" the game over, you need to either rewatch the game,. I went back and re-read your comment after I posted and my reply was directed right at your blanket statement that they CAN win 2 of those games, just like any team in the country could do against any other team. I mistakenly thought you had made a pointed statement, but in actuality you didnt really say anything of that nature. That was my bad that I read it like you were going out on a limb and actually saying they WOULD win games, when in actuality you said they have a chance to MAYBE win some.

And I dont believe UM is tougher at all, in fact you lost your best player who just happened to be on defense, on a team that basically plays zero defense to begin with. We'll see where they are in a month or so, but my money is on DickRod being let go at the end of another disappointing season, which as a UM fan, you should be in favor of.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 12:41 AM)
I watched the first drive for Notre Dame again three times tonight. I still can't understand the deal with Crist. There were a couple of times on that drive that he got popped pretty good, but after both the cameras were in close on his face and you saw no change in facial expressions. Generally, if someone is having vision problems they will blink naturally. The camera showed none of that with Crist. He looked completely normal. He did get popped pretty good when he made the completion to Rudolph on the second to last play of the drive, but the hit wasn't to the head.

I looked for any signs that he was fighting something or changing anyhting and saw nothing. Then, all of a sudden he has blurred vision and has to sit out the rest of the half. But then he's okay to come out and play in the second half? I want to take the team/trainer's word for it, but a clear explanation seems to be elusive. Even ESPN had a small piece on it and the whole article was quotes from Crist and none from ND. Am I wrong not buying what they are selling?

Then what are they trying to hide, I don't think they would sit Crist for no reason.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
So you are saying Iowa -1.5 should be a solid bet?

Me personally I would never classify a road team as a 1.5 fave as a solid bet. A top 10 team on the road vs a fringe top 25 team would seem like an easy play. But going out west is never a sure thing, especially for a 1030 start.

90% of the spread plays is going on Iowa and 70% of the moneyline to Arizona which is about right since there isnt any real value in going with the Iowa ML or AZ spread.

I've liked Arizona all week but if you put a gun to my head I would take Iowa so I doubt I'll play this game. I think this game will be a dogfight to the end.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 06:54 AM)
Maybe it would cut down on the amount of posts you put in a thread in a row. Easier for the eyes. ;)

And OSU generated the 3rd most turnovers in college football last year, they werent handed anything. They completely dominated the wolverines from start to finish and ran the ball out of the game which is why the score was what it was. If you think it was a close game or UM "handed" the game over, you need to either rewatch the game,. I went back and re-read your comment after I posted and my reply was directed right at your blanket statement that they CAN win 2 of those games, just like any team in the country could do against any other team. I mistakenly thought you had made a pointed statement, but in actuality you didnt really say anything of that nature. That was my bad that I read it like you were going out on a limb and actually saying they WOULD win games, when in actuality you said they have a chance to MAYBE win some.

And I dont believe UM is tougher at all, in fact you lost your best player who just happened to be on defense, on a team that basically plays zero defense to begin with. We'll see where they are in a month or so, but my money is on DickRod being let go at the end of another disappointing season, which as a UM fan, you should be in favor of.

Opinions vary. First, know that I am not dumb enough to come on here and spout off about how great Michigan is going to be. When they do it on the field, I may take a different approach, but for now I am proceeding very cautiously. I don't like putting my foot in my mouth when its not necessary. You are right in that the UM - OSU game wasn't as close as the score indicated last year and it is fair of you to ask for credit for OSU's defense for creating the turnovers. I just felt UM played badly and still kept the score reasonable close. Not winnable close, but close enough that it worked for my original argument. lol

As far as this year goes, we'll have to wait and see. I'm confident Michigan will be better this year, both offensively and defensively, which should result in better results. Depth is the biggest difference. How much better those results will be remains to be seen.

I know this is a message board and I will ask and ask only once because I have no authority on the matter. But personally I think calling him DickRod (this goes along with all the fat jokes with Charlie Weiss last year) is classless and rude. Perhaps you are using the term for effect. That's your prerogative. But in my mind, a knowledgable sports fan should be able to discuss without having to go there.

I happen to disagree with you on Rodriguez getting fired being better for UM. From everything I hear and read, those that have personal interaction with Coach Rodriguez feel he is very genuine and support him. Unfortunately, that is not the case for all UM backers because still have their panties in a wad that Les Miles was not offered the job. It's time to get over that. We're allowed to have different opinions so there is no need to get into a pissing match over him.

Lastly, I fire out so many posts because I am only on here once or twice a week. I should probably read all the posts and then go back and reply to a select few, but hell, I have fun stirring the pot on occasion. Give an old man a break, will ya?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Then what are they trying to hide, I don't think they would sit Crist for no reason.

That's what I am asking. I can't seem to make any sense of the whole thing which is why I am posing the question. Conspiracy theorists could argue it was a way of hiding some kind of suspension, but I would have a hard time buying that. It makes less sense than the story being told now. Did he actually get hurt in the TD celebration and they don't want to admit it? I wish I knew. I just know that typically when you have blurred vision, the natural reaction is to blink or wince. You would see some kind of facial expression. The camera wasn't on him all the time, but there were many closeups of him in between plays that I thought I would see something if I were looking for it, even something small. It just seems weird is all I'm saying. If you go back and watch and look for anything that might tip it off, I think you would agree.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
I happen to disagree with you on Rodriguez getting fired being better for UM. From everything I hear and read, those that have personal interaction with Coach Rodriguez feel he is very genuine and support him. Unfortunately, that is not the case for all UM backers because still have their panties in a wad that Les Miles was not offered the job. It's time to get over that. We're allowed to have different opinions so there is no need to get into a pissing match over him.

You really think RichRod is good for the UM program? I personally think that UM is one of the best and classiest programs ever in college football. Since Rich has taken over the program, he has run quality student athletes out of the school and promoted a culture of non-compliance resulting in sanctions. He's spouted off to UM fans, the media, the students and even other coaches. He's showed a history of scandal and deceit in now two major programs and hasnt had any results on the field at UM. He put together the single worst season of any first year UM coach as well as one of the worst stretches in school history. For fans and faculty to be in up arms over there makes sense to me and I dont think it has anything to do with Les Miles. He has single handedly changed the image of the program from one that was highly revered to one that is at some times mocked in the media.

I personally had the pleasure to meet Bo Schembechler, and although he was a firey personality on the field, he was widely regarded as a man with personal integrity and was high revered around football much like his mentor, Woody. I personally think that Bo would roll over in his grave if he saw the things that Rich has done to his program, both on and off the field. Like I said before, I think UM fans deserve better than Rich Rodriguez.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
Has RichRod been caught buying cars and giving money to players? Getting private planes for players?

Not yet but I know of a story that says he did.

But if you dont think this happens after every school then youre just naive.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
You really think RichRod is good for the UM program? I personally think that UM is one of the best and classiest programs ever in college football. Since Rich has taken over the program, he has run quality student athletes out of the school and promoted a culture of non-compliance resulting in sanctions. He's spouted off to UM fans, the media, the students and even other coaches. He's showed a history of scandal and deceit in now two major programs and hasnt had any results on the field at UM. He put together the single worst season of any first year UM coach as well as one of the worst stretches in school history. For fans and faculty to be in up arms over there makes sense to me and I dont think it has anything to do with Les Miles. He has single handedly changed the image of the program from one that was highly revered to one that is at some times mocked in the media.

I personally had the pleasure to meet Bo Schembechler, and although he was a firey personality on the field, he was widely regarded as a man with personal integrity and was high revered around football much like his mentor, Woody. I personally think that Bo would roll over in his grave if he saw the things that Rich has done to his program, both on and off the field. Like I said before, I think UM fans deserve better than Rich Rodriguez.

This is a topic I don't feel the need to get into with an Ohio State fan. I do appreciate you caring for our program to follow this closely enough to get all of your facts straight and not take all your points from national media snippets. There are gross inaccuracies and exaggerations in what you stated above.

To put some things in perspective, I will discuss the NCAA issue. The Detroit Free Press "broke" the big scandal by letting all know how much Michigan was breaking all of the practice time rules. They interviewed disgruntled players who left after the coaching change and current freshman (at the time) on media day asking questions to dig for information without being transparent about their intent. New freshman stated how hard they had been working - now there's a big shock. The reality of it is, the investigation revealed UM has "practiced" 65 hours too many in a year. Do the math, I challenge you. That amounts to barely more than an hour a week or about 15-20 minutes a day. This whole big scandal broke because they were not accurately counting stretching, warm up etc which counted as practice time. 15-20 minutes a day!!! Note, the Freep never interviewed anyone at Michigan, football people, athletic department or compliance. There was never an attempt to get both sides of the story and accurate information.

Now Michigan did admit to having QC staffers at some off season workouts and in coaches meetings. Strangely enough, now those staffers are allowed at meetings. UM hired QC staffers which equated to additional strenth and conditioning coaches. It was determined that even though their expertise was in strength and conditioning they offered the kids "football advice or instruction" while on the field for voluntary workouts. I can go into how confusing the definition of QC staffers and their allowable roles was for all schools, but that's pretty well known for anybody that has followed this closely.

Lastly, there were forms that UM football support staff did not file for over a year. The non-filing actually began before Carr retired. Rodriguez did not know the forms existed. As head coach, he ultimately is responsible. Emails from UM compliance staff practically begging for the forms from those employees have been printed. Ultimately, compliance and football operations people (athletic department personnel) were not doing their job making sure the practice hours were documented and all of it was kept from Coach Rodriguez. Seven employees, including Rodriguez received letters of reprimand from the AD and the other six all included language stating they failed to do their job but they also withheld information from Coach Rodriguez. The same thing was going on at WVa and continued after Rodriguez left because it was simply a misinterpretation of some rules. Again, we're talking barely more than an hour a WEEK.

Of course, all of this is public information so I am sure you have read it all and simply chose to interpret "UM aguilty of major violations" when in fact the wording was "potentially major". Having read what I have read, I sleep very well at night not worrying at all about Rodriguez and the NCAA.

The key will be if Rodriguez can win. I am quite confident he will and will do so with class. UM like any school has always had kids that admissions had issues with. That existed under Carr and farther back. Carr simply had more political clout to get them in. Admissions standards at UM are higher than most schools. Not all kids that meet NCAA requirements will get into Michigan. They're not Stanford or Harvard, but their not the SEC either. If Rodriguez shows enough improvement this year (and I think he will), he'll be back, the necessary depth will be in place and the next two years will be a major turning point. But I'll focuse now on handling UMass this week first.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Me personally I would never classify a road team as a 1.5 fave as a solid bet. A top 10 team on the road vs a fringe top 25 team would seem like an easy play. But going out west is never a sure thing, especially for a 1030 start.

90% of the spread plays is going on Iowa and 70% of the moneyline to Arizona which is about right since there isnt any real value in going with the Iowa ML or AZ spread.

I've liked Arizona all week but if you put a gun to my head I would take Iowa so I doubt I'll play this game. I think this game will be a dogfight to the end.

I agree with you. I'd love for Iowa to route, but they are going west (never an easy task) and have the late start time. On top of that Arizona runs a spread offense and that quick release offense could help neutralize Iowa's outstanding pass-rush.

Plus, Iowa's great D Coordinator, Norm Parker, will not be able to make the trip to Arizona. It is going to be a dog fight.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Not yet but I know of a story that says he did.

But if you dont think this happens after every school then youre just naive.

I agree. But those stories I listed are things that another Big Ten coach has done in the past few years. So getting on Rodriguez specifically by some people is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
I agree. But those stories I listed are things that another Big Ten coach has done in the past few years. So getting on Rodriguez specifically by some people is ridiculous.

Who?

I literally googled Big Ten scandal, private planes, buying cars and found nothing.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 03:29 AM)
I agree with you. I'd love for Iowa to route, but they are going west (never an easy task) and have the late start time. On top of that Arizona runs a spread offense and that quick release offense could help neutralize Iowa's outstanding pass-rush.

Plus, Iowa's great D Coordinator, Norm Parker, will not be able to make the trip to Arizona. It is going to be a dog fight.

As long as the D-Line holds their gaps and doesnt over penetrate they will be fine. Their front 7 should stop the running game as well as the short passing game which leads to AZ holding the ball longer and sacks.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
This is a topic I don't feel the need to get into with an Ohio State fan.

You did get into it though, but dont take me as an OSU fan as a negative. If anything I hold UM higher than most other fans across the country. Not only did I live with 3 die hard UM fans in college including one whose family was close personal friends with Bo (this is how I met him a few times), but I always was taught by my family to respect our main rival because they are who made us great.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
Who?

I literally googled Big Ten scandal, private planes, buying cars and found nothing.

I'm sure you'll defend your boy to the end of the world anyway.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3165853

Than the whole Maurice Clarett thing. It was traced all the way back to Youngstown State. I highly doubt Clarrett made it up.

There may or may not of been anything with Terrelle Pryor but if something comes out, similar to Reggie Bush, nobody would be surprised.

And just cuz OSU and Tressel report themselves, doesn't make it right.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 08:15 PM)
I'm sure you'll defend your boy to the end of the world anyway.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3165853

Than the whole Maurice Clarett thing. It was traced all the way back to Youngstown State. I highly doubt Clarrett made it up.

There may or may not of been anything with Terrelle Pryor but if something comes out, similar to Reggie Bush, nobody would be surprised.

And just cuz OSU and Tressel report themselves, doesn't make it right.

LOL, seriously? Tressel taking two ACADEMIC all americans to a bball game after they were done with football is your case? Jesus. Most UM fans actually respect Tressel, I honestly thought you were talking about another coach. JT is considered one of the most upstanding members of the college coaching ranks in football, keep dreaming buddy.

Youngstown state=0 sacntions, coaches and athletic program NOT AT FAULT

Clarrett getting busted taking money on his OWN=getting thrown out of OSU by Tressel and OSU, once again no sanctions.

Pryor=Really? Thats just flat out dumb. Maybe DickRod paid Robinson? Please point out a recruiting class that is an outlier of anything JT has ever done. BTW, he picked up the #1 QB coming in next year as well.

Nice try, seriously. It honestly too bad you dont actually respect a coach that brings more to the conference than any other coach.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Nice try, seriously. It honestly too bad you dont actually respect a coach that brings more to the conference than any other coach.

I respect the hell out of Joe Paterno.