Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Garbage based on what?

Alabama took a 4th quarter lead against the eventual national champs in the SEC title game before losing. Utah jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first 10 minutes of that Sugar Bowl. You really think Alabama was excited to be there that night? The only thing Alabama was looking forward to in the weeks before the bowl game was the free gifts they were going to get.

You can't blame Utah for Bama having its head up its ass. If a team can't get their heads straight a month after their last game then they should just go to the GMAC Bowl and save everyone the trouble. Alabama gave a horses*** effort and its their own damned fault. Utah came out and hit them in the mouth and Bama folded.

I hear that crap all the time. The SEC beats up on each other all year and they just aren't in it when they go to bowl games and play lesser competition, so they lose some. That's the biggest load of crap. Man up and play the damned game. If not, save us the time and skip the bowl game. Either way, no excuses. You win or lose on the field!

/off soapbox

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who is blaming Utah? Utah came to play that night and Alabama didnt want to be there so they got embarrassed and deservedly so.

And it's not a SEC thing. It's a college thing and we see it all the time since we're dealing with 18-22 year olds. One week a team will win or lose a big game and then they sleep walk through their next game since they are playing a bottom feeder.

Remember last year's Fiesta Bowl with TCU/Boise? Everyone was pissed about those two being matched up against each other. You cant tell me they wanted to be at that game playing each other instead of playing a BCS team. And we as fans get stuck watching a horrible game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
So they found out that Cam Newton was going to get expelled from Florida because of academic cheating? What else is going to be uncovered about this guy?

The worst part is that nothing will even come of this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
So they found out that Cam Newton was going to get expelled from Florida because of academic cheating? What else is going to be uncovered about this guy?

- 12 traffic citations

- 1 felony

- caught cheating (possibly numerous times)

- asked for large sum of money to go to Miss St. (and likely received that large sum form Auburn)

Yes, what else will be discovered? I love how the person(s) revealing this stuff about Cam have turned into the "villain" here. Amazing spin...

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)

Who gives a s*** if he cheated at Florida? He isn't there anymore. He went to a JUCO, and then went to Auburn. As long he isn't cheating at Auburn, who cares what he did two schools ago??? Urban Meyer welcomed him back to the team after his felony arrest too.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
- 12 traffic citations

- 1 felony

- asked for large sum of money to go to Miss St. (and likely received that large sum form Auburn)

Yes, what else will be discovered? I love how the person(s) revealing this stuff about Cam have turned into the "villain" here. Amazing spin...

I don't think the people revealing it should be turned into villians at all. But I just don't see why everyone suddenly thinks he shouldn't win the Heisman cause of what he did at Florida or what his rep has been rumored, but not proven to have done. He's one of the best eligible college players, and until its proven that he was paid to play at Auburn, thats not gonna change. Plus, I'm sure $200k is a deal for a player of his caliber in the SEC anyway.

- 12 traffic citations

- 1 felony

I can hear the Raiders and Cowboys ready to fight over him already.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
I don't think the people revealing it should be turned into villians at all. But I just don't see why everyone suddenly thinks he shouldn't win the Heisman cause of what he did at Florida or what his rep has been rumored, but not proven to have done. He's one of the best eligible college players, and until its proven that he was paid to play at Auburn, thats not gonna change. Plus, I'm sure $200k is a deal for a player of his caliber in the SEC anyway.

You've got that right. $200k is a freaking steal for what Cam Newton has done this year.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
This should end the Hawkins era at Colorado.

Kansas down 45-17 scores 35 straight points in 11 minutes to take a 52-45 lead. Colorado then comes back in the final minute to get into the KU redzone before getting stopped.

What a crazy day in football. 130+ points in Michigan, Duke-Viginia had 103 points scored and this game almost hit triple digits.

And it did.

"IT'S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!!!"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Who gives a s*** if he cheated at Florida? He isn't there anymore. He went to a JUCO, and then went to Auburn. As long he isn't cheating at Auburn, who cares what he did two schools ago??? Urban Meyer welcomed him back to the team after his felony arrest too.

I dont care. I was just hypothesizing on what they are going to discover next on the kid, he's already shown a track record of cheating and negative behavior, its just a matter of time until something is found at Auburn.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
And it did.

"IT'S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!!!"

One of my favorite coaches rants, for sure. And you know what, I agreed with him about that 100%. His players had a month off of football. That's plenty of time when your a major D1 athlete.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
Who is blaming Utah? Utah came to play that night and Alabama didnt want to be there so they got embarrassed and deservedly so.

And it's not a SEC thing. It's a college thing and we see it all the time since we're dealing with 18-22 year olds. One week a team will win or lose a big game and then they sleep walk through their next game since they are playing a bottom feeder.

Remember last year's Fiesta Bowl with TCU/Boise? Everyone was pissed about those two being matched up against each other. You cant tell me they wanted to be at that game playing each other instead of playing a BCS team. And we as fans get stuck watching a horrible game.

The point is the inference was made that Alabama gets off the hook or Utah's win doesn't count enough because Bama didn't want to be there. I say that's horses***. It IS an SEC thing. SEC fans want to tell everyone how good they are but then make excuses when they lose. There is always some reason they lost other than they just flat out got beat.

- 12 traffic citations

- 1 felony

The guy is a villain because he is revealing information protected by federal privacy laws for no reason. If someone working at Florida leaked that info, they would be fired immediately. Whether he plagiarized a paper or whatver, who the hell cares? He's eligible to play at Auburn and that would have no effect on it. What is the purpose of smearing the kid? No one has proven anything about him asking for money. Either way, the academic issues at a former school have zero effect on that. Publishing federally protected information reeks of a smear campaign and bush league journalism. That's why the messenger is being blamed. I guess it doesn't matter that a former colleague at the NY Times had the info first and the NYT would not allow it to be published? It's total BS.

Let's also keep in mind the felony charges were dropped and they were 2-3 years ago. He went to JC and was admitted to Auburn, cleared by the NCAA to do so. None of that matters. And traffic citations? You have to be freakin kidding me!!!

This is exactly why I will never become a fan of an SEC team. I live in the middle of it all, but it is completely ridiculous. Coaches are constantly whining, turning each other in for cheating while finding ways to "stretch" the rules themselves. The whole things is so hypocritical its ridiculous. If you can't win games, tear down the other guy is the league motto apparently.

Now if you can find me real evidence that Newton was invloved in these strangely timed allegations or is cheating at Auburn now, I'll be interested. Until then, posting about traffic citations and this BS from FOXSports today is simply ridiculous and sad.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
I dont care. I was just hypothesizing on what they are going to discover next on the kid, he's already shown a track record of cheating and negative behavior, its just a matter of time until something is found at Auburn.

I find it sad that adults feel it necessary to dig into every nook and cranny to find info to smear a college kid. My God, did you never do anything in college that would be unbelievably embrassaing if made public? I sure did and would be willing to say that at least 75% of college kids

The thing I don't get is this was turned in by Missippi State when it happened. Yet, MSU continued to recruit him. The SEC know about it and relayed the info to the NCAA in August, I believe. You think if he stuck with Miss. St they would be telling everyone about this now? Hell no! Why now? What purpose does it serve when it is still pretty much a rumor and there has been no connection to his Auburn recruitment. You say this happened at MSU and he went to Auburn so it MUST have happened there too? That would fly in a court of law, wouldn't it? There is next to zero ethics and credibility in journalism today. It used to be that a real journalist/publication wouldn't print allegations without proof. My how the world has changed.

Rex, I had a long post typed out. But I'll keep it short. IF these allegations are found to be true, can you at least agree that the kid is a piece of crap?

I do agree that allegations that haven't been backed up with facts yet get passed around rampantly in the media these days, especially in SEC football circles.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
Rex, I had a long post typed out. But I'll keep it short. IF these allegations are found to be true, can you at least agree that the kid is a piece of crap?

I do agree that allegations that haven't been backed up with facts yet get passed around rampantly in the media these days, especially in SEC football circles.

Which allegations? The ones that came out today about him turning in a paper he got off the internet and putting his name on another student's paper? Not one iota. First of all, it smells. How do you put your name on another student's work and that student not know it? And the other student's name wasn't on it? The story is fishy. But say it is true. I'm not condoning cheating, but I can think of a million things worse than cheating on a term paper. Hell, LaMichel James was suspened for what? Domestic abuse with his girlfriend? Which is worse? That's a no brainer if you ask me.

Kids do stupid things. Kids make mistakes. I know nothing about Cam Newton and his background. Maybe he is an ass (though no one locally has given that indication even before the season started)? Maybe he rebelled because he's a preacher's kid? Maybe he was/is a thug? Or maybe he just did some stupid things, thought way too much of himself and has had to learn a lesson. Going from Florida to Blinn JC has to be a wake up call, does it not?

If you're talking about the allegations about the money, no one has any proof at all the kid even knew. If he did, then my opinion would certainly change. But revealing petty things from his past doesn't make me assume the former is true. And for a journalist to openly campaign for other Heisman voters to not vote for the kid is tacky at the least.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton, admitted in separate phone conversations to a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last year.

Mississippi State compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations to Southeastern Conference compliance officials in January, according to two other sources close to the football program.

Prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, one of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State, a request the source said the school would not meet. Cecil Newton also referred the recruiter to a third person that would provide more specifics, the source said.

SEC blog

Low ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.

• Blog network:

College Football Nation

After Newton committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam Newton phoned another recruiter to express regret about his change of commitment from Mississippi State, stating that his father Cecil had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

The NCAA is investigating allegations surrounding the Newtons in regards to the recruiting process. Cam Newton, who is having a Heisman-caliber season for No. 2 Auburn, declined comment.

Cecil Newton, who previously has denied any wrongdoing, did not respond to an e-mail request for comment Tuesday night.

Auburn did not respond to a request for comment. The school has repeatedly said it looked into Newton's recruitment and that he remains eligible.

Earlier Tuesday, Auburn found itself defending Newton in the wake of allegations of academic cheating when he was at Florida. The Tigers' coach, Gene Chizik, dismissed a FoxSports.com report as "pure garbage" in an emotional 4-minute, 25-second rant.

"I'm standing up here on a very important week trying to defend something that's garbage," Chizik said. Auburn faces Georgia on Saturday.

FoxSports.com reported Monday that Newton was caught cheating three times and was to appear for a hearing in front of Florida's Student Committee facing possible expulsion during the spring semester of 2009.

Newton transferred to Blinn Junior College in Brenham, Texas, where he played last season. He declined to discuss the latest report, which came on the heels of former Mississippi State quarterback John Bond telling ESPN.com that someone claiming to represent the Newton family sought money during his recruitment by the school.

Sources told ESPN.com the man who said he was representing the Newtons was Kenny Rogers, who played in the 1980s for Mississippi State alongside Bond.

"I'm not going to entertain something that took place not three months, not six months, not a year but two years ago," Cam Newton said. "I'm not going to sit up here and say anything about it, whether I did or did not do it, because I don't want to beat a dead horse talking about it. It's not going to affect me any way, shape or fashion."

Cecil Newton talked about the allegations earlier Tuesday on Paul Finebaum's syndicated sports talk radio show in Alabama.

"This is a character assassination attempt," he said on the show. "Who is going to profit and why are they are going to profit? We sure don't.

"I think there's a group of people who have a hidden agenda and don't want to see him as a Heisman nominee, let alone winner," he said.

In Gainesville, Florida coach Urban Meyer said in a statement that neither he nor anyone on his staff leaked information on Newton's academic record, calling it a "ridiculous claim."

"For anyone to think that I or anyone on our staff may have leaked information about private student records to the media doesn't know us very well," Meyer said. "It's a ridiculous claim and simply not true."

Cam Newton said Meyer was a man of integrity.

"I would hope he wouldn't say anything like that," he said.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who also recruited Newton out of Blinn, said he saw "nothing at all" out of the ordinary during that process.

"Our recruitment of Cameron could not have been better, or was just fine," Stoops said. "I didn't notice anything and none of our coaches did as we were recruiting him."

Joe Schad is a national college football reporter for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)

So Oklahoma finds nothing abnormal. MSU reports this months ago, the NCAA got it in August, yet ESPN digs all this up this quickly? My questions are why now? Who is leaking the information? What do they have to gain? Is it sour grapes since Auburn is undefeated and he is a Heisman candidate? Why did this story break in August or September? Would it have ever broke if Newton was an average QB?

It could be true, but forgive me for questioning the motives of the sources.

Again, I could care less about the academic stuff at Florida. I find it appaling that private information is revealed. He's eligible per the NCAA at Auburn. Why do I care about a test or paper he supposedly cheated on?

I find it interesting that the Fox Sports "writer" agreed to come on to the morning show here in Birmingham today, yet bailed at the last minute texting the producer that he was "hospitalized".

Right now all you have are rumors and he said/she said. All of it seems to come from Miss State, yet Oklahoma says nothing was abnormal at all? Do you not think other schools would have reported it if they were told it would cost money?

Too many questions not answered. Even if it is all true, I'll stick by my position at this time. It sounds to me like a helluva lot of sour grapes.

I guess it just depends on who you want to believe.... from auburnsports.com

Two independent sources with detailed knowledge of the UF academic discipline system during the period in question have disputed the Evans story. According to the sources, no allegations of academic impropriety regarding Cam Newton were sent to the Florida Student Conduct Committee at any time either during or after Newton's time at UF.

"Nothing was reported, officially or unofficially" says one source, who did not wish to be identified. "The formal process is for allegations to go through the Student Conduct Committee. If [any allegations against Newton] didn't follow that process, then they didn't follow the rules."

Newton enrolled at Florida in the spring of 2007 and transferred to Blinn College in January of 2009.

Per the source, no charges against Newton were ever brought to the Student Conduct Committee during that time.

The source also indicated that no Florida football players have ever been officially reported to the UF Student Conduct Committee for academic violations during Urban Meyer's tenure.

According to the source, student arrests are subject to additional discipline via the Student Conduct Committee, but it is not uncommon for students in such situations "to cut a deal with the Dean of Students' office before coming to the Committee."

At the time of Newton's enrollment at UF, if attempts to informally settle academic disputes failed, academic violations issues were referred from the Dean of Students office to the Student Conduct Committee, where a hearing chaired by a member of the UF Honor Board would be conducted.

No charges against Newton, to the first source's knowledge, were ever sent to the UF Student Conduct Committee.

A second, independently verified source, also with detailed knowledge of the Florida student disciplinary system, took issue with Evans' assertion that Newton, had he actually been charged with academic misconduct, would have been in danger of expulsion. "I worked ten or twelve cases," the second source says, "and I never saw anyone get expelled."

The second source, who also declined to be identified, also says no charges regarding Newton were ever brought to the Student Conduct Committee, noting, "If Cameron Newton would have come before the committee, we would have known about it."

The second source also expressed indignation over the possible leak of student information to the media.

"That is completely confidential. We're not allowed to say anything to anyone.

"The person that was in charge of [students'] academic records is a very ethical person. Someone like him would never have released anything."

NIU scored 65 points tonight to beat our rivals Toledo and basically clinch the MAC West. I'm sure most don't care, but I had a great time at the game!

As for the big story though, the Cam Newton stuff just seems like a lot of he said/she said right now. I know that where there is smoke, there is fire, particularly when it comes to improprieties in big time college recruiting. But I need more evidence in front of me before I call Newton cheating scum.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)
Another piece on Cam Newton.

http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=13454296

There isn't much new news there. The story starts by saying ESPN says......

and another....

FBI To Interview John Bond

Nov.09, 2010 in Uncategorized

Various sources have reported that agents from the FBI have asked to interview John Bond concerning his recent allegations and denials. Bond’s attorney confirmed the FBI inquiry, while implying his client was misstated in the recent articles and does not have first hand knowledge of any wrongdoing, only hearsay through third and fourth parties. The agent who contacted Bond told him (according to TMZ.com), “We are interested in whether young men are being shopped to colleges.”

I'm not going to say that I don't believe something may have happened. I just tend to not to crucify someone until more facts are known. There are too many questions about why this is all coming out now and who is behind leaking all of this information for me to believe a bunch of he said/she said at face value.

Edited by Rex Hudler