Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 03:18 AM)
They have two decent tests with some good defensive teams in Cal and AZ although they are weak offensively. Oregon really wont face any real test until they play in a bowl game just like last year.

We get it, OSU beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl last year. Its a different season now, that game means nothing for the 2010 season.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
The University has made the decision to let people on those things now a university decision not a coaching staff decision. As far as I know the video guy is a part of practice. The kid was very scared up there and it cost him his life. I'm sure you are correct, there are many coaches if not all that would have held practice and had the kid up filming. That doesn't mean its not a huge mistake. I do feel sorry for Kelly in a way even though I think he's a snake. He just happened to be the coach this happened to. It probably could have been 100 other coaches.

That argument may have been true, but Jim Tressel moved practice inside because of wind earlier. It's not all of them. Most maybe, but at least one coach knew better. I'm sure others would too.

I also just want to make sure you didn't mean the kid being scared was why he died, that was worded oddly.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 01:52 AM)
I can say with 100 percent confidence that Michigan with Lloyd Carr and Ryan Mallett would be a national title contender this year. Defensively they would be better and offensively they would match up better in conference.

I miss Lloyd Carr so much. And Ryan Mallett too.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
On the other hand, if the kid was terrified for his safety, he should have told the coach that he wasnt filming no matter what.

Sure. I heard a rumor that he complained about it, but I haven't heard anything since so it's probably not true. Definitely a reasonable point.

I still can't believe the play call by Kelly at the end of the ND game. What the hell was he thinking? And it's even worse that he was defending the hell out of it in the post-game press conference. Other than the outcome of the game, fun day in South Bend.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
I was still can't believe the play call by Kelly at the end of the ND game. What the hell was he thinking? And it's even worse that he was defending the hell out of it in the post-game press conference. Other than the outcome of the game, fun day in South Bend.

Was I right on ticket prices? And yes I'm absolutely furious with that play call, you run the ball and set up your field goal kicker who has not missed in like 18 straight kicks.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 03:04 AM)
Sure. I heard a rumor that he complained about it, but I haven't heard anything since so it's probably not true. Definitely a reasonable point.

I find that ridiculous. It's completely blaming the victim, and not only are you asking him to stand up to his employer, but a employer of celebrity status in one of the most hyper-masculine contexts we can imagine.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Was I right on ticket prices? And yes I'm absolutely furious with that play call, you run the ball and set up your field goal kicker who has not missed in like 18 straight kicks.

damn, I figured he threw the ball into the endzone because he had a bad kicker. If you have a bad kicker then I can understand the call but if you have a good kicker, let him win it for you.

you know Rock, for someone who keeps throwing around the paper tiger phrase you should look at your own team.. Ohio State has had ONE challenge on their schedule so far this year and that was @Wisconsin.. and they lost..

And I dont wanna hear about Miami, they are garbage..

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
damn, I figured he threw the ball into the endzone because he had a bad kicker. If you have a bad kicker then I can understand the call but if you have a good kicker, let him win it for you.

Yeah he's hit all 13 he's attempted this year, 50 yards being the longest and all 5 he attempted last year. So he's never missed in his career. There was no reason to throw the ball there.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)

Well, I ended up getting one for free from one of my friend's parents, so it worked out great. Got to go to the game and didn't have to spend a dime. But yeah, early in the morning I asked a scalper and he wanted $160 for a pair. I wasn't doing that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
I find that ridiculous. It's completely blaming the victim, and not only are you asking him to stand up to his employer, but a employer of celebrity status in one of the most hyper-masculine contexts we can imagine.

And you know, probably would get fired as well.

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
you know Rock, for someone who keeps throwing around the paper tiger phrase you should look at your own team.. Ohio State has had ONE challenge on their schedule so far this year and that was @Wisconsin.. and they lost..

And I dont wanna hear about Miami, they are garbage..

Exactly why they arent ranked in the top 10 in the BCS standings. Otherwise I may have to make a claim that they are as well. OSU's defense is going to be exposed by someone other than Wisco this season, its just a matter of time.

Edited by RockRaines

Naturally, Iowa State still controls its destiny in the Big 12 North as we roll into game ten of the season. All Iowa State needs to do is win two home games and at Colorado, and they go to the final Big 12 Championship game. :)

Maybe we'll get lucky and get to face Zac Lee again.

Seriously though, if Iowa State can go 2-1 the rest of the year (a win over Colorado, and a split of Mizzou/Nebraska in Ames), how long til Paul Rhoads is mentioned for bigger and better jobs?

EDIT: And, now, apparently, Taylor Martinez went from being probable against ISU to having a "shot" to play against ISU, according to Pelini. We are his dad's alma mater, after all, so I guess he really wants to play.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
Naturally, Iowa State still controls its destiny in the Big 12 North as we roll into game ten of the season. All Iowa State needs to do is win two home games and at Colorado, and they go to the final Big 12 Championship game. :)

Maybe we'll get lucky and get to face Zac Lee again.

Seriously though, if Iowa State can go 2-1 the rest of the year (a win over Colorado, and a split of Mizzou/Nebraska in Ames), how long til Paul Rhoads is mentioned for bigger and better jobs?

EDIT: And, now, apparently, Taylor Martinez went from being probable against ISU to having a "shot" to play against ISU, according to Pelini. We are his dad's alma mater, after all, so I guess he really wants to play.

Even going 1-2 should net ISU a bowl game, finishing at 6-6. 7-5 would be fantastic. 8-4 would be absurd.

Rhoads seems to have done a lot with a little in his couple years in Ames, I'm fairly impressed. I think he's gotten his teams to play above their talent level.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
Even going 1-2 should net ISU a bowl game, finishing at 6-6. 7-5 would be fantastic. 8-4 would be absurd.

Rhoads seems to have done a lot with a little in his couple years in Ames, I'm fairly impressed. I think he's gotten his teams to play above their talent level.

Didn't think I'd see the day when Iowa State would line up against Texas and be undoubtedly the better team.

I think Iowa State is a good example of how "fit" for a coach matters. Gene Chizik really struggled there, yet is coaching like he belongs with the big boys in the SEC now at Auburn. Rhodes was Auburn's DC and did a pretty solid job and seems to be finding his way at ISU. Could one argue that Chizik would have made the same progress since many of the players at ISU were his recruits? Maybe. But I think it really boils down to "fit". I also think Chizik learned a lot at Iowa State about what not to do and took those lessons learned with him. In this case, swapping coaches looks to be a win for both schools.