Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)
I was at the Texas Bowl tonight. Illinois was just too dominant on both lines, and I must say, Leshoure is legit. I think we all knew that but watching him in person, reading the blocks and.then accelerating through the hole was a real treat. I don't see how he won't be successful in the NFL. And unfortunately for Illinois, he'd be dumb to come back to school. I don't see how he could have a better season than this.

The defense also came up huge today, and while Griffin had a big game, that was expected, and Illinois limited the rest of the players, which is exactly what they needed to do. Only complaint is that the mid- and deep-middle were open all day for Baylor. If Griffin had connected with a few open receivers, it could have been a whole different ball game. But, Illinois took advantage of that, and that's what winning teams do.

Also, I think I was the only person in the stadium not fooled by Scheelhaase's TD run at the end of the game. I loved the play call.

Zooker should be using the RB situation as a huge selling point in recruiting. Pierre Thomas, Mendenhall and now Leshoure. I think he's got a chance (depending on the team that drafts him obviously) to be the same kind of back as those guys - very powerful, difficult to tackle, and just enough speed to get past guys. Leshoure reminded me a lot last night of Mendenhall in the Rosebowl.

Good win for Illinois. Still not all jazzed about Zook coming back next year, but s***, had they not imploded at the end of the season this is a 10+ win team this year. I dare say the experiment of the two big time coordinators and Zook as the recruiting coordinator worked out pretty well. They'll lose some guys to the NFL, but I think there's a ton of talent on this team, and Scheelhaase appears to be a legit QB. If he continues to develop it'll be a fun couple of years in Champaign.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
I dont think anyone can classify a team that is outside the top 10 as being a really good team anymore. The past few years it seems that 2 or 3 teams are "top tier" and then it gets jumbled.

I'll put my 2 cents behind this.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
Never realized how much of a whiny little b**** Dooley is at Tennessee. Wow.

yeah, I think the same thing every time I see him. I wonder if it's because he looks like he's 20.

is there not a 10 second run off in college football?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Never realized how much of a whiny little b**** Dooley is at Tennessee. Wow.

Ha, okay... That ending was bulls*** and you know it. Lucky f***ing rule saved your asses. NCAA needs a run-off on penalties like that. No excuse for there not to be. Oh, and on that long reception at the end, that was clearly not a helmet to helmet hit.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
Ha, okay... That ending was bulls*** and you know it. Lucky f***ing rule saved your asses. NCAA needs a run-off on penalties like that. No excuse for there not to be. Oh, and on that long reception at the end, that was clearly not a helmet to helmet hit.

It was a correct PF, but I don't think that was a catch. Tennessee is the unluckiest team. When the ref says 'the game is over' and you lose, wow.

Also, woo Big 12. Though, I gotta say I loved Nebraska losing, the conference is stinking it up against inferior competition. If ever there was a game that proved how BS bowl games are it's the Holiday Bowl. Nebraska clearly was better and f***ed Washington in Washington this year and lost in the bowl. Bowl games are exhibitions. Don't evaluate teams on them.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
It was a correct PF, but I don't think that was a catch. Tennessee is the unluckiest team. When the ref says 'the game is over' and you lose, wow.

Also, woo Big 12. Though, I gotta say I loved Nebraska losing, the conference is stinking it up against inferior competition. If ever there was a game that proved how BS bowl games are it's the Holiday Bowl. Nebraska clearly was better and f***ed Washington in Washington this year and lost in the bowl. Bowl games are exhibitions. Don't evaluate teams on them.

Some (most) are. Others clearly are not.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
Maybe Tyler Bray will learn to do a little less 'saluting' next time around. Grow up, kid. The game ain't over until it is over.

Yeah, I agree. I think his celebration was a little overboard at the end, but I've never seen him do anything like that before. Clearly his emotions got the best of him, but I'll chalk that up to him being a TRUE freshman. He's 18. I'd rather he show a little confidence/cockiness, though, than mope around so I'll take it even if it was dumb.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Yeah, I agree. I think his celebration was a little overboard at the end, but I've never seen him do anything like that before. Clearly his emotions got the best of him, but I'll chalk that up to him being a TRUE freshman. He's 18. I'd rather he show a little confidence/cockiness, though, than mope around so I'll take it even if it was dumb.

He's a hell of a player and Tennessee has a ton of young talent. I was just disappointed with Dooley's whining, and that was before the craziness of the end of the game.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
He's a hell of a player and Tennessee has a ton of young talent. I was just disappointed with Dooley's whining, and that was before the craziness of the end of the game.

I'm surprised this isn't getting more play, but a reporter in the press box is saying that after the game, the UNC coaches "sprinted out of the box screaming 'Sloppy Top, Sloppy Top, you'll always be assholes to me!' You want to talk about disappointing? That's absurd and incredibly immature. Aren't coaches supposed to act with a little more class than that?

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
Charlie Weis to Florida as Offensive Coordinator??? Are you serious? Why the hell would he leave the NFL to take the same position as the college level? Great, the SEC is all f***ed.

Why would that mean the SEC is F***ed? He didn't exactly put out incredible teams at ND, even if they were solid on offense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
Why would that mean the SEC is F***ed? He didn't exactly put out incredible teams at ND, even if they were solid on offense.

Weis may not be a good Head Coach, but there is no question he's an awesome Offensive Coordinator. Look what he's done with the Chiefs in his only year there. Offense was never the problem at ND, and he certainly had really good offenses with the Patriots. He does a phenomenal job with QBs and brings a ton of experience to Florida. You give him the talent at Florida combined with his offensive system/know-how... It's scary.