Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
A guy on ESPN this morning said something along the lines of "The FBI is still investigating. they may be slow, but they are thorough." THen went on to say that when this is all over it will be VERY muddy.

I dunno what you guys are talking about...Cam said he was an instrument of God!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
I know I'm in the minority but the college game has just lost it appeal on me. I just find the spread offenses gimmicky and while they are creative I can't help but somehow be bored by watching a bunch of defensive players who can't make open field tackles. Maybe I'm a football purist but the pro game has become so much more appealing to me over the last 5 years or so whereas I used to enjoy college much more.

Its like watching Arena Football.

I just don't care for the entire system....the super long layoff, the lack of a playoff, the constant controversy, the NCAA legislation....I just can hardly stomach it anymore...

Now NCAA basketball....now that, they have right...

I barely ever watch college football, but from what I've seen this season it was clear that Auburn was going to win, whoever they played. The only thing I like about Auburn is Frank Thomas and Charles Barkley. The boyfriend and future fiance of a girl I know goes there. I was hoping dearly they would (improbably) get had by Oregon...

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Les Miles staying at LSU.

And Michigan will probably have to settle for Brady Hoke. How the mighty have fallen.

Last night was probably as boring an exciting game as I can remember watching. Auburn should cherish every day they have with this title, because you get the feeling they won't have it anymore in 3 or 4 years. I hope I'm wrong though, I would hate to see a National Championship vacated.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
I know I'm in the minority but the college game has just lost it appeal on me. I just find the spread offenses gimmicky and while they are creative I can't help but somehow be bored by watching a bunch of defensive players who can't make open field tackles. Maybe I'm a football purist but the pro game has become so much more appealing to me over the last 5 years or so whereas I used to enjoy college much more.

Defenses that can make open field tackles defeat the spread offenses. The read option which Oregon runs in their "go-go" is primarily a running offense designed to beat team that overpursue. However it is weak against stronger teams and teams that tackle in space. Oregon's offense has looked more than pedestrian in their last two bowl games scoring 17 and 19 points yet tearing up the Pac-10 year in and year out. I still favor the more conventional pro offense, which spread is more focused on passing.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
I dont think he was the answer anyways, from all accounts LSU fans don't think much of him.

Casual LSU fans hate him,, realists know that he has been extremely successful.

And why would he leave anyway? You are at LSU in the middle of tons of football talent in the SEC and you can oversign the s*** out of every class incoming. Arkansas has signed more than an entire class over OSU in the last 4 years due to the SEC practice. If I was a coach, no way I would leave that conference, especially at one that is considered a power these days.

It's past the point of being absurd now. Every year college football stretches out its postseason, the more irrelevant it becomes. It's a wasted sport. It's the bad orgasm of sports. You know how sometimes you'll be jerking off and you'll try and hold the orgasm for a second so that it's real good but then you f*** up and touch your peepee at just the wrong time and the whole thing is ruined? That's college football. It's the dribbling jizz on the mattress of American sport.

http://deadspin.com/5730509/this-is-why-th...-a-pile-of-s***

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
Defenses that can make open field tackles defeat the spread offenses. The read option which Oregon runs in their "go-go" is primarily a running offense designed to beat team that overpursue. However it is weak against stronger teams and teams that tackle in space. Oregon's offense has looked more than pedestrian in their last two bowl games scoring 17 and 19 points yet tearing up the Pac-10 year in and year out. I still favor the more conventional pro offense, which spread is more focused on passing.

I think it also helped both OSU and Auburn that they had over a month to prepare for Oregon's offense. If you have to face them with only a weak to prepare those games might go differently. I don't think Oregon score at will, but I doubt they get held to 17 or 19 pts which is one of the major problems with the BCS.

The article lost me when he wants students to completely stop caring about finals.

Argue that the season should start sooner (in August) and therefore the season should end before finals. But to argue that schools should completely discredit finals so that he has something to watch on Saturday is absurd.

Furthermore unless they go to a 12+ team playoff format, its going to end up being worse for non-aq teams than the BCS. TCU was 3rd and was a Auburn/Oregon loss away from a NC title chance. If you go to a playoff (4 team or 8 team) the spots are going to be reserved for the large conferences. No way is the Big 10, Sec or Pac 10 going to agree to anything less than an automatic bid in the playoff, thats 3 of 4 slots already, now if you get ACC, Big-12 and Big East involved you are looking at 6 conference champions being given automatic spots for 8 games. That would leave 2 open spots for all at large teams as well as 2nd teams in major conferences.

A way to try and get the bigger conferences to commit would be to offer a bye to the champions, but now you are talking 4 byes for potentially 6 conferences. There is just no way that everyone is going to be happy, so instead of worry about who really is the best team (none of the teams that played last night) we should just enjoy the show and hope for the best for these kids.

Most of them wont ever go onto the pros and for many the biggest moment will be a bowl game victory, so let them have it. The NCAA tournament is fun for basketball, but you still have people who argue that its unfair based on seeding, match up, pod location and a million other reasons. There is just no way you are ever going to really know about teams, when they play such diverse schedules.

Im not sure Oregon would have even finished in the top 3 in the SEC, yet they get a shot. Alabama who seemed like the most talented team, never gets a shot because of 1 fluke loss to Auburn and a schedule where they play @LSU @Ark, where as Auburn played those 2 games at home. Nothing is even in college football.

I just enjoy the games for what they are. Im not against a playoff, I just think that its unrealistic given the current dynamics of college sports. Youre more likely to see the power conferences come up with a deal where 4 of them agree to have their conference champs play a 2 game playoff, then a system where everyone has a shot.

I've only slightly come around to the idea of a playoff.

If Heads was in charge, the bowl season would begin around the same time that it does, but, it would be further condensed so that all non-BCS games are done before January 1. All BCS games would be on January 1. Four BCS bowls could keep traditional tie-ins or get seeded, don't really care:

Rose (Pac-12 and Big Ten)

Fiesta (Big 12 and whoever)

Orange (ACC and whoever)

Sugar (SEC and whoever)

With the Big East either signing on to a specific bowl or remaining an at-large. The four winners play two semifinal games on January 8, with a national title game on January 15. It would rotate between these bowl sites.

Of course, this will never happen, but I simply don't want to see the bowl games gone.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
And Michigan will probably have to settle for Brady Hoke. How the mighty have fallen.

Last night was probably as boring an exciting game as I can remember watching. Auburn should cherish every day they have with this title, because you get the feeling they won't have it anymore in 3 or 4 years. I hope I'm wrong though, I would hate to see a National Championship vacated.

Hoke has done a really nice job at San Diego State. It's not a sexy hire but I think it will be a good one.

Now Hoke needs to find a QB since it sounds like Robinson has asked and gotten a release from Michigan.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
Hoke has done a really nice job at San Diego State. It's not a sexy hire but I think it will be a good one.

Now Hoke needs to find a QB since it sounds like Robinson has asked and gotten a release from Michigan.

I've thought that there was more talent behind Robinson anyway in Devin Gardner, he is ridiculously talented.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
I think it also helped both OSU and Auburn that they had over a month to prepare for Oregon's offense. If you have to face them with only a weak to prepare those games might go differently. I don't think Oregon score at will, but I doubt they get held to 17 or 19 pts which is one of the major problems with the BCS.

They also get a month to plan for the defenses they are facing as well though.