Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
It's not that you want to know what you need right away...it's that you need the opponent to play it like it's a one possession game. You don't go for the 2 until you absolutely have to, and most teams do this.

I understand the point, I just don't agree with it. It's certainly not an awful decision as was said earlier. You can either both sides.

As for the opponent playing like it's a one score game may not be a big difference. I would assume the play calling is similar. The primary goal is to kill the clock either way. I think the only possible change is the team in the lead playing nervous because it's getting closer. I still don't think it's a major decision either way.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
And you want a statement with no validity? How about the fact that everyone keeps saying that Boise would already have 2 or 3 losses if they played in bcs conference? Why is that exactly?

Because they don't have the overall talent or depth to survive the week to week grind of a top conference. They have good enough players and coaching to beat major programs in 1 game settings, but over the course of an 8 game conference schedule, they'd lose a couple of games.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

My question to everyone who thinks Boise State should be ranked #1. Please answer some of these but please don't just say "because Boise is better:"

-Do you think their offense could score 60+ on Oregon or stop the Oregon offense from scoring at will? I know Boise beat Oregon last year but this Oregon team is just on a different level offensively than the rest of the country. Their pace of play is unbelievable.

-How would they shut down Newton, Dyer, McCalebb and Fanin from Auburn? Dyer is a freshman and has gotten better each game. Newton may have just had his Heisman moment last weekend. This team put up over 400 rushing yards against LSU. I know some of you don't believe in LSU but their defense has been pretty good and LSU did beat Mississippi State, Florida, North Carolina and West Virginia.

-The Virginia Tech team that Boise State beat has a loss to James Madison. Their only good win is at North Carolina State and they have a decent win over East Carolina. CMU: suck. Duke: suck. Boston College: suck. Wake Forest: suck. Why is this and beating Oregon State (who lost to Washington last time out) such big wins as compared to beating LSU, Mississippi State, Arkansas and South Carolina (Auburn); Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and Northwestern (Michigan State); Oklahoma and Illinois (Missouri) or Stanford (Oregon)?

-Switch Boise State with Wisconsin. Do you think Boise comes though Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota and Iowa undefeated? That is a heck of a schedule and Wisconsin only dropped their game at Michigan State.

-Switch Boise State with LSU. Do you think Boise comes through Mississippi State, West Virginia, Tennessee, Florida, McNeese State, Auburn and Alabama without picking up a loss?

-Switch Boise State with Mississippi State. Do you think Boise makes it though Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Alabama and Arkansas without picking up a loss? Mississippi State is ranked but they're far from a marquee name.

-Is Boise State better than TCU? They have both beat Oregon State. TCU has beaten Baylor and Boise has beaten VT. TCU has Utah left, Boise has Nevada left. If both go undefeated, who is ranked higher? I think TCU would be (beating a tough Utah team would be the biggest win for either team).

-A big game I cannot wait for is for Boise State to go to Nevada. I want to see what Kaepernick and Taua do out of the pistol against Boise. If they're able to run wild, what do you think would happen against the Auburn rushing attack or the Oregon offense?

My opinion is that TCU is the team with a legitimate chance at playing for the title if the cards fall for them. I don't think an undefeated Boise gets into the title game over a one loss Alabama, Auburn, Oregon, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Wisconsin or an undefeated TCU.

The only thing I would disagree with from all of that is that Boise beat TCU last year so that should play in as a tiebreaker between the two this year. I only say this because neither team is especially proven and it's hard to see a major difference in either so far this season. At least with Oregon, you can see they are a different team than last year so the Boise game shouldn't play as big of a role. I understand this is a double standard to some extent, but for the most part I think it's the only way to separate Boise and TCU because the resumes are so similar.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
TCU is going to have to win at Utah a top 10 team (atm).

Boise will have to win at Nevada barely top 25.

If TCU and Boise go undefeated, you have to give the nod to TCU.

I agree with you sir. Even take it a step farther.. If Utah and Boise State both win out, I think Utah would be ranked ahead of Boise State. Wins over an improving Iowa State, an undefeated #4 TCU, and serviceable teams in Pitt, ND, San Diego State and Air Force would trump Boise State beating an up and down Oregon State and VT.

One more thought: people are overlooking that Baylor is ranked 25th and VT is ranked 23rd. In addition, if Baylor can stay hot, they would shoot up the rankings. Baylor will see Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas AM and Oklahoma the final four weeks. Win some of those games and they'll end up being a massive win for TCU. VT can only really improve themselves with a win over Miami (Fla) and Oregon State is a push since both beat them.

Edit: Please note I forgot to include Hawaii in a quality win for Boise State (if they beat them). Hawaii did beat Nevada after all.

Edited by SuperSteve

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
TCU is going to have to win at Utah a top 10 team (atm).

Boise will have to win at Nevada barely top 25.

If TCU and Boise go undefeated, you have to give the nod to TCU.

Utah is the biggest paper tiger in the top 10. They literally havent played anyone.

vs (4-3) Pittsburgh W 27-24

vs (1-6) UNLV W 38-10

at (0-7) New Mexico W 56-14

vs (1-7) San Jose St W 56-3

at (4-4) Iowa State W 68-27

at (2-6) Wyoming W 30-6

vs (2-6) Colorado St W 59-6

Combined Opponent W-L for Utah = 14-39

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
The only thing I would disagree with from all of that is that Boise beat TCU last year so that should play in as a tiebreaker between the two this year. I only say this because neither team is especially proven and it's hard to see a major difference in either so far this season. At least with Oregon, you can see they are a different team than last year so the Boise game shouldn't play as big of a role. I understand this is a double standard to some extent, but for the most part I think it's the only way to separate Boise and TCU because the resumes are so similar.

I dont think Oregon is that different of a team this year. They did the same thing last year until they faced an actual defense. Oregon is going to continue to feast on terrible defensive teams in the Pac Ten until USC returns back to the top.

Either way, Boise is going to have to win out and hope a major BCS conf team loses a game or two to make it to the title game. And honestly, I dont see it working out for them.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
One more thought: people are overlooking that Baylor is ranked 25th and VT is ranked 23rd. In addition, if Baylor can stay hot, they would shoot up the rankings. Baylor will see Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas AM and Oklahoma the final four weeks. Win some of those games and they'll end up being a massive win for TCU.

I love Robert Griffin, but Baylor is 3-1 in the Big 12 on beating three North teams not named Missouri or Nebraska. They still have to play arguably the four best teams in the South and already lost to Tech. They're a bowl team with a few really talented players, but I'd be stunned if they won 2 of those games.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
I dont think Oregon is that different of a team this year. They did the same thing last year until they faced an actual defense. Oregon is going to continue to feast on terrible defensive teams in the Pac Ten until USC returns back to the top.

It's possible, but they do have a different QB for better or worse. It looks different to me, even if just subtly.

James Madison was an upset. Boise was not an upset wite. With your logic Alabama should be in the national championship cause they would probably beat SC if they played them now.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
The fact that you think Boise is more deserving over Auburn is a joke. It's obvious you arent really a football fan and have no clue on what is going on. So just stick to crying about the little guy being left out in the basketball thread.

Insulting my intelligence doesn't get help get your point across that Boise being in over Auburn is a joke. Please try again.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 12:56 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5725597

Boise deserves a spot in the title game. This article gives reasons why.

It does gives reasons, but unfortunately they aren't very good reasons. Last year's win over Oregon doesn't matter cause it was last season. Wins over the last 5 seasons don't matter when you are discussing the 2010 season. Virginia Tech lost at home to James Madison & the ACC sucks. Oregon State isn't guaranteed a +.500 record.

Could BSU beat Oregon or Auburn on a netural field? Sure, it would happen, they are talented and thats the nature of football, especially when you are a trick play machine like BSU. But teams like Oklahoma or Wisconsin could beat them once in a while too, but that doesnt mean they should be in the title game either.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 05:58 AM)
While I think it would be cool to see Boise there, if they played a power-conference schedule, they would have three or four losses. Still a solid team, but not national-championship worthy. But hey, I am all for seeing them there.

The problem with this statement is that it is myopic. If Boise played a power conference schedule, Boise would have a lot more money, better facilities and get better recruits. Boise is what it is and there is only so much they can control. Boise does not have the resources the major conference schools do, so it is unfair to directly compare them.

That said, don't look now but Va Tech is a pretty damned good team. Va Tech lost a heartbreaker to Boise and could not get over a serious hangover the next week and lost a game they never should have. Since, they have played quite well.

I'm not a Boise apologist, but I do think they deserve to play with the big boys. I understand their limited resources and that it is not as easy for them to schedule big schools as most people seem to think. It is harder for them to recruit not only because of budget, but simple geography. They have built in disadvantages. If the Pac 10 would invite them, I have no doubt they would accept, however they can't control the conference they are in. If I hear one idiot on the radio say one more time "Until Boise joins a big conference they don't deserve...." I may explode.

I say at the end of the year, if Boise is left standing, give them a shot. If they play in the NC game or in a BCS Bowl all the big conference schools have to do is beat their ass to shut everybody up. But the BCS schools would rather pair them with TCU than play them. If there are most deserving teams then Boise should not play in the NC game. The question is, what makes a team more deserving?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
As long as Boise not only plays in the WAC, but is tricky with their OOC schedule, then yes I will not give them credit. Boise loves to play their toughest game OOC as the opener (Oregon last year, Virginia Tech this year) and I'd bet that's no coincidence since the opener in college football is typically a weak game for teams since there is no preseason. Would Boise have beaten Oregon in October of last year or would they beat Virginia Tech now? I say no and no. As well, despite being in the WAC, Boise schedules teams like Toledo and Wyoming out of conference. They know the WAC hurts them, so schedule 4 BCS teams out of conference if you're so interested in being #1. And even with all of that said, Boise doesn't have the test of multi week stretches of stiff competition like the Auburn's of the world do. Without all of these advantages, Boise State would not go undefeated. End of story. If Boise is the only undefeated team at the end of the season or one of two, I have no problem with them playing for the title. But if they finish ahead of any of Auburn, Michigan State, Missouri, or Oregon despite such a school going undefeated, then we have a big problem.

Fans of Boise State and TCU (TCU is only a hair behind Boise State right now, and may pass them later on this year if they can pull it off against Utah) REALLY need help this weekend. Michigan State won't lose if they win this weekend, I can't see Oregon losing if they survive this weekend, and Missouri has a shot to run the table if they survive Lincoln.

C'mon, do you really think a BCS team is going to schedule Boise this time of year? Hell no. They want Directional U for homecoming, if they have a break in their conference schedule. Boise is able to schedule teams early because that is when teams will play them. You don't see Florida or Alabama scheduling a home and home with a Big Ten school on their off date in October or November. It's the same principle. I can't believe I am defending them as much as I am, but let's use some common sense here. Boise does not have as much control over these things and we might hope. I don't see a whole lot of BCS teams knocking down the door to travel to Idaho.

My opinion on Boise is this.... at the end of the year, look at them and decide if they are one of the best two teams. I don't care if they would have/could have been undefeated with a different schedule. If they beat the crap out of the teams on their schedule to the point that educated football people believe they deserve a shot, they should play for the National Championship. If those same people think a one loss Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State or whoever else is better, then so be it. But the playing fields are not equal in terms of schedule, conference, resources, facilities and recruiting. The bottom line is we don't know how Boise would do with another team's money resources and schedule. So all of the other reasoning is BS to me. Use your eyes. If Boise is good enough, give them the ball. If not, send them to the Orange Bowl or somewhere else. So evaluate what they can do on the field based on honest football evaluations. Unfortunately, most of the people voting in polls watch no more than highlights and don't see the teams play to the point of evaluating them.

Personally, I'd like to see a panel like the NCAA basketball committee pick not only the NC game but all the BCS games and perhaps all bowl games and get rid of the polls and computers beyond them being tools used by the committee.

Edited by Rex Hudler

I don't see a whole lot of BCS teams knocking down the door to travel to Idaho.

Why should BCS teams be knocking on the door to play in Idaho? Boise wants to be a big boy then they need to be the ones knocking on the doors of the top teams. Bobby Bowden made Florida St back in the 70s by taking his team on the road to all the top teams and winning every year. Boise needs to follow the same model.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
Why should BCS teams be knocking on the door to play in Idaho? Boise wants to be a big boy then they need to be the ones knocking on the doors of the top teams. Bobby Bowden made Florida St back in the 70s by taking his team on the road to all the top teams and winning every year. Boise needs to follow the same model.

I agree with Rex 100% here. Not sure Boise is for real, but I'd like to see them get a shot if they go undefeated. They've done everything they can, and they've been doing it for a few years now (with success).

And college football in 2010 is not comparable with college football in 1970 IMO. Boise makes more money by staying in the BCS discussion every year with their current scheduling than they would losing at a good school in their one or two big games a year (assuming they can find a team to play them).

This is why we need an 8 team playoff. If they stink, they'll get beat. If they're good, they'll win and prove everyone wrong. Simple as that.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

To say Boise in a BCS conference can't be compared to now because they don't have the facilities or the money they would in the BCS is a bad argument. They don't have that money and that's why people are skeptical. They can't match these teams off the field so why do we think they can match them on the field?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
To say Boise in a BCS conference can't be compared to now because they don't have the facilities or the money they would in the BCS is a bad argument. They don't have that money and that's why people are skeptical. They can't match these teams off the field so why do we think they can match them on the field?

um, you've watched them beat highly ranked BCS teams the last few years right?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
um, you've watched them beat highly ranked BCS teams the last few years right?

Let's not act like they've been knocking off ranked teams non stop. Since 2000 they are 6-7 vs top 25 teams and their only win vs a top 5 team was against TCU last season.