Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
Zen, are Miami fans thinking Edsal is going to be the new Miami coach, or is that just more BS rumors?

It has been a very quiet week on the rumor mill since the Gruden talk/meeting.

The latest is the job is Petersen's if he wants it. Starting to get the same steam as the Gruden rumors did among Miami fans last week.

I think most Miami fans want Al Golden or Edsall. But I think Edsall will be the next coach at Miami. I dont know anyone or have sources but I dont think Edsall would pass the chance up.

--Did you hear something more than just Miami and Edsall having a conversation?

Edited by zenryan

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)
--Did you hear something more than just Miami and Edsall having a conversation?

Sorry, just saw some posters on a Miami board trying to hint a deal was done already with one of the candidates, and others hinted towards Edsall. I wouldn't be shocked if Peterson took the job. He knows one loss at Boise State will kill him every year.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
I'm in 'Bama for the week for work. Man, it's crazy how much more everyone is into college football down here. More than 50% of the people have Alabama or Auburn gear on.

Well one is the defending champ and one is going to the title game this year. Both fan bases have extra reason to be showing their colors.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:34 AM)
Not really sure where to put this, but...

Tennessee is the only school to be top-5 nationally in attendance in football and men's/women's hoops in same year... and we've done it 7 times.

Neyland Stadium is the 3rd largest football stadium in the country. How many college basketball arenas can seat over 21, 500? Those stats are pretty much given due to their facilities.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Well one is the defending champ and one is going to the title game this year. Both fan bases have extra reason to be showing their colors.

Catch is danman, they don't need the extra reason. It's 12 months a year like this regardless. Like nothing I've ever seen. Strange, where in Bama are you staying?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 07:08 AM)
Catch is danman, they don't need the extra reason. It's 12 months a year like this regardless. Like nothing I've ever seen. Strange, where in Bama are you staying?

Decatur. I'll be driving down to Birmingham to catch a flight in a couple of hours, hopefully Midway isn't shut down. I'll likely be back in the area next week.

The guy I'm working with primarily has several family pictures on his desk. Everyone, even the babies, are wearing Alabama gear in every photo. You see a lot of Bears gear in Chicago year round, but nothing like this.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
Decatur. I'll be driving down to Birmingham to catch a flight in a couple of hours, hopefully Midway isn't shut down. I'll likely be back in the area next week.

The guy I'm working with primarily has several family pictures on his desk. Everyone, even the babies, are wearing Alabama gear in every photo. You see a lot of Bears gear in Chicago year round, but nothing like this.

Try living here! As I said before, it's 12 months a year! If the teams are good, everybody talks about how good they are. If they aren't, they talk about why they should be better. There is no end.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
Neyland Stadium is the 3rd largest football stadium in the country. How many college basketball arenas can seat over 21, 500? Those stats are pretty much given due to their facilities.

Which came first, the stadia or the fanbases?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
Rumor on a Pitt board that they have offered Rhoads the Pitt job and he has the weekend to decide.

Really, really doubt it.

Though, I suppose if thats the case, Holgorsen can come back to Iowa!

Why would you doubt it? Miami fans have talked about Rhoads so I'm sure he is other the radar for other schools too.

I'm surprised on Florida's decision to get Muschamp. Muschamp could be the next great thing but I would have thought UF would have taken their time more before signing an assistant as HC. But maybe UF had him really high on their list to start with.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
I wonder what Miami will do. I think they need to hit a homerun because the legend of Miami could end up being no more. They haven't really been relevant since their last National Championship game against an OSU team.

They seem to be down to Al Golden or Randy Edsal. I can't imagine Marc Trestman truly being an option. My guess is Al Golden at this point, he would be a solid hire.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
I wonder how Muschamp will do. I wonder what Miami will do. I think they need to hit a homerun because the legend of Miami could end up being no more. They haven't really been relevant since their last National Championship game against an OSU team.

In 2005, Miami was 8-1 and third in the BCS before losing to GT. It didnt matter anyways since USC and Texas went undefeated.

Pretty excited about Golden being hired. Turned Temple around and he is a young, energetic coach with a blue collar mentality. We'll see how long he stays once JoePa dies.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
Pretty excited about Golden being hired. Turned Temple around and he is a young, energetic coach with a blue collar mentality. We'll see how long he stays once JoePa dies.

I find it interesting that Kansas and Miami hired coaches with similar resumes. I'm not sure if that's a bad sign for Miami or a good one for Kansas.

I haven't been able to comment on the coaching stuff yet, so:

Definitely a big fan of the Golden hire for Miami. Amazing what he was able to do at Temple.

Muschamp doesn't scare me at Florida. I would have been much more worried about someone like Stoops, Petrino, or Mullen. Now, I'm not saying he won't be a good coach, but without any head coaching experience, there's going to be a learning curve. Regardless, they have so much talent it's hard not to win there.

Also, it looks like Malzahn is going to take the Vandy job. That's another fantastic hire. Vanderbilt finally opened up the checkbook and got a big-time hire. I think seeing the success of schools like Northwestern and Stanford made a lot of Vandy people realize there's no reason they can't be successful too. Being in the SEC, I don't think they'll ever compete for championships like Stanford has been able to do this year, but I could see them winning 7-8 games and their fans would be incredibly happy with that.

Here's the question: Will Malzahn stay for the National Championship game? If he doesn't, that's going to definitely swing things in Oregon's favor.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
Leave it to UF to steal the spotlight of the Heisman.

Muschamp and Jimbo are really good friends, both were at LSU before the Saban/Dolphin thing. I could definitely see the FSU/UF game moving to early in the season now.

That has to be one of the best college football staffs of all-time. 5 current head coaches: Saban, Fisher, Dooley, Muschamp, Mike Haywood (Miami-Ohio).

Edited by dasox24